1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Introduction from a lurker.

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 04:17 PM
Voynik
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Introduction from a lurker.

Hello all,

I've been lurking on this section of the forum for some time on and off. I purchase a 1951 Ford F5 a few years ago as a project which never got off the ground.

I figured I should see if anyone needed any odds and ends off the truck as I think I may end up scrapping it which I hate to do with old transportation. The main reason is a title issue (I am from NE Ohio and got the truck in NC) as the title shows an F5 but the VIN tag is for an F1 (though the title has the VIN tag number on it) but also due to the condition of the cab/body panels. Every panel has corrosion issues and/or are in need of some panel beating.

The truck is relatively complete minus the front bumper and flatbed but in rough condition, even for its age. The flathead V8 engine is stuck and has been since I picked it up. It seems to have been converted to 12volt and has a remanufactured starter on it. It does have a couple of items which may be of interest including the factory air cleaner (which seems to go AWOL on a lot of old vehicles), a remote spotlight on the driver's side A-pillar and a hood ornament (in sad but repairable shape) which I have only seen in one picture of a '48 Ford truck.

In any case I would like to know if this old workhorse or parts of it could be of use to get another one back in shape.

Have a good weekend all.

Old 10-06-2012, 04:37 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm in Erie, PA
I know some one that could be interested in the doors.
Where are you?

Old 10-06-2012, 04:52 PM
Voynik
New User
Hello Dick C,

I am near Warren, OH about 100 miles from Erie. I'll have to go look at the doors more to make sure that the lower portions are solid. The driver's side window is broken and the passenger side roll down window is missing completely.

EDIT: Well after looking, the doors don't look so good. They will need a 4x4 inch or so patch in the lower front corners of the door skin and the inner shell is dented in on both sides at the bottom. Below are pics of the drivers door with the passenger door being slightly less worse off.

As I stated in the first post, the body was abused by the PO's being a farm truck and with the corrosion issues it is nothing to write home about. Mainly I was looking for input as to what I should look at pulling off it (meaning small parts as I do not have the storage space) for people looking to restore another truck.

Second EDIT: Anyone know what the deal is with the hood ornament? It looks like a factory item as it matches the hood contour perfectly, but I have not seen it on but one truck picture that I found searching the internet.

Third EDIT: After just completing a search I came up with a hood ornament on EBAY that looks identical but it is listed as for a 1947 1948 Ford Car Coupe Sedan. It would seem odd that the hood contours would be the same between the car and truck. Anyone know a method of removing the chrome from pot metal so that I can fill the pits and have it rechromed (I have parts from a 1965 Honda S90 that are going to be done and can add it for miniman cost if I do the prep work). Then I just need to get some polycarbonate stock to remake the ridge insert (could even go custom and add LED backlighting into the polycarb).

Old 10-06-2012, 05:44 PM
jim collins
Cargo Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Lightbulb

Hood ornament might be from an early,50s, Pontiac , can't really tell from the angle in the picture.

Old 10-06-2012, 06:17 PM
Voynik
New User
Hi Jim,

I believe it is from a '47-'48 Ford car from what I've found an Ebay in the last hour or so. So, it isn't worthwhile to the folks here. I just don't want to bin too many small parts that could be hard to find for someone doing a resto. I have had that problem in the past. If I had a ratty original part to work with, I could finish a project the way I wanted it but a lot of people see it as junk and throw it away.

My ideal situation would be to find someone who wanted a lot of the parts for use, ie the Eaton 2-speed rear axle, transmission, engine and all the little bits and pieces they might need and was willing to offer me the scrap price (~$500-600). They would have to live relatively close due to the cost of moving the beast. I hate to see this old stuff crushed.

EDIT: Here's the EBAY listing for the one I mentioned earlier. LINK

Old 10-06-2012, 06:30 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dont bother trying to remove the chrome and fill in the holes - The plater will redo everything you've done - That way they know that it is to thier specs for any warrenty.
If the plastic insert is intact it in it'e self is worth some money.

Old 10-06-2012, 06:39 PM
Voynik
New User
No the insert is toast but enough remains that I can make a duplicate. As for the plater, I've already delt with him about this issue with some other parts (albeit not pot metal) and he is comfortable with my prep and gives me a break on the plating. In return, I trust his work enough to not hold him accountable for plating failures on those parts. Basically, now that I know I wouldn't be potentially ruining a hard to find part, I would like to try my hand at restoring it to learn how to do it myself.

Old 10-06-2012, 09:33 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Many Ford car hood ornaments could be put on a Ford truck by the dealer or the customer. The air cleaner is not original to the 239 or the 226 truck flathead engines. It may also be from a car.

I'd be interested in the spotlight.

Old 10-07-2012, 12:57 PM
Voynik
New User
51PanelMan

I don't yet have PM privileges on the forum, due to lack of posts I presume. I'll try to remove the spotlight, most likely tomorrow as it is raining today, and take detailed photos of it.

I did a rough shipping cost calculation on the USPS site to ship it to your listed city and was getting a cost just shy of $18. Does that seem high to you, as it does to me?

Old 10-07-2012, 01:05 PM
bigwin56f100
Lead Driver
Received 835 Likes on 473 Posts
I sent you an email last night and one just now. I'm in Akron

Old 10-07-2012, 01:07 PM
Voynik
New User
bigwin56f100,

Just read and replied to your email from last night.

Old 10-07-2012, 01:33 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Instead of parting it out, maybe putting on your local Craigslist for one price and see if someone will buy it as a parts truck to theirs or as a project. Usually it's better to sell the truck as complete, than having to deal with parting one out. It takes a lot of time, effort and storage.

Ask me how I know.

Old 10-07-2012, 02:33 PM
Voynik
New User
51PanelMan,

I may have someone interested in the complete truck, minus the spotlight .

Old 10-07-2012, 02:35 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Perfect! I'd like to put that spotlight into my 51, which has the holes in the pillar where a spotlight used to be.

Old 10-07-2012, 03:58 PM
Voynik
New User
Ok, well looks like the complete truck is tentatively sold (minus the spotlight for 51PanelMan). Will update if the sale doesn't go through.

Quick Reply: Introduction from a lurker.