Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

pulls when braking after feeling pop

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2002, 10:39 AM
dbchris
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, My 93 f150 4x4 started having this problem on my way to work, so I haven't had a chance to look at anything yet. I was braking at a light and felt more than heard a pop. Now the truck seems a little looser steering(this maybe my imagination) and definitly pulls hard to the right when I aply the brakes. What should I look for besides pulling the wheels and checking the brake pads/calipers. I have the auto hubs for the 4x4. Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks, Dave

Old 09-05-2002, 11:04 AM
SPROCKET
Senior User

My truck used to make like a pop/clunk noise when I would apply the brakes...it ended up being the rear drums just had to much brake dust in them.

Check your pads and rotors for any imperfections such as cracks.

Old 09-05-2002, 11:53 AM
MustangGT221
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If it pulls to one side when you apply the brakes, it is probably a frozen front caliper on the opposite side. The previous post is a good idea too.

Primary rig is Green Thunder:
95' F-150 XLT 4x4, 302, 5 spd, MSD 6A, Flowmaster American Thunder Exhaust, Sunroof, Clear corners w/ Diamond headlights, CD player with 2 10" subs and some 32" BFG Muds .

That's it for mods now, saving for a Stang. Check out my Gallery for a look-see.

Old 09-05-2002, 06:24 PM
babarche
Junior User

Check radius arm mounting brackets (at the rear of the radius arms, if one has shifted slightly rearward, it can cause a pull because it will allow that side's traction beam to be pushed rearward under braking, which results in that wheel towing out). It could also be related to the bushing, but the pop felt suggests that maybe the rivets have loosened a bit, allowing a sudden shift. you may notice the pop more frequently as time goes on.

Ford had issued some TSB's in the early 90's regarding brake pulls due to radius arms. The fixes were slightly different length arms. But if it never pulled until now, you probably don't need those. Some people have gotten rid of the rivets by replacing them with grade 8 bolts. You can also sometimes tell if a piece is shifting by painting it with drywall compound or plaster, letting it dry, and driving around, then see if there are any cracks in the compound.

Definitely check for caliper issues, make sure that the left front caliper is still working and is not stuck.

Old 09-05-2002, 11:00 PM
dbchris
New User

Thanks for the advice guys, I just got home from work, so I wont have a chance to check things til morning. I drove home with radio & fan etc off so I could try and listen for any noises. Hard to tell for sure with the racket from some of my stuff in the bed, but it did sound like I was hearng a pop or light clunk when I would release the brakes. also I noticed now I can push the brake pedal to the floor with out too much preasure:-( . Thanks again for the replies and I'll post my findings once I pull the wheels etc.
Dave

Old 09-07-2002, 08:53 PM
dbchris
New User

thanks again guys for your input. The problem was blatently obvious once I pulled the wheels. The left inner brake pad had shifted and was actually lodged between the rotor and the caliper in such a way that the piston was pushing on air. Seems the clip that goes on that pad either wasnt installed or had fallen off. It was about time to change the pads anyways, so thats all it needed, new pads and a retainer clip. Thanks again, Dave

Old 09-07-2002, 08:53 PM
nickbennetts
New User