1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

My New Truck Officially

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 10:26 PM
dtgl90vt
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My New Truck Officially

Well this is a continuation of my previous thread prior to me buying my new truck
>> https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...rst-truck.html

BUT TODAY HAS BEEN HELL

I could not have had a worse experience, after meeting the seller 2-1/2 hours away, we went up and got the truck running with the two new batteries that I bought, the wiring was a mess, which was fine, it had a lot of jerry rigged modifications, which was ok. I had planned on all the little things I can fix. BUT, after we drive the truck down the hill and do the paperwork, I go to drive the truck away and less than 100ft from the drive way the drive shafts disconnects at the U-joint and drags on the ground, at this point I try to press on the brakes or down shifts because I didn't know what was going on, all I heard was bangs. My girlfriend was behind me and she was honking, the brakes really weren't work. I finally stopped and got out and, she said somethings hanging, so I look under and it was the DRIVESHAFT. All of a sudden I see the guy pull out in his red truck and drive down my way, I didn't think he was going to stop, but I stood in the road. He pulled up and said what did you do? you did something .... with the clutch? I obviously did nothing, he gets out of his car looks at it, walks back to his car and starts to drive off and says sorry man, its your truck now, its not my problem anymore!

Anyway luckily the place where he had parked his truck was at a guys old junk lot with lots of spare parts and knowledgeable family, the ended up actually helping me all day, gave me a new U-joint, helped me install it, gave me dot 3 fluid, a quart of oil, lots of anti-freeze and water, and drove me to the gas station to fill up a few of there gas tanks with fresh diesel, they were really a life savers and felt bad about what happened, and did it all for nothing.

I am really at fault here because I put too much trust in the seller, I thought I was buying a decent truck and thought he would stick around longer, but I didn't not check the truck properly and never took the truck on the road, I was just two excited and lost my senses.

So anyway I got it home, It definitely needs some work, no brakes lights, or running lights, but the wiring is a mess so I am going to try and work that out tomorrow.

So pretty much I just wanted to get the thread started tonight, I am going to post pictures tomorrow when its light out and I will show everyone the new project.

Feel free to chime in.

Thanks Again Guys,
Devin

Old 10-07-2012, 10:32 PM
dtgl90vt
Elder User
Also in addition, the truck came with an extra set of bud wheels, probably 7 I think, and I was planning on swapping those all on, and supposedly non of them fit because the hub hole is too small!!!!

I am so pissed off

But on that note, I heard you can possibly enlarge the hub hole on your wheels, has anyone ever done/heard of this?

Old 10-07-2012, 10:44 PM
Corner Gas
Lead Driver
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
congrats on the new truck, just a same it had to start that way. Hopefully it doesn't take to much to get the bugs worked out.

Old 10-07-2012, 10:47 PM
dtgl90vt
Elder User
I hope not, I'm more of an optimist but, I am worried about finding more major problems. I am going to start with all the small stuff like the fluids, and then I am going to try my way at the electrical rats nest it has and work my way through little by little, and as long as I don't find major problems that were not mentions I will be alright. I will be really annoyed though if I find things that I got screwed on because I was never told.

Devin

Old 10-08-2012, 04:30 PM
dtgl90vt
Elder User
Hey

i am looking for any kind of simple to read wiring diagram for the rear end of my f350. I have like 5 or 6 connectors in the back and alot of them are not being used, it is just a hack job and I am trying to put it back together so I can get it inspected, does anyone have any sort of wiring diagram for the rear lights, possibly with some color coding.

Old 10-08-2012, 06:02 PM
81ChopTop
Laughing Gas
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
In a way, he's right, not his problem (buyer beware). BUT, he should have stuck around to help. It kind of is the right thing to do.
If you would have bought it from me, I would've helped the whole way (even if it meant bringing it back to the shop and work on it all day).

Hopefully he wasn't too much of a d!ck and lied to you about other problems.

Old 10-08-2012, 06:07 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
I'm sorry things started off so badly in your new-to-you truck venture. Yes, he should have helped. Yes, you should have spent more time checking it out. Yes, many of us have had some form of this story. But, eventually we work through the seemingly endless problems and finally break out of the forrest into the clearing and are finally happy with our trucks. Hang on for a rough ride, but it'll be worth it.

And, please keep us up to date with what you find, questions, and fixes. We'll commiserate.

Old 10-08-2012, 06:19 PM
Sw1tchfoot
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would rather buy a truck with mechanical problems than electrical problems. It doesn't look like a bad truck, try to work past the issues and hopefully you will be satisfied in the end...

Old 10-08-2012, 06:33 PM
dtgl90vt
Elder User
Old 10-08-2012, 06:38 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
You are going to have to buy the wiring diagrams for your truck. That looks like a rat's nest, and fixing it is going to require knowledge of the original wiring.

Old 10-08-2012, 06:40 PM
dtgl90vt
Elder User
Started pulling at the wiring in the rear, I forget how much I told about what was going on, but if you look at the picture with the steering wheel, the switch wrapped around it controls the running lights right now in the back.

I have turn signals, they are part of the big rats nest in the back so they will be compromised i'm sure, I have no reverse lights or brakes lights, I am trying now to test all the signals to figure out what has voltage and what doesn't.

Any help would be appreciated, I am trying to figure this wiring out but it is just nuts.

Thanks for the support guys

Old 10-08-2012, 07:31 PM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
This stuff is from 1981 but I think the stuff you're looking at is the same and will help you (I don't remember what year truck you're working on (*hint* *hint* ))

Yes, getting a copy of the factory wiring diagrams will help you a LOT, they're pretty cheap on eBay and places that sell used factory shop manuals.

Even an EVTM is helpful in its own way, and is usually lots easier to read (but lacks a lot of detail).

Old 10-08-2012, 07:31 PM
81ChopTop
Laughing Gas
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Looks like somebody played "lets see how many wire nuts we can use" to do that job.

On the plus side, the body and frame seem to be pretty nice.

Do you think it would be easier just to get another harness and replace?
I guess it all depends on what you have planned for it.

Old 10-08-2012, 08:31 PM
dtgl90vt
Elder User
Hey thanks for the responses, I have been searching threads and printing useful pieces out for when I start again tomorrow.

Also thought I posted the year, its a 1985 F350 Crewcab 4-speed Diesel 4x4, If I need to post any more info let me know.

The problem is that I am in Vermont right now where I am from and I need to get the truck back to Mass and there are no AutoZone's here and I am really cheap and spend $20 or as close to it as I can a day there so I can get the points so I am not buying a Haynes manual till I get back. I will order a few manuals online but which manuals should I buy???

I looked up EVTM but I am not sure which manual to buy.

Also If I have a diesel should I buy the generic Haynes manual for 80-96 because will this cover diesel?

also how about this guy
Ford Pickups and Bronco 1976-86 Repair Manual | eBay

Or if something else please post a link and I will buy it, I just want something that covers diesel also

Also can I get just a factory wiring diagram on ebay or do you mean get a repair manual and then use that one?

Thanks/sorry for so many questions

Just want to get this thing on the road and back home

Old 10-08-2012, 08:33 PM
dtgl90vt
Elder User
Also how about this one, it is only 80-86 rather than the other Haynes that goes till 96

Ford Truck Bronco 80-86 2WD& 4WD Haynes Workshop Repair Manual (good condition) | eBay

Quick Reply: My New Truck Officially