6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

My second go at the oil change

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 05:54 PM
Tacswa3
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My second go at the oil change

I know there is numerous discussions on the oil change, but I thought I'd add some more experience and "heads up" for new owners

My first oil change was a catastrophe, as many of us learned how messy it is with the amount of oil our rigs hold and how fast it flows out. I decided to use a 5 gallon bucket to catch the oil. Got the bucket underneath no problem, tilted it to catch the initial flow of oil, then let it stand up flat and catch the rest. Not a drop of oil on my cardboard except from dropping the oil plug on it. Sweet.

While waiting for it to drain I got to thinking.......I tilted this empty bucket to get it underneath the truck, but can I get it back out? NOPE, not on the initial try. There is a cross member support in the center of the truck where the bucket was about 1/8 inch to tall to clear. I slid the bucket off the card board and now the bucket just rubbed the cross member. Still wouldn't clear without spinning the bucket ever so carefully, not to spill any oil. It just cleared the cross member with a little finagling. Tire pressure could make or break this situation LOL. I then slid the bucket along the step rail and got it out in front of the rear tire. SO, keep in mind, all 5 gallon buckets may not be created equal. Do some dry runs first and figure where the bucket will fit so your not tilting a bucket full of oil to get it out. Truck is stock, 20 inch rims.

Now onto the oil filter. Same bucket slid right under the filter. I figured I'd loosen the filter until oil seeped out and just let it drain. Did just so, and all was well. No mess yet. I let it drain a while and slid the bucket out of the way and grabbed the filter with a rag and spun it the rest of the way off. Sweet......I thought, until after about a second delay oil POURED from the threaded oil filter shaft. DANG! bucket wasn't in place. So I had oil hit the cardboard for a couple of seconds until I could get the bucket under it.

Still had WAY less mess then my first go round and I almost had ZERO mess this time. Third time should be a charm. I'll be ready for the remaining oil from the filter removal. These oil changes are no different from any other oil change, just have to slow down a bit IF you don't want a mess.

Old 10-07-2012, 06:11 PM
bridge
Sick 'n Tired
Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts
When you first mentioned 5 gal bucket I thought to myself, "how's he gonna get it out from underneath without spilling oil?" Glad it worked out for ya. I'm at 4000 miles and might go ahead and change mine next weekend...sans the 5 gal bucket.

Old 10-07-2012, 06:19 PM
Tim Young
Hotshot
Received 3,505 Likes on 1,386 Posts
I have a large diameter drain pan that holds maybe 5 or 6 gallons works very well.

Old 10-07-2012, 06:40 PM
Tacswa3
Senior User
Originally Posted by Tim Young
I have a large diameter drain pan that holds maybe 5 or 6 gallons works very well.
I haven't been able to find a large diameter pan locally. Gonna have to get online I suppose. 5 gallon bucket worked good for me, it doesn't allow any splashing to occur. Now I know where it can and can't fit. I would like a large pan for the filter removal though.

Old 10-07-2012, 06:46 PM
Tim Young
Hotshot
Received 3,505 Likes on 1,386 Posts
I would think any of the local auto parts stores would have them. I know both of the parts stores here in my little town have them hanging on the wall.

Old 10-07-2012, 06:48 PM
Tacswa3
Senior User
Originally Posted by bridge
When you first mentioned 5 gal bucket I thought to myself, "how's he gonna get it out from underneath without spilling oil?" Glad it worked out for ya. I'm at 4000 miles and might go ahead and change mine next weekend...sans the 5 gal bucket.
The 5 gallon bucket should work for you. Other members have had success with it, don't know if their truck is lifted or not. It clears a lot of areas under the truck, once its under. But getting it out requires a certain "path". It cleared that center cross member by spinning it several times and it "walked" itself out as it cleared. Definitely was rubbing though. Then there is plenty of room to scoot it along the inside foot rail and out in front of the rear tire. This is from the driver's side.

Old 10-07-2012, 07:18 PM
jermort
Senior User
My truck has the snowplow option, front sits a little higher, my 5 gal bucket slides out with about 1/4" clearance ;-)

jammer

Old 10-07-2012, 07:34 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,407 Likes on 1,003 Posts
Autozone has a 15QT drain pan, I use that and it works well. Then I take it to them to drain.

Old 10-07-2012, 07:43 PM
gsxr1300
Posting Guru
I use an empty cat litter bucket that is tall and square
it works great and didnt spill a drop

Old 10-07-2012, 08:03 PM
Tacswa3
Senior User
Originally Posted by senix
Autozone has a 15QT drain pan, I use that and it works well. Then I take it to them to drain.
I actually have 2 of those, both from Autozone. But the tops are enclosed with the exception of the center port hole. This hole is not large enough to handle the volume of oil from the truck. The top overflowed on me last time, oil couldn't drain into it fast enough. I haven't seen any "open" top ones there, maybe they just were out of stock ??

Old 10-07-2012, 08:49 PM
jcc01
New User
I don't think you'll find a open one anymore kinda like the jacked up gas cans they sell now. The government is requiring all that stuff to be spill proof.

Old 10-07-2012, 08:52 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,407 Likes on 1,003 Posts
Originally Posted by Tacswa3
I actually have 2 of those, both from Autozone. But the tops are enclosed with the exception of the center port hole. This hole is not large enough to handle the volume of oil from the truck. The top overflowed on me last time, oil couldn't drain into it fast enough. I haven't seen any "open" top ones there, maybe they just were out of stock ??
Never thought of that with the newer style drain plugs. I guess the bucket is the best for now.

Old 10-07-2012, 08:54 PM
marchare011
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There are some 5 gallon buckets that are about an inch shorter than most. Buckets of drywall compound are what I'm talking about. That's what I use. I have a dually so my truck sits a little lower than the SRW's. I put a 4x4 block under each tire and it lifts my truck another 3 1/2".

I voiced my displeasure last week regarding the design of the drain plug. I've changed my own oil for over 38 years. Plus, I used to work in filling stations while in high school. Have seen a lot of better options than what is on my truck.

Old 10-07-2012, 09:14 PM
cford716
Elder User
Originally Posted by Tacswa3
I haven't been able to find a large diameter pan locally. Gonna have to get online I suppose. 5 gallon bucket worked good for me, it doesn't allow any splashing to occur. Now I know where it can and can't fit. I would like a large pan for the filter removal though.
I have one also. I believe I found it at Lowes of all places. Works great.

Old 10-07-2012, 09:22 PM
jim48
Elder User
I've posted this before and I don't think anyone believes me, so I'll try again. I just changed the oil on my 2011 this afternoon. The way you can do this with no mess is like this:

Loosen the drain plug but hold on to it. If the oil is hot just put a 3/8 extension in the drain plug so your hand is out of the way. Don't let the plug go, but pull it slightly out of the drain hole. You can direct the oil down gently without the oil shooting out all over everywhere. You can almost direct the oil so precisely that it would go into the neck of a 1 gallon milk jug. I know some don't believe you can do this, but you can. I do it every 4,000 miles, no mess.

Jim

Quick Reply: My second go at the oil change