Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Seriously torn right now....

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 08:04 PM
CSIPSD
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You will have to have it on a stand with a starter and flywheel hooked up to get numbers. I would not even bother, the guy you are buying from I have know for 8 years or more. He will not do you wrong. Get it cleaned up, painted and installed. Then do a compression test just to get a base line.

I would expect to see numbers in the 370+ area.

Old 10-16-2012, 10:38 PM
tshrager
Lead Driver
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Man this is a crazy thread. First and foremost thanks for your service JD. If you're still coming up to Ohio to do your swap I'm in Columbus, which is about 2-2.5 hrs to anywhere in the state, I'd be willing to assist in any way I can. I also have the compression tester all set up if you need it. BTW, if you still want to do injectors, Jim also sells Beans chips now, maybe you could get a military discount? Might be worth talking to him about.

Old 10-17-2012, 05:30 AM
JohnDeereFarmerUSMC
Tuned
Received 97 Likes on 63 Posts
Yea i'll have to talk to jim again, the beans chip is new-news to me lol. Im about and hour north of you in holmes county (millersburg to be precise lol....i know). And i should be pretty set, but can always use more back seat mechanic's to sit down, drink a cold one, and look at the daunting task ahead with hahaha. Your more than welcome (<---edited with correct word) to stop in and throw opinions and jokes at me if you want!

edit- and im not too worried about the motor, after talking to the guy, he knows what hes selling me, and im convinced its legitimate. Ill throw it in and test the compression just to double check. Oh and does jim sell the tunes? Or just his chips? Or have the ability to burn the tunes? If so that would be stinkin' awesome, and save me alot of time and hassle.

Old 10-17-2012, 07:49 AM
tshrager
Lead Driver
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDeereFarmerUSMC
Yea i'll have to talk to jim again, the beans chip is new-news to me lol. Im about and hour north of you in holmes county (millersburg to be precise lol....i know). And i should be pretty set, but can always use more back seat mechanic's to sit down, drink a cold one, and look at the daunting task ahead with hahaha. Your more than willing to stop in and throw opinions and jokes at me if you want!

edit- and im not too worried about the motor, after talking to the guy, he knows what hes selling me, and im convinced its legitimate. Ill throw it in and test the compression just to double check. Oh and does jim sell the tunes? Or just his chips? Or have the ability to burn the tunes? If so that would be stinkin' awesome, and save me alot of time and hassle.
Now I haven't heard this straight from the horses mouth, but Jim was selling PHP and may very well still be, but he also carries Beans now. He can do the TS chip, tunes and reburns as far as I know. A quick call or email should confirm all that for you.

Old 10-17-2012, 07:59 AM
JohnDeereFarmerUSMC
Tuned
Originally Posted by tshrager
Now I haven't heard this straight from the horses mouth, but Jim was selling PHP and may very well still be, but he also carries Beans now. He can do the TS chip, tunes and reburns as far as I know. A quick call or email should confirm all that for you.

Ill shoot him an e-mail! Thanks for the heads up again this will make everything alot easier if i can just 1 stop shop the sticks and injectors.

Old 10-17-2012, 11:55 AM
2000ca250
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did you check and confirm that this engine that was out of a van comes with a van turbo?

Old 10-17-2012, 12:15 PM
JohnDeereFarmerUSMC
Tuned
I did indeed, spoke with him for about 45mins last night actually, pretty good guy. Im getting the van turbo, injectors, and hpop (im getting a COMPLETE motor) with everything except the fan. Now obviously ill swap over my stuff to make the superduty parts work, and depending on the condition of the turbo consider using that, or sell the core stock parts off and use those fund for a new turbo setup. Well cross that bridge when i get to it. As for right now im not too worried as long as the motor runs and runs solid. Im saving enough money going this route, i can afford to fix some issues i have if the setup doesnt work together.

Couple of quick questions, because ive never painted a block (motor) and ive already spoken to joe about the IC pipes/spider, but is it the same? clean it up real good and paint it? Obviously ill be using some sort of engine enamel or engine specific paint, going to look into ordering that today.

As far as special tools, i already have hpop line quick disconnect tool, the only thing else would be 3/8 fuel line disconnect right?

Also in addition to those curious, response from Jim @ Rosewood Diesel in regards to him selling beans chips/tunes

Jeremy,
YUP, I sell BDP tunes, too. Cost will depend on exactly which tunes you pick, but they are typically $425 - $450 for the chip and 6 tunes.
I will need your PCM/ECM code, which tunes you want, and payment to order the tunes, which usually takes about 2 to 3 days to get.

Old 10-17-2012, 01:11 PM
2000ca250
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That is awesome news. I wouldnt get rid of the van turbo. If its in poor condition I would simply rebuild it and you're set. Looks like FTE has struck again and saved you a ton of money. Even better news is that not only did you save a bunch of money on the engine build, but you are also getting a van turbo, one of the turbos that was recommended for you with 160/100's along with the engine. Now you can run it and your stocker, figure out which one works best and is best to your liking, then sell the other one along with the other things off of the engine. Congrats man, sounds like you are right where you want to be.

Old 10-17-2012, 01:57 PM
JohnDeereFarmerUSMC
Tuned
Originally Posted by 2000ca250
That is awesome news. I wouldnt get rid of the van turbo. If its in poor condition I would simply rebuild it and you're set. Looks like FTE has struck again and saved you a ton of money. Even better news is that not only did you save a bunch of money on the engine build, but you are also getting a van turbo, one of the turbos that was recommended for you with 160/100's along with the engine. Now you can run it and your stocker, figure out which one works best and is best to your liking, then sell the other one along with the other things off of the engine. Congrats man, sounds like you are right where you want to be.

Definitely, you guys have been amazing, i cant thank everyone enough. Ill be putting the entire build/swap/process and story on here with pictures and videos, and document any issues i run into along the way. Theres only a couple of complete start to finish engine swap/build threads out there that ive found so i hope ill have something new to help someone sometime!