Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

waste gate vs non waste gate?!?!?!

Old 10-09-2012, 04:31 PM
minitruckeratheart
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
waste gate vs non waste gate?!?!?!

Ok so ive been told, a waste gated turbo will spool faster then a non gated turbo. ok this is fine, but if this is true, then why does everyone get gated turbos and tie, weld, or otherwise hold, the gate closed? why not just get a non gated turbo to start with? like my baby banks...lol

Old 10-09-2012, 05:17 PM
91dirtydiesel
Postmaster
All depends on your application/driving style. Not many idi guys spend time flying around at 2500-3000rpms where the non waste gate would shine, they like 1500-2500 where the waste gated turbo does best

Old 10-09-2012, 05:42 PM
minitruckeratheart
Senior User
ok but why does a waste gated turbo, with the gate held closed not react like a non gated turbo? is there some thing im missing about a gated turbo? all the waste gate does is allow exhaust gases to by pass the turbo until a determined point be it rpm or whatever then it closes and lets the turbo spool up right?

Old 10-09-2012, 06:03 PM
FordGuy100
Senior User
Wastegated turbo's have smaller exhaust housings, hence the reason for a wastegate (to stop the turbo from overspeeding). Non gated housings are larger and require more volume (Ie load/rpm/EGT's) to spool

Old 10-09-2012, 06:20 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by minitruckeratheart
then why does everyone get gated turbos and tie, weld, or otherwise hold, the gate closed?
not everyone.
my old gal rarely sees the upper rpms since the turbo.plenty of grunt now all down low.as n/a i used to have to let it scream pre-hill and let her talk in 2nd gear pulling hills.she did just fine,but man with the banks wastegated sidewinder,it's like easy as pie.sometimes when loaded and the hill still steep she'll find 2nd and bark for a bit,but it sure isn't for long even at that,where it used to be daily and just about,if not most the way up before she'd ask for 3rd again.
i won't be messing around with my waste gate for anything.
too bad the banks kits are so expensive.it would be nice to have more people banks turbo their n/a idi's.still,they sure are worth their $.
had i known it was so drastic,i would have bought the banks upon truck purchase.it's so freaking nice.

Old 10-09-2012, 06:42 PM
minitruckeratheart
Senior User
Originally Posted by FordGuy100
Non gated housings are larger and require more volume (Ie load/rpm/EGT's) to spool
by that you mean more free space between the housing and the turbine wheel right? cause if not then my question is moot......
that being said, is there any way to choke down or maybe fill in some of the extra space causing the need for more exhaust gases to drop for more boost? did i say that right? does it make sense? i mean that really sounds easier then putting a larger compressor wheel and housing on the turbo. but i dont know much about turbos...

Old 10-09-2012, 06:56 PM
FordGuy100
Senior User
Your compressor can only flow so much. Giving it a smaller exhaust housing will met a higher turbo speed (rpm). But this can cause the turbo to overspeed which can cause turbo failure. You have to match the correct turbine/exhaust housing and compressor/wheel for your specific purpose.

And the wastegated housings are super small as is, I wouldn't go any smaller, in fact I would want to go larger. If you really want low end spool and high end performance, you need a VGT setup.

Old 10-09-2012, 07:01 PM
minitruckeratheart
Senior User
Originally Posted by FordGuy100
. If you really want low end spool and high end performance, you need a VGT setup.
yeah yeah yeah, i been keeping up on THE JET TRUCK thread... i was just trying to figure out a way to squeeze some more low end boost and maybe a quicker spool out of this banks before i got it on the truck.

now that being said, i would love to do the he351ve on my truck, but the cheapest i saw one for on ebay was almost 400 bucks! and ill wait until i have a project truck for all that. this one bolts on! lol

Old 10-09-2012, 07:48 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
i was just trying to figure out a way to squeeze some more low end boost and maybe a quicker spool out of this banks before i got it on the truck.
header wrap the turbo pedestal,cross over,and DP with two layers.i have 0% turbo lag.if i have 1% i sure can't feel it.
(and i still have the n/a ip! lol.)
a turbo blanket wouldn't hurt either.i still need to get on this one.
if you have deeper pockets,you can have the turbo ceramic coated.

Old 10-09-2012, 07:51 PM
minitruckeratheart
Senior User
the turbo has a blanket and i plan on wrapping the y and up pipe didnt know if i was gonna do the DP but was thinking i should since its all gonna be laying on the fire wall!

Old 10-09-2012, 07:56 PM
NMB2
Elder User
retard the timing will spool it faster.

Old 10-09-2012, 08:09 PM
minitruckeratheart
Senior User
ya think one of those turbo spec cams yall are makin would help with spool time as well? maybe even raise total boost? i guess ill just have to buy one and find out huh?lol

Old 10-09-2012, 08:25 PM
88 Ford IDI
Posting Guru
yeah yeah yeah, i been keeping up on THE JET TRUCK thread... i was just trying to figure out a way to squeeze some more low end boost and maybe a quicker spool out of this banks before i got it on the truck.

now that being said, i would love to do the he351ve on my truck, but the cheapest i saw one for on ebay was almost 400 bucks! and ill wait until i have a project truck for all that. this one bolts on! lol
Ball bearing turbos can usually handle higher turbo rpm but they also usually run a bit higher in price as well. I have actually seen some Garrett turbos that are variable geometry and have ball bearing center sections. Those turbos spool really fast and can support a high pressure ratio. I can't remember the company off the top of my head but I have seen a modified Ford 6.0 vgt that had a ball bearing center as well. Iirc it supported somewhere around 650hp and didn't sacrifice much on spoolup. IMO a vgt is the best of both worlds. Quick spoolup and good power...

Old 10-09-2012, 08:26 PM
88 Ford IDI
Posting Guru
ya think one of those turbo spec cams yall are makin would help with spool time as well? maybe even raise total boost? i guess ill just have to buy one and find out huh?lol
Yes you should.

Old 01-01-2019, 05:08 PM
Mickey Bitsko
More Turbo
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts
I'm curious if the low % of people who don't keep their vehicles are leasing and don't worry about oil.
i know nothing about leasing a vehicle, maybe you have to do dealer maintenance program.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: waste gate vs non waste gate?!?!?!