1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

That Moment when you get to drive...

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 11:11 PM
Tyson C
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That Moment when you get to drive...

Today is a good day...

So today, after having my 55 F100 at the fabricator since May, I was able to drive it home. I honestly feel like I have a brand new truck... Doesn't pull to the right anymore, doesn't fall on its face when I brake anymore... Doesn't feel like i'm a hill billy driving it down the highway anymore... I'm so happy with the results. I would post pics but I don't think i'm allowed to because i'm new. I have some pics in "my garage". Check it out... I hope you guys like it. I still have work to do on it cosmetically, but I love that it is now a solid truck that will survive the test of time now.

When I bought it... PO did the following...
1. 63' Olds 394 with Roto-hydamatic transmission
2. Ford 9" with drum brakes.
3. Ryno-lined the entire floor of the cab
4. Toyota power steering - hokey as all get up.... haha
5. A lot of other; in my opinion, weird stuff...

What I just got done doing...
1. Heidts Mustang II Crossmember
2. Fully Adjustable Coil Over suspension w/Sway bar
3. Power Rack and pinion steering
4. Stock height spindles
5. Power Brake booster, frame mount
6. Had to fabricate new exhaust piping to clear crossmember
7. New steering linkage to route around the manifolds
8. Rear 4" drop Mono leaf suspension
9. Ran engine grounds, they weren't there when it was torn apart for welding.
10. 20x8.5" Cobra R replica wheels with General GMaxx 245x40R20 tires.

Check out my garage for pics...

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/g...Tyson%20C.html

Long story short... I'm over budget but I don't care... I love the truck and i'm glad I now have it on the road...

Tyson

Old 10-05-2012, 11:34 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Welcome to FTE! Oh, I see you're not new. Well I just drove my truck for the first time, so I know how that grin won't fade. Congratulations!

You can post pics in your first post.

Here's one way to do it:

Go to Photobucket and sign up for a free account. Then create an album for your truck. Upload any pics you want to post on FTE to that album. Have this album open on your computer when you want to post pics on FTE.

While you're making a post on FTE, select the pic you want to post from your Photobucket album. When the large version of the pic is open, right mouse click on it and select "View Image Info". The image info will be highlighted and will look something like this:
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/l...ghtsafter1.jpg

Copy that highlighted info (right click / copy).

When you have the spot in your post where you want the pic to be placed, select the "Insert Image" icon at the top of the post (looks like a mountain) and paste (right click / paste) the image info you copied in the highlighted box (just shows "http://" when it opens).

Your pic will be placed in the post.

Hope that helps.

Old 10-05-2012, 11:39 PM
Tyson C
New User
I was told by someone in my first post that pretty much all I can do is do text posts... But it is nice to know I can do it that way. thanks

Old 10-05-2012, 11:52 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
I checked out your two pics, which are great, but our addiction needs feeding, so we need more...

And don't forget to post a video in the "Through the Windshield" thread. It's the purest form of truck ****!

I think the only limitation when you have less than 25 posts is you can't use the search function. But I may be wrong...

Old 10-06-2012, 08:06 AM
topmoo
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Tyson, that is a great looking truck! Enjoy driving it, I can't wait to drive mine (I hope within the next few months).

Old 10-06-2012, 10:51 AM
yamagrant
Lead Driver
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
ATTA BOY Nice ride, welcome from the great white north.

Old 10-06-2012, 10:52 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Nice looking truck! I'd love to hear that Olds motor in a video!

Attached Images   
Old 10-06-2012, 10:58 AM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,792 Likes on 1,824 Posts
Very cool! Congrats on making the first drive, that's a huge milestone. You'll have that silly grin plastered on your face for weeks to come. You'll be making excuse to go for a drive, running silly errands, etc.

Enjoy the ride, thats what its all about
Bobby

Old 10-06-2012, 11:02 AM
rhopper
Fleet Mechanic

Tyson, I worked on mine for six years before I got to drive it. I was a great feeling when my wife and I hopped in and drove it around the block without fenders. It had a beastly look to it! That was on the day that we started the engine for the first time. We rolled it outside and my dog, Cooper, laid down next to the truck just like he's been doing for six years. He's my garage buddy and had been laying next to that nice, quiet truck watching me work all his life. Well it's got dual exhaust, slightly loud, and the timing was alittle retarded so when my wife started the engine, it was LOUD, smoky and with the turn downs dirt flew every where. Goldens sure move quick when scared.

Old 10-06-2012, 11:19 AM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,119 Likes on 2,649 Posts
Congrats and enjoy, it looks great. More pictures would be nice

Old 10-06-2012, 01:15 PM
Mervy49
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Great looking truck, and congrats on your build. One little thing that you mentioned about the "hokey Toyota" power steering though. The Toyota conversion on these trucks is a well documented and acceptable method on this site for several members that want to keep the look and feel of the original stock solid axle. You have an awesome truck and I look forward to seeing more pics of your truck. Oh ya,...welcome. You have come to the most infomative site on the web for these old classics.
mervy

Old 10-06-2012, 11:23 PM
Tyson C
New User
Hey All, Thanks for the comments and feedback...

I have posted a little on FTE but stalked alot... Sorry, as I make posts and assume you all can read my mind...

I'm still smiles ear to ear... today I found reasons to drive around for no apparent reason. Getting on the freeway, It was a cloverleaf style, I was smileing when it just sat there and held like a sports car...

Mervy, When I say hokey, I should have explained more... On my truck, the "hokey" toyota box was not installed right... thats why i say it was hokey... now let me explain what happened... When I turned right... it was one and full turn of the steering wheel, but when I turned left. it was only a half turn of the steering wheel??? it had something severely wrong and unsafe. I'm sorry if I offended anyone as I did not mean to. It probably is a great setup when installed correctly.

I will post some pics of the truck. Hopefully I can follow the instructions as shared in PP.

I think most of the pics are self explanatory... But feel free to ask me any questions. I'm not the fabricator that did the work, but I would like to think I know the talk, just not the walk... haha I don't know if that is good or bad.

I will try to get a video of the engine tomorrow, Sunday.

Tyson

Old 10-06-2012, 11:56 PM
Mervy49
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Hey Tyson, no offence taken. Just wasn't aware of your issues with it. Sounds like it was a real bugger to drive...lol. That's a sweet truck you have there.

Old 10-07-2012, 05:56 AM
Aus56
Elder User
Hello Tyson,
congrats on your truck, it looks great, I love the chromies but those mags make it look so tough, real nice looking. I also had the first drive of my truck about a month ago. That was quite an experience, driving a left hand drive truck on right hand drive roads, and I had never driven anything as big either except trucks in the Army 40 years ago.

It's good to see a different motor used, I like the old days when there would be Buick nailheads and Caddy motors, maybe a Hemi and all sorts of motors. I understand that small block Chevs are an easy fit in a lot of vehicles and have a good parts back up and performance parts, but it is so ho-hum when you look at magazines and they are all Chevs. I like the Ford in a Ford deal, I have a 302 ford engine but I miss the variety there used to be in engines.

Congratulations
Cheers
Neville

Old 10-07-2012, 03:29 PM
Tyson C
New User
So I was able to get it out today and take a video of the engine running. Sorry for the quality as the only camera I have is my Iphone.

Thanks for the great comments guys. I'm young and was never into classics until about a year ago and I have spent so much time researching and learning about these old fords, and I'm still learning. I might not be a purist, but I love giving these trucks a second life and making them better...

1955 Ford f100 with olds 394 - YouTube

Above is the link to the video on youtube.

Hopefully it works as this is the first time i'm sharing a link to a video

have a good day guys

Tyson

Quick Reply: That Moment when you get to drive...