1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Want to add another stock tank as an auxiliary unit under body.

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 12:25 AM
babaracus
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Want to add another stock tank as an auxiliary unit under body.

I have been looking and searching not only hear but all over the internet for the answer to my question but I can not find it anywhere. I settled up on this little gem of a site because it seems to be chalk full of good hearted insightful people. HERE IS THE QUESTION: I own a 2000 F250 diesel with the crew cab and 8 foot bed. My family and I plan on taking some good trips next year for vacation and pulling a camper is on the list. The 38 gallon stock tank seems pretty good distance wise. Bought the truck a month ago and was able to drive it from Dallas TX to Lincoln NE without filling up (over 600mi.). I have seen on ebay that I can buy another stock tank for around $200 and I already own a good quality used diesel switch valve that works off of 12 volt. So... If I were to obtain another 38 gallon tank and wanted to place it under the truck and in front of the stock tank... how could I fill it up and any problems any one could foresee with its location? could the 2 tanks share the filler tube with a possible "Y" valve or "T" valve that i could control which tank I filled up or would I need to run a filler tube all the way to the back like hidden by the bumper? ANY help or ideas would be awsome.

Old 10-10-2012, 03:05 AM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Bump. I also have these similar questions for when I put in my 40 gallon.

Old 10-10-2012, 06:06 AM
hammer65
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I pull a 10,000 # 5ver and always get better than 10mpg. 38 gal tank, gets me pretty far down the road in one day.
We generally have to stop for P calls and lunch or just a break, several times a day.
The extra weight of another tank of fuel is not needed.
You do not have an abundance of cargo capacity either.

Old 10-10-2012, 07:34 AM
stinson 108-1
stinson 108-1
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a 60gl tank (transferflo) and love it. I go from N.J to W.V. 610mi. round trip and still have 20 or so gal. left. I never have to start looking for a station or over pay for fuel. One good thing about Jersey is, and there aren't many, fuel is cheaper on average, 3.85 right now. There is a space ahead of your tank, is it enough? Transferflo makes a double filler neck that fits behind your fuel fill door. Replacing your stocker is very easy, and a legal set up, although more expensive.

Old 10-10-2012, 07:46 AM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
Titan Replacement Ford Diesel Fuel Tank

Maybe someone on ebay or craigslist has one also.

Old 10-10-2012, 07:49 AM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Received 1,897 Likes on 1,145 Posts
Consider installing a stock excursion tank in spare tire location. Some fab is req'd but its not too bad and provides another 44 gals capacity.

Old 10-10-2012, 11:16 AM
SARDiverDan
Cargo Master
Received 415 Likes on 237 Posts
In the OP it had been stated that “If I were to obtain another 38 gallon tank and wanted to place it under the truck and in front of the stock tank” IMHO, I would say that it will not fit and the amount of “rigging” two stock tanks together under the truck would not be feasible. Many people like the option of carrying extra fuel but you really need to access your needs and situations for the modification. Yes, you can drive longer distances without fueling but, as it has already been said, you will be stopping every few hours anyway most likely so going 600-1000 without fueling is one thing but doing it without stopping is another. It has also been mentioned that there are a number of good after-market alternatives that will increase you fuel capacity. Titan makes some good systems but they are not cheap. I carry a 91 gallon aux tank in the bed but the downside to that is reduced cargo space. The other issue to consider is weight. Right now I have about 50 gallons in my aux tank which is an additional 400 pounds. If I could do it all over again I would probably go with a Titan to free up some bed space. Who knows, with the price of diesel out here maybe someone will punch my stock tank to steal some diesel which will give me an excuse for a Titan up-grade <O</O

Old 10-10-2012, 11:34 AM
CSIPSD
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a 110 gallon L tank in the bed, which feeds the main tank via gravity....

Drove from Bend Oregon to LA non stop (one stop for lunch)... 900 miles. Still had over 1/2 tank in the factory tank...

Old 10-10-2012, 01:43 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by CSIPSD
I have a 110 gallon L tank in the bed, which feeds the main tank via gravity....

Drove from Bend Oregon to LA non stop (one stop for lunch)... 900 miles. Still had over 1/2 tank in the factory tank...
^^^Short of buying something specifically designed for your truck such as Titan or Transfer Flow....the suggestion above is probably the best and most practical solution for your needs. Installation is much easier (and safer), fuel transfer by gravity is legal for diesel fuel and you won't have to deal with another tank with potential fuel pickup issues. I don't think there will be enough room under the chassis for another 38 gallon tank anyway so you'll have to get something smaller IMO.

Removing the spare and installing an Excursion tank is another option, but then you'll have to find a new home for your spare. Seems to make more sense to go with a L tank in the bed and you'll have the added benefit of a locking tool box as well.

Old 10-10-2012, 04:39 PM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Received 1,897 Likes on 1,145 Posts
Coming from a guy with 200gals of aux fuel capacity - the advantage of greater range is being able to CHOOSE where you stop for fuel. With the hammer down and 22-24k lb GCVW, I'm down near 10mpg. The added range allows me to take those breaks at rest areas and parks instead of dirty, congested truck stops.

The X tanks (gas/diesel = same tank) can be found complete with skid plate, sending unit, etc for $75-$100. Other parts for install like steel for forward x-member, filler tube/cap are probably $50. Even if ya gotta pay someone to do the metal fab - this is cheaper than a new aluminum drag-up tank for the bed. Put the filler in the rear wheel well or in the bed (the latter is an issue if ya fill the bed with 'stuff'). Use a standard 6-way pollak valve (<$100) for switching tanks, similar to the OBS dual-tank system. You can also wire the fuel level gauge to the valve switch and read both fuel levels on your factory fuel gauge!

Yeah, you gotta find another place for spare tire - but unlike the drag-up tanks, you can always take the spare out of bed for local trips when you are less likely to need a spare tire.

Old 10-10-2012, 04:55 PM
CSIPSD
Postmaster
I've never owned a truck without a slip tank in the bed... I've never been in a situation that I thought- "damn, wish I didn't have that slip tank in there..."

Old 10-10-2012, 04:56 PM
jeffreyt
Postmaster
Originally Posted by SkySkiJason
Consider installing a stock excursion tank in spare tire location. Some fab is req'd but its not too bad and provides another 44 gals capacity.

I've heard this will work, but the spare has to be relocated.

I've got an RDS tank/toolbox combo. An extra 50 gallons in the bed, and doesn't take up more room than an average bed box (although there isn't much room for tools...) Gravity feed into the fill neck like Joe said, just make sure and use good T clamps instead of worm clamps or it might spring a leak. learned the hard way and lost 20 gallons of diesel. I've pumped in 83 gallons from empty, and can easily drive from Panama City to Nashville and back without worrying about when or where to stop. Usually have about 15 gallons left when I get back

Old 10-10-2012, 05:05 PM
jeffreyt
Postmaster
Originally Posted by CSIPSD
I've never owned a truck without a slip tank in the bed... I've never been in a situation that I thought- "damn, wish I didn't have that slip tank in there..."

I have several times. But then I remembered why I had a truck in the first place and hooked the flatbed up...

Old 10-10-2012, 05:10 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Has anyone here done the excursion tank mod? I have a 40 gallon tank from a cab/chassis. It is about the same size and looks like it will fit, it is very close.

Old 10-10-2012, 05:17 PM
CSIPSD
Postmaster
I had an excursion tank I was going to install, had it for about 4 years, sat behind the shop.

I realized I didnt want to mess with it and who really needs 190 gallons of diesel on a pickup...

Quick Reply: Want to add another stock tank as an auxiliary unit under body.