1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 SD (Gas and Diesel) Quotes, need advice, XPIN???

Old 10-15-2012, 06:55 PM
the_justin
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 SD (Gas and Diesel) Quotes, need advice, XPIN???

Been looking at trading in my 09 F250 on a newer model. They will give me fair market value for my trade in so I decided to investigate further. I have a smaller 5th wheel that my 5.4L tows just fine (9000 lbs) so I know the 6.2L which is even stronger will tow it just fine (PLEASE, PLEASE no gas vs. diesel flaming here, that is not what this thread is for). I have also looked at the possibility of getting a 6.7L (diesel) which would allow me to upgrade my trailer to a bigger model. And just as background I am here in Anchorage where our current incentives are 3,000 for a gas SD or 4,000 for a diesel SD.

In any event, I had selected several models and received preliminary "internet quotes" which seem to shed a good chunk off the MSRP, not sure what others around here are getting though so I would like to compare.

The first model that initially caught my eye was a F250 King Ranch 6.7L fully stacked, the MSRP is 65325 but they are offering at 53888.

The other truck I really liked was a F350 DRW lariat with the 6.2L with a MSRP if 50760 and they are quoting 46523.

The discount on the King Ranch seems pretty good. I really like the gasser diesel but that discount seems pretty weak, what do you guys think? I am going to head in tomorrow and ask to see the invoices on a few models. Does anyone in here have an Super Duty XPLAN they can hook a loyal ford buyer up with?

In any event looking for advice. I know my last truck was priced similarly to the 6.2L I mentioned above at approximately 50K and they were offering 10K off the sticker. With the 2013's around the corner I figured I would be getting the same. If I can get that F350 down to 40-42,000 down from the MSRP of 50760 I would pull the trigger no doubt........

Old 10-15-2012, 08:19 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
First off, I'm a diesel guy. I love diesel, but I also live in Texas where it's a little bit warmer in the winter than where you are.

I'd say you need to decide what you want from a vehicle, and figure in when you plan on using it. Comparing a King Ranch to a Lariat is obviously going to have a price difference. How important is the difference in those packages to you?

Gas vs. Diesel is also an obvious price difference. Are you serious about upgrading the trailer? If so, why are you considering the 6.2 vs the 6.7 diesel instead of the V-10 vs diesel?

Do you tow in the winter? Do you understand what the effects of the gel point of diesel fuel and the DEF will have on your plans? If you're only looking for a good deal, have you considered waiting and buying one of the last 2012's on the lot when they are really pushing the 2013's?

Lastly, what does the better half think?

Old 10-15-2012, 09:14 PM
redford
Received 1,550 Likes on 905 Posts
Alaskans are real good about plugging vehicles in (gas or diesel) when the weather gets frigid.

Old 10-15-2012, 10:11 PM
the_justin
Senior User
Originally Posted by F350-6
First off, I'm a diesel guy. I love diesel, but I also live in Texas where it's a little bit warmer in the winter than where you are.

I'd say you need to decide what you want from a vehicle, and figure in when you plan on using it. Comparing a King Ranch to a Lariat is obviously going to have a price difference. How important is the difference in those packages to you?

Gas vs. Diesel is also an obvious price difference. Are you serious about upgrading the trailer? If so, why are you considering the 6.2 vs the 6.7 diesel instead of the V-10 vs diesel?

Do you tow in the winter? Do you understand what the effects of the gel point of diesel fuel and the DEF will have on your plans? If you're only looking for a good deal, have you considered waiting and buying one of the last 2012's on the lot when they are really pushing the 2013's?

Lastly, what does the better half think?

Comparing the KR and Lariat, yes there is a big price difference, but the discount off MSRP is not proportionally equal. I'm just curious to see if that kind of discounting is similar in other dealerships.

As far as the trailer, I would keep my current trailer if I got a 6.2 but would most likely upgrade to a toy hauler if I had a 6.7 PSD. I am not considering the V10 because they no longer make it and I want to purchase a new truck, not a used one. Concerning winter towing, I tow heavily in the summer, but not at all during the winter so no worries there.

All good points to think about and I appreciate the advice but again, I am not looking for advice on diesel vs. gas (don't want to start one of those flame wars), I am looking for advice on what I should be getting off the MSRP sticker. Probably should have made that clearer in my OP

Old 10-16-2012, 09:00 PM
slownsy
Mountain Pass
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
F250 King Ranch Disel will handel les load than F350 DRW Lariet 6.2

Old 10-16-2012, 09:30 PM
the_justin
Senior User
Originally Posted by slownsy
F250 King Ranch Disel will handel les load than F350 DRW Lariet 6.2
I'm not quite sure what you are trying to convey there but again, I am not looking for gas vs. diesel opinions. Every time a thread turns to that issue it degenerates into a flame war. I was merely looking for thoughts on how much off the sticker other people were getting from their F250/350's.

In any event, just got back from the stealership and got a decent deal. Got just about 10K off sticker with 0% APR. They gave me a good trade in on my 09 F250 5.4L so my new payment is actually came out less than my old truck so I'm happy.

6.2L F350 DRW Lariat 4x4 CrewCab. Drives great, can't wait to see how it pulls my trailer. Unfortunately I just stowed my 5th wheel for the winter so I won't get to try it until next May. I suppose it is better anyway not to tow during the new vehicle "break in" period.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Still kind of playing with the LCD screen learning all the new stuff. Took me a while to find the sliding rear glass door control, they moved it from by the gear column to the overhead console area for some reason. Gas mileage...... eh...... no comment at this time

Old 10-16-2012, 10:28 PM
txtruckin
Senior User
Gorgeous truck!!!! I have been thinking about a 6.2 4X4 dually. What rear end???? Also, I would be interested in the fuel mileage once you get some numbers....... Since mine will be used for business purposes.

Old 10-16-2012, 10:48 PM
kd0axs
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by the_justin
I'm not quite sure what you are trying to convey there but again, I am not looking for gas vs. diesel opinions. Every time a thread turns to that issue it degenerates into a flame war. I was merely looking for thoughts on how much off the sticker other people were getting from their F250/350's.
I don't think he was trying to make it a gas vs diesel debate. The diesel may have more pulling power, but the F-250 is severely limited by the amount of pin weight you can put on it. Regardless of which engine is under the hood, the DRW truck can pull a much larger fiver because it can handle far more pin weight.

Old 10-16-2012, 10:56 PM
the_justin
Senior User
Originally Posted by txtruckin
Gorgeous truck!!!! I have been thinking about a 6.2 4X4 dually. What rear end???? Also, I would be interested in the fuel mileage once you get some numbers....... Since mine will be used for business purposes.
Thx

Yea she's a beauty, very intimidating stance compared to my 09. Was funny, on the way home nobody dared try and pass me on the highway. It was like they were afraid of the truck

As far as rear end, it was the 3.73's. I wanted the 4.30's but they only had 2 gasser DRW's and the other one had the 3.73's as well and was essentially a work truck so I didn't even bother with that one.

Just couldn't justify the extra expense and maintenance cost of the PSD for my usage. I only tow in the summer so I'm sure this will do just fine. One nice thing about having a longbed is now I can sell my 5ver if I want and get a nice stout truck camper and still be able to tow a small trailer. Won't need to upgrade to a larger 5th wheel toy hauler.

As far as the fuel economy, what can you expect from a gasser HD. I didn't buy it strictly for MPG, else I woulda got an ecoboost F150.

Old 10-16-2012, 11:31 PM
the_justin
Senior User
Originally Posted by kd0axs
I don't think he was trying to make it a gas vs diesel debate. The diesel may have more pulling power, but the F-250 is severely limited by the amount of pin weight you can put on it. Regardless of which engine is under the hood, the DRW truck can pull a much larger fiver because it can handle far more pin weight.
I know that after having my last truck. My 5th wheel was well within spec (only 9000 lbs) and it towed ok but it put a severe squat on my truck bed when I hitched up. I would have probably had to get air bags on there if I didn't do a trade in, the ride was pretty rough when towing. In any event, I am still leaning towards selling my 5ver and getting a nice big truck camper now. I looked at TC's before when I bought my 09 F250 but since I had a shortbed (and it was only a 3/4 ton) there were only a few campers I could fit in my bed, and they were all pretty small inside. Really like the idea of getting a nice TC and still being able to tow a boat or 4 wheeler behind me. We have some beaches here where we dipnet for salmon or dig for razor clams and you can't drag a trailer out there because of the terrain. With a 4x4 and a TC it would be no problem.

Old 10-17-2012, 03:13 AM
the_justin
Senior User
Originally Posted by dianethomo
it's a little bit warmer in the winter than where you are.
eh?

We got like an inch of snow today, it should be all gone by tomorrow. We usually don't get our first REAL snow until around the first week of November. I can assure you however it does get quite cold here. In Fairbanks it can get down to 50-60 below zero, even colder in the more remote places. What really kills me is the inconsistency of our weather. I remember last winter I woke up one day and it was -20 deg. F outside. The very next day it was +20 deg. F, so we had a 40 degree swing in temperature in 24 hours.

It's hovering around 35 deg. F outside right now, should be getting cold here soon.

I remember I went on vacation down to Phoenix to see some Spring Training games in March and most days it was 80 - 90 outside, very nice, but one day it was overcast and about 40 degrees outside, everyone was bundled up in long sleeve shirts and jackets and claimed to be freezing. I was like, are you kidding? This is tropical weather for me!

Old 10-17-2012, 07:31 AM
slownsy
Mountain Pass
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
the_justin I did only point out that you can cary a lot more payload with the F350 DWR than with F250 SRW you stated you may get biger FW if getting the Disel F250.
King Ranch and disel mensl less payload.
No flaming I have F250 XLT 4x4 6.2l Super Cap long tray and have reasently compleated 16000 mile trip to Alaska and back to Florida with my travel tailer and love it, got around 10 miles towin
Good luck Frank

Old 10-17-2012, 08:51 AM
V10ZILLA
Senior User
I would like to know what dealer gives fair market value. What was the figure that they quoted you. I went to go trade my 2009 F250 in on a new one. This is what I planned out. KBB stated that private party sale of my truck is 31255.00, dealer trade is 27350.00. This was last friday 10/12/12. I went to the dealer. showed them the KBB stuff I printed out, they said. Oh we have buyers avail that will bid on your truck, you maybe able to do better than KBB. Having purchased a dozen cars in my life i knew better. I told them if you have bidders then its going to be auction prices which will be horrific. They used auto trader guidelines. The auto trader said my truck was worth 18500.00. I told the internet manager " I told you so" "you knew it was going to be that low" he replied "you just never know". Me, "BULL" you didnt get to the postion of manager by helping a customer. you got there by helping the dealer make money, and with that type of quote that is really ripping off a customer.

So be careful with this fair market value.

Old 10-17-2012, 01:41 PM
the_justin
Senior User
Originally Posted by V10ZILLA
I would like to know what dealer gives fair market value. What was the figure that they quoted you. I went to go trade my 2009 F250 in on a new one. This is what I planned out. KBB stated that private party sale of my truck is 31255.00, dealer trade is 27350.00. This was last friday 10/12/12. I went to the dealer. showed them the KBB stuff I printed out, they said. Oh we have buyers avail that will bid on your truck, you maybe able to do better than KBB. Having purchased a dozen cars in my life i knew better. I told them if you have bidders then its going to be auction prices which will be horrific. They used auto trader guidelines. The auto trader said my truck was worth 18500.00. I told the internet manager " I told you so" "you knew it was going to be that low" he replied "you just never know". Me, "BULL" you didnt get to the postion of manager by helping a customer. you got there by helping the dealer make money, and with that type of quote that is really ripping off a customer.

So be careful with this fair market value.

I was very happy getting that much, when I started preliminary negotiations I was expecting some extreme lowball number around 18-20,000. I recall when I went to buy my 09 and traded in my Dodge Ram they only offered me 3800 dollars on my truck which booked at 10,000.

The NADA clean trade in on my truck was 28,000. They initially offered me 27,000 because I needed new tires, but I insisted they give the the NADA 28,000 else I would walk and they ended up giving it to me so yes I would consider that fair market value. I know I could have gotten perhaps a few thousand more if I waited and sold the truck private party but then I would have to wait several weeks to find a buyer and then worry about the buyer lining up financing etc. so I just decided to trade it in.

Old 10-17-2012, 03:27 PM
the_justin
Senior User
ARGH!

Just realized I forgot to reprogram my PCM back to stock when I traded the truck in. Now I have a useless SCT tuner that is VIN locked to my old truck. Going to see if I can get back into the stealership tomorrow and reflash to stock so I can get 5startuning to reflash my SCT with new tunes instead of buying a whole new tuner @ 400.00

#$%#$^#@

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2012 SD (Gas and Diesel) Quotes, need advice, XPIN???