1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

98 expedition will not turn over (Possible PATS)

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 07:51 PM
mrdove123
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
98 expedition will not turn over (Possible PATS)

I have a 98 Expedition 5.4L 4X4

Just purchased this vehicle a month ago and only came with one key from PO.

Ran great until two days ago, drove it approx 30 miles turned off to go into store for approx 20 min, went to restart and the starter would not disengage or stop trying to start after it was already running.

Had no other choice but to drive home in that condition (was in BFE) stopped at advance auto while leaving it running and bought new Battery and starter.

Got home turned it off and immediately tried to restart but nothing! No turn over, but still had all the accessories worked.
I replaced battery, terminals, and starter and still will not turn over.

I took screw driver and connected the two large terminals together on the solenoid and the starter works, turns the engine over with no problems. I took screw driver on a second attempt to bond the large terminal and the small one where the lead comes from ignition and it still turns over. Does that mean my starter solenoid is good?

I can hear a clicking noise coming from the fuse panel when i put ignition in position 4 (start) all lights and stereo goes off when i hear only one click from relay. i release the ignition and let it spring back to position 3 (run) and another click then interior lights and radio starts working again. I don't hear multiple clicks, just the norm when it ran b4. Does this mean my Starter Relay is good?

Out of desperation i then began to disassemble the steering column to see if there was any obvious loose connections at the ignition and checking all the wiring harness etc just for the overall visual inspection. I found the PATS Xcvr ring had copper wires exposed under the rubber dust boot below the ignition. as i began to unassemble the PATS Xcvr and ring the copper wires broke loose from the rubber ribbon cable leading to Part #: F6DF-15607-BA.

The copper ring had one copper wire on it but the ribbon cable has 3 leads going from the ring to the Xcvr. From the Xcvr under the steering column has 4 wire that run to a harness under dash drirectly above gas pedal.

Does anyone know which of the three leads connect to the copper ring? is one of the three a Ground?

I attempted to wrap more copper wire around the ring and create new leads to make connectivity to the three prong ribbon cable with no success.

What else could be my problem as to why it will not turn over with the ignition symptoms i have?

Last why would the PATS have anything to do with the started not disengaging in the first place? Makes me think there is another problem still.

Any and all Advice is always welcome! Thanks everyone in advance!

Old 10-06-2012, 09:01 PM
alloro
Received 4,194 Likes on 2,430 Posts
It's too bad you didn't ask before ripping into the column. You probably did all of that work for nothing. The PATS does not disable the starter from turning. You more likely have a bad starter relay, a bad DTRS, or a loose shifter cable plate. Have you tried slowly moving the shifter while the key is held in the Start position to see if you get a kick out of the starter?

Old 10-07-2012, 11:33 AM
mrdove123
New User
Just went and tried to start it while slowly moving the shifter from park all the way down to L1 and back to park several of times with no luck.

Once i got under the steering column i noticed that the shifter cable has been replaced and it looks brand new and has been recently replaced. I got under the vehicle by the transmission and tried to wiggle what i assume is the shifter cable plate you was referring to and the two bolts holding it on is tight and nothing appears to be loose.

I found a site that has diagram on how to test relay's with a multimeter and the relay is good.

What is DTRS?

Thanks

Old 10-07-2012, 11:36 AM
mrdove123
New User
Oh and if PATS does not disable the starter, what does it disable to prevent it from starting and ultimately theft?

Old 10-07-2012, 12:02 PM
alloro
Received 4,194 Likes on 2,430 Posts
The PATS disables fuel delivery which prevents the engine from starting, but not from cranking.

DTRS=Digital Transmission Range Sensor. It's mounted down on the tranny at the linkage. It tells the ECM the position of the tranny shifter and it doubles as the neutral safety switch. If the DTRS is acting up it could prevent the starter from getting power.

The plate I referred to is under the dash and has the column shifter shaft attached to it. There are 2 torx bolts in it that like to loosen and have cause failure to shift into Park and failure to Start problems. Since shifting through neutral didn't help, you can probably rule out this plate being loose and the source of the problem.

Old 10-09-2012, 12:51 PM
mrdove123
New User
Update...

So I replaced the Solenoid still would not start.

When i disconnected the DTRS wiring harness about 3 table spoons of rustic water poured out of it! Replaced DTRS part and what cha know it now turns over with the key in ignition, however will not start.

Theft light is still flashing fast. I can only assume it is because no PATS ring on it.

While at NAPA and buying the parts the counter rep sold me a "Starter Cut-Off relay".
When my problem originally started the started would not disengage or cut off after it was running. Does this cut off relay have anything to do with that? I would like to replace it anyway just to eliminate another unforeseen problem. In the Owners manual it does not specify where the Starter Cut-Off relay is located. 3 relays under hood and 3 under dash all look identical. Does anyone know which one i need to replace?

Got the new PATS ring ordered at dealership! $157 Yikes!

Old 11-28-2012, 01:15 PM
mrdove123
New User
After replacing PATS ring she runs like a champ! Thanks for all your guys help! been very helpful!