Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 09:25 AM
handyandy123
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Battery Cables? Alternator?

2003 Ex limited rwd 6.0L

Hi guys,

Been having electrical issues with my Ex for three years now. About two years ago had a arc or spark that melted the red rubber cover over positive battery terminal post on passenger side. ( I think that's the battery that starts truck). The arc came from the smaller red wire leading off that positive terminal. Well, new batteries and problem seemed solved. Then changed batteries another time since then, lots of corrosion on the terminal posts down here in South Florida. I always used vaseline though on posts and cleaned terminal connections with steel brush and baking soda/water. About two months ago, I had the whole electrical system go down. The night before, the tranny was acting up and wouldn't shift out of 2 nd gear.....drove home slow at night about 2 miles so not a big deal. But in morning she had this loud pop on start up and it like exploded to life not like usual. I drove it 3 miles and came to red light stopped and everything died. Towed to it friend who is master mechanic. He said alternator is shot and it killed both batteries. So new batteries and new 110 amp alternator from advance auto, I also asked him to check the battery cables (maybe corroded and adding resistance to current fed from alternator?) He said he checked it and found the cables to be fine. Well its been riding nice for past month but last week I noticed a slow start. I mentioned to wife as its her car. She said she hasn't noticed anything but yesterday it wouldn't start for her. Any suggestions? I have a CD stuck in player..those damn ford cd players" and I know that it tries to load the cd for 2 minutes on start up . I can hear that motor working....do you think that is draining battery? Or do you think it could be battery cables should be replaced? I bought a cigarette lighter voltage meter....to test health of system while running....it shows 13.2 - 13.5 and green light comes on, then it shows yellow light then back to green. I took both batteries out and charged them up with battery charger.... each took only about 10 minutes to charge back up fully. It started at about 8amp..then within 10-15 minutes..they went to 0 with green light illuminated showing fully charged. Might I have a slow drain somewhere in electrical wiring? Any suggestions? Thanks!

Old 10-10-2012, 09:36 AM
BroncoRN
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Get a multimeter and test voltage at battery while truck is running it should be over 14v. Sounds like you are not getting full charge? Make sure all wires have good connection and are corrosion free. Make sure grounds are clean. Might be tome to replace battery cables - sometimes they corrode/break under the insulating wrap. Get new battery clamps while you are at it. Did u pull codes?