Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BREAK IN!! Door lock cylinder advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2012, 07:55 PM
akuhr93'f150
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BREAK IN!! Door lock cylinder advice

Hey ya'll. Someone broke into my truck today. Did it in the middle of the day while my truck was parked in the employee parking lot next to a ton of other cars. The jackwagons punched the lock cylinder destroying the lock and damaging the door. Took my subs and headunit. Really sucks, never think its gunna happen to you right? Ahh well life goes on , no point in wasting any time. Sooo.....

I need new door lock cylinders, and maybe a new door, idk. Maybe someone out there has been there and done that and know of a way to fix the hole punched in my door underneath the lock cylinder. My truck is by no means in showcase shape so it doesn't have to be perfect. Any advice on that would be greatly appreciated. Also I had stock electric door locks, I'm lookin at replacements as it is and wondering if anyone knows a good package deal from past experience. I'm talkin like automatic locks with key fob, auto start, alarm, any combination of stuff like that or even stock replacements for a good price.

I'll post pictures as soon as i can, Thanks everyone.

And do the world a favor, don't be THAT guy

Old 10-13-2012, 08:14 PM
blkF250HD
Posting Guru
You should be able to buy a new lock cylinder and have it re-keyed so that your existing key will still work. I think Bonafide Security in Brookfield can do it. Outta sight outta mind should help in the future, try to keep things covered or hidden if at all possible. As for the door being punched, if function overrides form you could always weld or rivet in a patch panel, or put in a boneyard door. Where in Milwaukee was it, I know some parts are sketchier than others.

Old 10-13-2012, 08:21 PM
dustybumpers
FTE Legend
Hammer and dolly the door back down, it should be fine.

Ford has a key set for sale, comes with ignition, and doors.

Old 10-13-2012, 08:21 PM
xpakage
New User
This website has a different items to stop the lock from being punched out, even removing the lock and replacing it with a plate. You then have to use the FOB or the door code to open.

Vehicle Security and Theft Prevention Devices

Old 10-13-2012, 09:18 PM
Puddy
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
I was looking into this a while back, I think the ranger one might work, I'll order it and try it.

Old 10-13-2012, 09:30 PM
GNR22
Fabri-cobbler
Received 515 Likes on 340 Posts
That really sucks. If I was going to break in, I'd at least go in through the vent window like when I lock the keys in my own truck..
Which I'm really just pointing out that to keep that from happening again, you'd really need a security system and not just a lock.

Old 10-13-2012, 09:36 PM
CJM8515
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Were the items plainly visible or did they have to look hard to find them? I say this because chances are its someone you know who knows you have this stuff in your truck.

Old 10-13-2012, 10:38 PM
akuhr93'f150
Senior User
Originally Posted by blkF250HD
You should be able to buy a new lock cylinder and have it re-keyed so that your existing key will still work. I think Bonafide Security in Brookfield can do it. Outta sight outta mind should help in the future, try to keep things covered or hidden if at all possible. As for the door being punched, if function overrides form you could always weld or rivet in a patch panel, or put in a boneyard door. Where in Milwaukee was it, I know some parts are sketchier than others.
Wouldn't this cost a lot more than just buying new locks with a new key and doing it myself? I already have a separate key for ignition and doors, bought it that way. I'm an assistant department manager at stein gardens and gifts on 5400 S 27th street (part time high school job), happened while I was at work in the employee parking lot in the middle of the day.

Originally Posted by dustybumpers
Hammer and dolly the door back down, it should be fine.

Is it on fordparts.com? cause their website is not working currently, i think they're doing updates.

Originally Posted by xpakage
This website has a different items to stop the lock from being punched out, even removing the lock and replacing it with a plate. You then have to use the FOB or the door code to open.

Vehicle Security and Theft Prevention Devices
That's pretty nifty thanks

Originally Posted by Puddy
I was looking into this a while back, I think the ranger one might work, I'll order it and try it.
And yeah please let us know how it goes, I might invest in one also.

Originally Posted by GNR22
That really sucks. If I was going to break in, I'd at least go in through the vent window like when I lock the keys in my own truck..
Which I'm really just pointing out that to keep that from happening again, you'd really need a security system and not just a lock.
The ironic thing is that while the doors were locked the freakin idiots didnt realize my fly window was unlocked. They coulda saved my a lot of trouble and still stolen my stuff.

Originally Posted by CJM8515
Were the items plainly visible or did they have to look hard to find them? I say this because chances are its someone you know who knows you have this stuff in your truck.
EVERYONE SAID THIS!!! haha and yeah it a good possibility but Id have no idea whod do it. I like to think im a good guy and i hang around with good people, i cant think of any enemies. Anyone who truly knows me knows I leave my fly window unlocked.

and I will admit it is due to my own ignorance, two 12in kicker subs and a Sony head unit were stolen. With this kind of equipment I should have invested in protection a long time ago but i dont get paid enough to invest money into this kind of stuff for my rusty, beat up Ol' Ford. She's my baby, and I love her but she is a POS. I spend enough keeping her running while I'm trying to save for a nicer Ford. Thanks for all your help guys

Old 10-14-2012, 02:53 AM
whiteboyslo
Posting Guru
With that much boom, someone probably heard you running around and made a mental note.

Don't know about the hole in the door, but replacing the cylinders is easy. Do OBS trucks use just one key? Bricknoses use two, so when I replaced mine, all I did was get rid of my old lock key and replace it with the one from the set.

Mike

Old 12-23-2012, 10:47 AM
Puddy
FTE Chapter Leader
Figure I'd bring this back to let people know I have ordered it. Should be in a week or so.

Old 12-31-2012, 02:22 PM
warren561
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry to hear about the break-in.

Originally Posted by Puddy
Figure I'd bring this back to let people know I have ordered it. Should be in a week or so.
Which did you order?

Originally Posted by dustybumpers
Did you end up ordering this key set? Did you happen to get the part number for this set? I'm in need of a lock set with doors and ignition (same key). Need a new ignition anyway (starts w/o key), might as well do the doors too.

Old 12-31-2012, 02:53 PM
Puddy
FTE Chapter Leader
I ordered a jimmy jammer to prevent break ins.

Old 01-03-2013, 10:56 AM
akuhr93'f150
Senior User
No i did not. I already had a separate key for ignition and doors so I just ordered new locks and lock clips for the doors from LMCtruck.com. I just bent the key hole back to shape, filled the unbearable divits and holes with JB weld, sanded it down smooth and painted it. My truck it a daily driver but quite an old beater at the same time, though it turned out pretty darn good and the JB weld will be a hell of a lot stronger than Bondo. I ended ordering an alarm, keyless entry, remote start kit from amazon too and I love it.

Last edited by akuhr93'f150; 01-03-2013 at 12:57 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 01-03-2013, 08:45 PM
Jhouse85
Junior User
Originally Posted by akuhr93'f150

The ironic thing is that while the doors were locked the freakin idiots didnt realize my fly window was unlocked. They coulda saved my a lot of trouble and still stolen my stuff.

EVERYONE SAID THIS!!! haha and yeah it a good possibility but Id have no idea whod do it. I like to think im a good guy and i hang around with good people, i cant think of any enemies. Anyone who truly knows me knows I leave my fly window unlocked.

and I will admit it is due to my own ignorance, two 12in kicker subs and a Sony head unit were stolen. With this kind of equipment I should have invested in protection a long time ago but i dont get paid enough to invest money into this kind of stuff for my rusty, beat up Ol' Ford. She's my baby, and I love her but she is a POS. I spend enough keeping her running while I'm trying to save for a nicer Ford. Thanks for all your help guys
Thanks for the equipment bro. Sold the head unit in the honeydip donuts parking lot for $15 and ditched the subs for $20 each at the citgo a bit further down the street.

About the fly window, gotta tell ya, it was way more fun punching the lock. Good luck bro

(•_•) I guess you could say
( •_•)>⌐■-■
(⌐■_■) Shoulda installed alarm

Old 01-03-2013, 09:17 PM
DBGrif91
Cargo Master
Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Really sorry to hear that. And not that I wanna make a joke of the situation, but here are some pretty interesting, custom anti-theft devices....

Quick Reply: BREAK IN!! Door lock cylinder advice