1957 - 1960 F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Box Style Ford Trucks

HOLY SCORE, BATMAN!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 09:27 PM
vntgtrk
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by theodore/teddy
Progress is good, doing nice work. Have you decided on a color?
The firewall is it. It's Zero Rust gray primer. It also is a sealer, so it can be left alone with no problems and no chalking.
Hopefully I can have it painted and ready for glass by the end of the month. Windshield is on next month's truck budget

Old 06-10-2013, 10:12 AM
theodore/teddy
Refyred
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
That should be very functional.

Old 08-03-2013, 06:13 PM
vntgtrk
Elder User
Progress!!

Old 08-03-2013, 07:03 PM
theodore/teddy
Refyred
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
lookin' good over there! Ain't it nice to be assembling major parts?

Old 08-03-2013, 08:10 PM
vntgtrk
Elder User
Yup. I'm in the process of rebuilding the doors now. New weather stripping, glass runs, etc.

Old 08-04-2013, 06:54 PM
spurredon
Fleet Owner

Received 610 Likes on 547 Posts
Originally Posted by vntgtrk
Yup. I'm in the process of rebuilding the doors now. New weather stripping, glass runs, etc.
That was the hardest part of the whole restore for me! Hope it goes well.

Old 08-04-2013, 07:23 PM
vntgtrk
Elder User
Originally Posted by spurredon
That was the hardest part of the whole restore for me! Hope it goes well.
I'm cheating. I haz a shop manual. I'm also doing away with key lock on the door (why only on the passenger door? What was Ford thinking?) I'll install either an alarm system or a remote locking system BEFORE the windows go in. I'm leaning toward a full alarm system as the price difference is negligible. And I have visions of my ahoogah horn sounding when I unlock the truck.

Old 08-04-2013, 08:31 PM
GPinNC
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You know how in the old movies you see people park their vehicle and then slide over and get out on the passenger side? Well I guess that's what Ford was thinkin. If you pull the drivers door handle the opposite way from opening it...it locks it! Then you slide over...get out the passenger side door...and lock it with the key, lol. Maybe they had a problem with driver side doors getting torn off when parking by cars passing by too closely. I dunno.

Old 08-04-2013, 10:08 PM
vntgtrk
Elder User
Originally Posted by GPinNC
You know how in the old movies you see people park their vehicle and then slide over and get out on the passenger side? Well I guess that's what Ford was thinkin. If you pull the drivers door handle the opposite way from opening it...it locks it! Then you slide over...get out the passenger side door...and lock it with the key, lol. Maybe they had a problem with driver side doors getting torn off when parking by cars passing by too closely. I dunno.
That is a possibility. Roads were a lot narrower then. I already tacked in a patch on the passenger door.

Old 08-05-2013, 03:11 AM
Col Flashman
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
This is what doing research & looking up old Laws is all about.
To this day on the Law Books of the majority of the States, there is a Law that states that it is Illegal to Exit your vehicle out the Drivers Side Door into traffic, when Parallel Parked.
Hence the Cars Companies (FoMoCo, GM, Chrysler, Plymouth, Studiobaker, etc.) Only putting an Exterior Lock on the Passenger Side Door as Standard Equipment.
One could Special Order anything & an Exterior Driver Side Door Lock was one of these S.O.'s. It was also a cost saving device for the Car Companies, as there was a Bad Recession going on at the time as well.

Originally Posted by vntgtrk
I'm cheating. I haz a shop manual. I'm also doing away with key lock on the door (why only on the passenger door? What was Ford thinking?) I'll install either an alarm system or a remote locking system BEFORE the windows go in. I'm leaning toward a full alarm system as the price difference is negligible. And I have visions of my ahoogah horn sounding when I unlock the truck.

Old 08-21-2013, 06:48 PM
vntgtrk
Elder User

I decided to make a bumper out of some 6X2X.120 wall rect. tubing. In the 2nd pic you can kinda see how I put a small piece behind the bumper itself to mount the hitch. Total cost, with brackets, hardware and stuff I already had came to $138. And it's way stronger than it needs to be.
I also have a place to put some flush mount led lights. Still have to make some end caps and paint it, but I think it looks pretty good.

Old 08-21-2013, 07:37 PM
Maltman
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I like, I like! Bumper looks real good...cant wait for more updates

Old 08-22-2013, 09:11 AM
vntgtrk
Elder User
Originally Posted by Maltman
I like, I like! Bumper looks real good...cant wait for more updates
Thanks. I'm not happy with the hitch mount. I need to get a piece of 2X2 tubing to weld on the bottom of the bumper. I feel a truck without a sturdy hitch is, well, a car.

Old 10-22-2013, 03:08 PM
vntgtrk
Elder User

"Slight" change of plans. I scored a 292 w/T98 for less then the cost of an engine core. Complete and partially torn down. This engine is a reman from a local company I've done bidness with before. I took the 3 transmissions apart, put the best stuff together and got a seal kit. Now how did that dang bird know to poo right on the trans fill plug? Shouldn't have left the thing outside over night.

Old 11-01-2013, 03:53 PM
Maltman
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
rig is looking good, how is rest of engine/trans install going?

Quick Reply: HOLY SCORE, BATMAN!!