Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Glow Plug Relay wire frayed

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 08:52 AM
Pro DIY
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glow Plug Relay wire frayed

On my glow plug relay I noticed that one of the small wires are frayed. It's the wire that is closest to the wind shield. What does this wire do? Will it have any effect on my IPR? I am currently dealing with an issue of my truck not starting, it just keeps cranking. Let me know what you think.

Old 10-10-2012, 09:20 AM
riverrat41
Postmaster

Not sure what that wire actually does but you can cut off the bad a crimp a new terminal on it.
The GPR has no effect on the IPR.The IPR regulates high pressure oil.

Old 10-10-2012, 10:03 AM
Pro DIY
Senior User
Originally Posted by riverrat41
Not sure what that wire actually does but you can cut off the bad a crimp a new terminal on it.
The GPR has no effect on the IPR.The IPR regulates high pressure oil.
I'm planning on fixing it. I looked on a wire diagram and the way it looks to me is that the wire in question and the IPR are connected in some way. Like I said I am having a no start issue and several people on the forum suggested cleaning the IPR. I cleaned the IPR but that didn't fix the issue. Just wondering if the frayed wire is causing an issue with the IPR and that is why the IPR is not working. If this is the issue I would run up to where my truck is to fix it during my lunch break. If it doesn't have anything to do with it or should be effecting the IPR I won't waste my lunch break.

Old 10-10-2012, 10:22 AM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
That wire provides power to both devices so essentially they have power all the time. The PCM completes the circuit by providing a ground at the appropriate time.

While the GP relay is energized, there will be additional power draw on the system. If the supply is weak, then having the GP relay energized may drop the voltage down below the threshold required by the PCM to fire the injectors.

Attached Images
Old 10-10-2012, 10:43 AM
riverrat41
Postmaster

Thanks Greg...It has been awhile since I have traced or looked at the wire he is talking about.If the IPR is not energized I see why the truck won't fire.

Old 10-10-2012, 10:45 AM
Pro DIY
Senior User
Originally Posted by Shake-N-Bake
That wire provides power to both devices so essentially they have power all the time. The PCM completes the circuit by providing a ground at the appropriate time.

While the GP relay is energized, there will be additional power draw on the system. If the supply is weak, then having the GP relay energized may drop the voltage down below the threshold required by the PCM to fire the injectors.
So would the frayed wire effect the IPR or the PCM?

Old 10-10-2012, 01:21 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Originally Posted by Pro DIY
So would the frayed wire effect the IPR or the PCM?
Only if the faulty wire caused a short and popped a fuse.
According to the Powertrain Constrol schematic I attached in the post above...the 12v power wire originates at the PCM but branches out to the IPR and GP/AIH relays. So if the wire is not shorting out or otherwise causing the fuse to blow then a faulty wire at the relay will simply cause the relay not to function while the IPR should function fine.

A simple test would be to test for power at pin A (sometimes labeled pin 1) of the IPR connector with the key on. It will be the one with the solid red wire. The yellow with red tracer is the control wire that runs back to the PCM.

Here are some pages from the PC/ED manual that relates to the IPR...

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
IPR Pinpoint Tests.pdf (1.68 MB, 486 views)
Old 10-10-2012, 01:57 PM
Pro DIY
Senior User
Originally Posted by Shake-N-Bake
Only if the faulty wire caused a short and popped a fuse.
According to the Powertrain Constrol schematic I attached in the post above...the 12v power wire originates at the PCM but branches out to the IPR and GP/AIH relays. So if the wire is not shorting out or otherwise causing the fuse to blow then a faulty wire at the relay will simply cause the relay not to function while the IPR should function fine.

A simple test would be to test for power at pin B (sometimes labeled pin 1) of the IPR connector with the key on. It will be the one with the solid red wire. The yellow with red tracer is the control wire that runs back to the PCM.

Here are some pages from the PC/ED manual that relates to the IPR...
Darn, just when I thought I had it figured out. Thanks for the info. I'll test the pin to see if power is there.

Old 10-10-2012, 02:14 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Originally Posted by Pro DIY
Darn, just when I thought I had it figured out. Thanks for the info. I'll test the pin to see if power is there.
Oops, my original post had a typo and said "pin B". Should have said "pin A". The wire color info is accurate though...

I went back and corrected my post.