Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1957 - 1960 F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1957 - 1960 F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Box Style Ford Trucks

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-15-2012, 06:22 PM
Junior User

mixup is starting off with a positive reputation.
1960 F100 Trans tunnel

I have a 1960 F100. When I bought it there was no engine and trans but it was stick. There was a hloe in the tunnel but it didn't look like it was for a shifter. How can I tell if I have a high or low trans tunnel?
Old 10-15-2012, 07:14 PM
Posting Guru

theodore/teddy has a very good reputation on FTE.theodore/teddy has a very good reputation on FTE.theodore/teddy has a very good reputation on FTE.theodore/teddy has a very good reputation on FTE.
Mixup My parts book shows two numbers
B7C-8112108-A was for fordomatic 3speed L/D and 3 speed M/D
B7C-8112108-B was for 3speed H/D and 4speed L/D And four wheel drive
So looking at your data plate will determine which cover your truck came with.
I'm assuming the _B is the low profile. Its what I have in my 59 4x4. I've never noticed a high profile cover, but sometime I just don't pay full attention.

1959 F250 4x4
Wally
Old 10-15-2012, 07:18 PM
Gone But Not Forgotten

ibuzzard has a great reputation on FTE.ibuzzard has a great reputation on FTE.ibuzzard has a great reputation on FTE.ibuzzard has a great reputation on FTE.
I'm not sure what you mean.AFAIK,there is only one depth of tunnel. There should be a plate with the proper cut-out for the T98 4-speed,which is what you'd have had if it had a stock floor shift transmission. The three-speeds were all on the column, I believe.

There is no end of hacks/modifications that could have been done over the years, why don't you post the numbers from your Data plate,usually on the inside of the glovebox door, so someone can decode it?

Steve
Anthony...Hey Kevin....Silly Boy...Hey John...Hey Dan... WOW! OYE!...OH
CRAP...just for giggles...GREAT JOB...Nice Work Tard!...takes a "womans
touch"...TeeHee...you jerks."
Old 10-15-2012, 07:46 PM
Postmaster

spurredon has a great reputation on FTE.spurredon has a great reputation on FTE.spurredon has a great reputation on FTE.spurredon has a great reputation on FTE.spurredon has a great reputation on FTE.spurredon has a great reputation on FTE.
Well, the one that came in my truck origianlly was a lower profile than the one I ended up using out of my F500 parts truck with floor shifter. It is perhaps 1 1/2" taller than the other. I had to weld up the holes since I have the three speed and do not have the tranny mounted parking brake!
Old 10-15-2012, 08:02 PM
Postmaster

spurredon has a great reputation on FTE.spurredon has a great reputation on FTE.spurredon has a great reputation on FTE.spurredon has a great reputation on FTE.spurredon has a great reputation on FTE.spurredon has a great reputation on FTE.
The truck discussed in this post and listed on Ebay has the high tunnel. Check out the ebay pics, there are tons of them. http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/11...-to-fords.html
Old 10-15-2012, 08:05 PM
Gone But Not Forgotten

ibuzzard has a great reputation on FTE.ibuzzard has a great reputation on FTE.ibuzzard has a great reputation on FTE.ibuzzard has a great reputation on FTE.
Why the difference in depth of the tunnels,due to size differences in the transmissions? I never knew this.

Lots of things I never knew.....
Old 10-15-2012, 08:07 PM
Posting Guru

theodore/teddy has a very good reputation on FTE.theodore/teddy has a very good reputation on FTE.theodore/teddy has a very good reputation on FTE.theodore/teddy has a very good reputation on FTE.
Hopefully ND will see this post and enlighten us on this question.
While the book shows the two different numbers I don't know what the difference is. The book states you will need to cut appropriate holes,for both covers.

PS
Good eye spurredon that appears to be about 1-1&1/2 inches taller than mine (no I don't feel inferior)

1959 F250 4x4
Wally
Old 10-15-2012, 08:08 PM
Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibuzzard View Post
Why the difference in depth of the tunnels,due to size differences in the transmissions? I never knew this.

Lots of things I never knew.....
That's what I would say! Sounds like we might be in the same "never knew", club.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:10 PM
Gone But Not Forgotten

We're there floor mounted three-speeds? Thought they were all on the tree? I guess the larger trucks,though using the same cab, had more transmission options?
Old 10-15-2012, 08:15 PM
Postmaster

I believe the threes were in the tree, both the standard three and the overdrive version. But hey, don't take my word for it, no one else usually does!
Old 10-15-2012, 09:49 PM
Junior User

Here is the data plate
WB Color Model Date Trans Axle
110 J F100 27E A 01

Thanks for the help.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:59 PM
Junior User

Looking at the pictures of the 57 on Ebay that spurrdon posted my tunnel is lower.
Old 10-16-2012, 11:05 AM
Posting Guru

Mixup looks like you have a shortbed born on may27 with a ford L/D three speed trans. 3.70 diff and it started life Red.

Now I really would like someone who knows like NumbersDummy to clear this up because the way I read the book you should have the taller cover.

1959 F250 4x4
Wally

Last edited by theodore/teddy; 10-16-2012 at 11:11 AM. Reason: add comment
Old 10-16-2012, 11:05 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1957 - 1960 F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks