1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 6.7L "STOP SAFELY NOW" -Towed

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 08:33 AM
CO_Ford2012
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 6.7L "STOP SAFELY NOW" -Towed

I bought this truck in August, and about 1,000 miles, I got a warning "in 50 miles, speed limited to 50MPH". Took it to the dealer, and the warning light disappeared, dealer thought the DEF fluid was low, so they added two gallons.
At about 2,000 miles, I had wrench and engine light, with "Reduced power mode"- Dealer re-flashed the PCM 3 times in three days, same problem. Took it to a different dealer, they reflashed it, and it worked fine until....
At 3,600 miles, driving Kenosha Pass in Colorado, I started losing power, I was barely able to drive 55, then "reduced power mode", and 5 seconds later, "Stop Safely now". Luckily I am on the downside of Kenosha pass, I lost all power but engine was running. I was able to roll into the first pull off (dirt road). Came to a complete stop and the engine died. Won't restart.
I am extremely ticked that Ford would shut down my engine, I could have been rear ended on a corner of that pass with no where to pull off (no shoulder). I also had my Polaris RZR in the bed.
I called Roadside, and they sent a tow truck, I was about 60 miles from the nearest dealer, and they said they only cover the first 35 miles, but then another person got on the line and said they would cover it.
We got to the dealership and noticed the tailpipe was covered in white ash. As of Oct 11, it is still at the dealership, they have no idea what is wrong, they do believe that the DEF fluid is leaking into the filter when it is not supposed to. I will update with a resolution.
Needless to say, 6 trips to 3 dealers in three months has my blood boiling.
Any ideas?

Old 10-16-2012, 08:59 AM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
I would be looking into lemon laws if it were me. It seems the dealers do not know what to do and are shooting in the dark. For what the truck costs there really is no excuse. Shutting the truck off and turning it into a brick is a severe safety hazard that Ford seems to be fine with because they designed it to do that when several different faults arise.

Old 10-16-2012, 10:42 AM
Firekite
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would get on the phone with Ford and explain the situation. They may be able to help. Otherwise call a lawyer and ask for a free consultation to see what they say. You don't have your info filled out, so we don't know where you're from, but it will vary state-to-state.

Old 10-16-2012, 11:36 AM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by CO_Ford2012
I bought this truck in August, and about 1,000 miles, I got a warning "in 50 miles, speed limited to 50MPH". Took it to the dealer, and the warning light disappeared, dealer thought the DEF fluid was low, so they added two gallons.
At about 2,000 miles, I had wrench and engine light, with "Reduced power mode"- Dealer re-flashed the PCM 3 times in three days, same problem. Took it to a different dealer, they reflashed it, and it worked fine until....
At 3,600 miles, driving Kenosha Pass in Colorado, I started losing power, I was barely able to drive 55, then "reduced power mode", and 5 seconds later, "Stop Safely now". Luckily I am on the downside of Kenosha pass, I lost all power but engine was running. I was able to roll into the first pull off (dirt road). Came to a complete stop and the engine died. Won't restart.
I am extremely ticked that Ford would shut down my engine, I could have been rear ended on a corner of that pass with no where to pull off (no shoulder). I also had my Polaris RZR in the bed.
I called Roadside, and they sent a tow truck, I was about 60 miles from the nearest dealer, and they said they only cover the first 35 miles, but then another person got on the line and said they would cover it.
We got to the dealership and noticed the tailpipe was covered in white ash. As of Oct 11, it is still at the dealership, they have no idea what is wrong, they do believe that the DEF fluid is leaking into the filter when it is not supposed to. I will update with a resolution.
Needless to say, 6 trips to 3 dealers in three months has my blood boiling.
Any ideas?
Sorry to hear about your troubles, several 6.7 owners have experienced similar issues. I believe in all cases the SCR emissions system is at fault. Hopefully the dealer can figure it out soon and get you on the road soon. If not, then you may have to find another dealer with properly trained 6.7 diesel mechanics....which is harder than it sounds (unfortunately).

You might try reading some in the 6.7 forum section...this particular issue has been discussed several times. You might find some useful info in one of those threads.

Good luck.

Old 10-16-2012, 03:08 PM
Pitcrw6
Logistics Pro
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Subscribed....

Old 10-17-2012, 08:14 AM
Gyrene4Life
Freshman User
I'll be watching this one too.

Old 10-25-2012, 08:45 AM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ouch, for some reason I'm out of character and have NOT tuned mine yet....
My Step-son DID put a flaspaq on his 2012 6.2L Raptor and seems to like it...

but I dunno,
just wondering if there may be more to this story as his other post says don't buy the Superchips programmer:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post12386076

Old 10-25-2012, 08:55 AM
mikeismadness
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Sounds like someone has the woes of a bad tuner problem. Im still unclear why someone hooks a tuner up to a truck with a warranty

Old 10-25-2012, 09:20 AM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 275 Likes on 138 Posts
Originally Posted by mikeismadness
Sounds like someone has the woes of a bad tuner problem. Im still unclear why someone hooks a tuner up to a truck with a warranty
There's no need for that here....

Old 11-07-2012, 01:09 PM
tnls98
New User
My 2011 6.7 did the same thing this morning STOP SAFELY NOW, but thanks god i made to the office and it won't start when i hop in the truck, ready to take off. Had to be towed to nearest dealership. The dealership said no loaner or rental car cover under factory warranty, and the truck mileages at 20k. The dealership said it took 2 days just for them to diagnose it.

Old 11-07-2012, 01:13 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by tnls98
My 2011 6.7 did the same thing this morning STOP SAFELY NOW, but thanks god i made to the office and it won't start when i hop in the truck, ready to take off. Had to be towed to nearest dealership. The dealership said no loaner or rental car cover under factory warranty, and the truck mileages at 20k. The dealership said it took 2 days just for them to diagnose it.
Sorry to hear about your troubles. Is your truck bone stock? Out of curiosity, how do you use your truck most days? Towing, unloaded, extended idling, off-roading etc...

Old 11-07-2012, 02:28 PM
maverick22
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tnls98
Sorry to hear about your truck. You might try posting this down in the 6.7 forum - those guys are the resident experts on that engine. 6.7L Power Stroke Diesel - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Old 11-07-2012, 04:51 PM
tnls98
New User
Normal driving everyday though out city of Houston, no off road, empty bed all time, idle is occasionally in and out, and no towing. I just replace my diesels fuel filters couple days ago at 20k, and wash my car weekly through Mister carwash....Which i don't think it matter.

Old 11-07-2012, 05:17 PM
2000silverbullet
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
A failed EGT sensor will do that. It's been covered (and experienced) a couple times by users here. If you search the 6.7 forum for "stop safely now", you'll get some hits on the topic.

Old 11-12-2012, 07:14 PM
tnls98
New User
Hi everyone, i got my truck back on Saturday...and guess what??? It's the EGT sensor, and cover under warranty. Until this morning, my check engine light came on. I am really having bad feeling about this truck. I have appointment to bring it in tomorrow, and god know how long it will take or what is happening. It just so annoying when my freaking dealership does not offer any type of loaner car. My advice for everyone is to take one step further....MAKE SURE THAT DEALER OFFER LOANER CAR, if you buy it brand new from them. Factory warranty does not offer rental car. I would think Twelve (not twice ) if i buy another Ford.

Quick Reply: 2012 6.7L "STOP SAFELY NOW" -Towed