1957 - 1960 F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Box Style Ford Trucks

Finally!

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 05:34 PM
treetrunks
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Finally!

After 3 years of waiting I've finally got my 60 picked up from a relative's and pulled home.

Old 10-08-2012, 05:38 PM
spurredon
Fleet Owner

Received 588 Likes on 528 Posts
Congrats! Pics please!

Old 10-08-2012, 06:15 PM
vntgtrk
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by spurredon
Congrats! Pics please!
This. Oh yeah, I have to post pics of mine. I decided to use my Holy score thread for my build thread.

Old 10-09-2012, 08:05 AM
treetrunks
Freshman User
Old 10-09-2012, 10:10 PM
2losteve
Senior User
Looks like a solid truck. Glad you finally got 'er home. What plans do you have?

Old 10-09-2012, 10:44 PM
treetrunks
Freshman User
i'm going to put in a 460 with a zf 5 spd, paint, and whatever else needs be done to make it a safe daily driver. I'd like to put in a limited slip at some point since it's 2wd. convert it to front discs, maybe power, and maybe power steering

Old 10-10-2012, 02:03 PM
spurredon
Fleet Owner

Nice looking truck. They are safe to drive if driven like an "old truck"! Don't take this wrong but why don't you just get a 70's truck instead of doing all the work if you feel it is unsafe? Oh yeah, a 460 will make it safer!!LOL

Old 10-10-2012, 02:31 PM
vntgtrk
Elder User
Nice looking truck. They are safe to drive if driven like an "old truck"! Don't take this wrong but why don't you just get a 70's truck instead of doing all the work if you feel it is unsafe? Oh yeah, a 460 will make it safer!!LOL
The only safety upgrade I feel is necessary is a dual brake M/C. Most of us who have had a single pot M/C fail will agree with me on this one.
The rest is a matter of making sure king pins, rod ends, brakes at the wheels, tires, etc. are up to snuff.

Old 10-10-2012, 05:44 PM
spurredon
Fleet Owner

Originally Posted by vntgtrk
The only safety upgrade I feel is necessary is a dual brake M/C. Most of us who have had a single pot M/C fail will agree with me on this one.
The rest is a matter of making sure king pins, rod ends, brakes at the wheels, tires, etc. are up to snuff.
That's why you have to have a good functional emergency brake! So many times they are neglected! Epecially once you get a dual system!

Old 10-10-2012, 06:31 PM
vntgtrk
Elder User
That's why you have to have a good functional emergency brake! So many times they are neglected! Epecially once you get a dual system!
By all means, yes! That's part of the etc. I'll bet the oldies here are safer than some cars that are only a few years old. The horror stories I could tell about vehicles coming in for smog checks when I was doing that in Nev.

Old 10-10-2012, 06:35 PM
fordtruck60
Freshman User
Originally Posted by treetrunks
i'm going to put in a 460 with a zf 5 spd, paint, and whatever else needs be done to make it a safe daily driver. I'd like to put in a limited slip at some point since it's 2wd. convert it to front discs, maybe power, and maybe power steering
I also have a 460 for my 59, but with a c6 sitting in my garage. I plan on upgrading to discs in the front. My truck came with the Dana 44 limited slip or posi. Of course it will have to be gone through. I also have a 9" peg leg out of a driving 59 if I chose to use it. Speedway motors has the motor and trans crossmembers for the swap.

Old 10-11-2012, 07:57 AM
treetrunks
Freshman User
i guess i'm not as concerned about safety as functionality. i don't want to adjust front drums all the time like you always have to and with a heavy 460 i might want power steering, but we'll see what budget and time will allow. good to know, thanks fordtruck60

Old 10-11-2012, 09:24 AM
vntgtrk
Elder User
i don't want to adjust front drums
My local parts guy seems to think just ordering adjuster kits for a '64 is the ticket as the part # for the shoes is the same.

Old 10-11-2012, 10:50 AM
2losteve
Senior User
Don't take this wrong but
One of the most irritatiing comments I hear when I've got my truck at a show is "why did you do that, I woulda........" My response is usually something like 'get your own truck and you can do it any way you want'
To me, the great thing about building cars or trucks is - it's mine and I can do it anyway I want. I love the looks of our classic trucks but like to get mine out on the 'big road' and travel with the 'big dogs'. Upgrading antiquated technology is the way to go 'for ME' .

Steve

Old 10-11-2012, 12:35 PM
spurredon
Fleet Owner

Originally Posted by 2losteve
One of the most irritatiing comments I hear when I've got my truck at a show is "why did you do that, I woulda........" My response is usually something like 'get your own truck and you can do it any way you want'
To me, the great thing about building cars or trucks is - it's mine and I can do it anyway I want. I love the looks of our classic trucks but like to get mine out on the 'big road' and travel with the 'big dogs'. Upgrading antiquated technology is the way to go 'for ME' .

Steve
I couldn't agree more, never was trying to tell anyone what to do with their truck!! We are still free in this country to enjoy our past times as we see fit. I have not been unclear about that in the past. Seems like anymore if you you share opinions in society, folks take it the wrong way! Rugged individualism is one of the things that made this country great!

Quick Reply: Finally!