1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Chopped '53-'55s

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 07:29 PM
bigdaddylove
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chopped '53-'55s

Hi,

I am looking for pics of '53-'55 with chopped tops. I'm not looking for radical chops, just nice understated chops that get rid of that gumpy baseball cap look that drives me nuts.

BTW, I've googled and got some but most are too chopped.

Thanks!
BDL

Old 10-10-2012, 02:22 PM
Stephen67
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
All the pictures I have tend to be a lower chop, but if you're looking to change the cab look mainly, look into a visor for the cab. A couple people on here have made some real beautiful ones for the 53-55s and it really changed the look of the truck. Just a thought.

Old 10-10-2012, 02:31 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Stephen67
All the pictures I have tend to be a lower chop, but if you're looking to change the cab look mainly, look into a visor for the cab. A couple people on here have made some real beautiful ones for the 53-55s and it really changed the look of the truck. Just a thought.
And what you did with your door corners. IDK if the 55 and back are the same but that one thing really cleaned Abby up.

Old 10-10-2012, 07:54 PM
carbs & chrome
Senior User
Something like this? Uses all stock glass except wing windows. They're only modified slightly though.

Old 10-10-2012, 09:16 PM
Stephen67
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I rounded the door corners, matching the back top corner. It would be different on a 53-55, more subtle since its slanted, but it would look Sharp on it I think, something hard to place but much cleaner looking.

Old 10-10-2012, 11:11 PM
carbs & chrome
Senior User
Rounded corners:

Old 10-10-2012, 11:41 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
I like the way they "chopped" Chip Foose's 56. The 56 windshield is already narrower than the 53-55 with the forehead over the windshield and the 56 is difficult to cut and fit due to the wrap around, so they took the chop out of the area between the windshield frame bottom and the top of the cowl, removing 2" at the front, tapering to 0 at the rear. No glass or door tops were harmed in the making of this chop! The hood was then taper sectioned to get the angle of the hood top to match the now tapered roof. I's a subtle but very effective change. Google Chip Foose 56 F100 to see pictures and links to the overhaulin episodes on u-tube of the build.

Old 10-13-2012, 11:00 PM
bigdaddylove
Senior User
That's the exact look I want, carbs. I want to take about an inch out of hood, too. Makes the truck look far less "gumpy."

If I only had the money...

Thanks,
BDL

Old 05-20-2020, 01:54 PM
Damian Kade
New User
Carbs & Chrome, I know this is a really old post but, do you happen to have any more pictures of the process you did with this chop?!!! I love the way you did it. Subtly and classy. I'm gunna try it on a unused cab first incase i screw it up but would love any advice you could give me. Or if anyone else has some
Thanks,
D

Old 05-20-2020, 04:48 PM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 465 Likes on 301 Posts
Rather than calling it a "chop" call it what it is...pancaking. Many ole skool Mercs had chopped tops but still looked less than sleek. A sneaky way to slim down a Merc top was to pancake it to remove the bulge. F100 guys have been doing this to hoods for a long time but few have found how good a roof could look with an inch or so pancake job. Here is Mercury Charlie's car "Nadine", while most folks can see the chop few see the pancake of the roof...

Old 05-20-2020, 06:49 PM
EBEAR
Cargo Master
Received 541 Likes on 308 Posts
I think I would still classify that one as a chop but definitely not in the traditional sense . I believe there is 1 1/2 " - 2 " taken out of the area above the glass and below the drip rail making it necessary to remove a small amount of the door front section to go along with the lower drip rail . After studying the pics of that truck and allot of hours looking mine over I don't believe its possible to pull just the outer skin down as there is not enough " meat " above the door . JMHO

Old 05-20-2020, 07:44 PM
tacson
Cargo Master

Received 88 Likes on 51 Posts
Old 05-20-2020, 09:38 PM
EBEAR
Cargo Master
Similar to the carbs and chrome one but they took the material from above the window leaving the widow opening stock .

Old 05-21-2020, 08:19 AM
Damian Kade
New User
yeah so I am planning on trying to chop the top on my 53 but I'm 6'4 so I don't want to chop chop it just want to get rid of the high front. I just want to do a wedge chop, take out about 1" or so above the front window but no height out of the back. I want to lean the cab forward cutting it by the body line at the back of the cab and possibly splitting the seam at the back of the roof. Anyone on here done it this way and if so do you have any pics, guidance and possibly measurements? I am hoping this would keep me from needing to split the roof skin in any way. I plan on doing a test run on a rotten cab before even considering it on my actual truck. Thanks!!!! so much easier to do in photoshop lol or do I even need to cut the cab at the back bottom? I don't want to mess with the A pillar. black lines are where i was thinking of cutting

Old 05-21-2020, 09:34 AM
EBEAR
Cargo Master
This was close to the route I had considered for a few reasons . First I have a perfect roof and absolutely cringe at the idea of chopping it up , second is I really don't care for the front window being any smaller along with the added issue of cutting a windshield . My personal feelings are that these trucks do not look good with allot of chop and the driprail - bodyline and doors tops slight backslope look off . After looking mine over " for many hours " the best route in my mind was to take 1-1.5" out of the area above the window and front door pillars as you have shown but my preference would be to leave the back of the cab straight and tilt it at the roof seam and rear of door accordingly . I have not committed to this yet as at some junction I need to say enough or this truck will never see the road . I do plan on solid side glass and have already enlarged the back window " which could have been incorporated into the chop "

Quick Reply: Chopped '53-'55s