1957 - 1960 F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Box Style Ford Trucks

Upgraded OEM brake master cylinder with power

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 02:02 PM
chetspencer
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Upgraded OEM brake master cylinder with power

Hello FTE world, I'm looking to get a new master cylinder for my 59 F100 and I understand there's an option to get a later model one with split reservoirs and vacuum boost all in one unit. I see there are offers on peebay for a custom unit, but I'd just like to go to NAPA or my local parts store and get an OEM drop in. Your thoughts please. BTW I'm sticking with drums for now, but I'm curious if a Master cylinder for disc will work with drums, so I don't have to upgrade the master cylinder again in the future.

Old 10-05-2012, 06:46 PM
vntgtrk
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd like to find the same thing. As far as the later disc upgrade, the only reall difference is the addition of a combination valve (proportioning/pressure differential)
that is needed with front disc to keep the rears from locking up. You can also get an adjustable prop valve to put, I think, in the rear brake line to reduce the flow to the rear brakes. I'm sure someone will be along to explain this better than I can.
Have you tried LMC?

Old 10-05-2012, 08:06 PM
chetspencer
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by vntgtrk
I'd like to find the same thing. As far as the later disc upgrade, the only reall difference is the addition of a combination valve (proportioning/pressure differential)
that is needed with front disc to keep the rears from locking up. You can also get an adjustable prop valve to put, I think, in the rear brake line to reduce the flow to the rear brakes. I'm sure someone will be along to explain this better than I can.
Have you tried LMC?
I wasn't familiar with LMC, so a big thank you for suggesting that.

Old 10-05-2012, 09:10 PM
ibuzzard
Panties NOT in a Twist

Received 288 Likes on 199 Posts
I have one of the assemblies you speak of,sitting unused in my shop,some day it may get installed.

They have a smaller brake booster to fit beside the clutch master cylinder,and a dual-chamber master cylinder.I am just holding out hope of acquiring an original frame mount booster,a Midland or HydroVac unit.To me, that assembly would look out of place on my mostly stock truck.

The price,however,is right at under 200.00 5 years ago, if I recall.The guy sells them on eBay,is from Texas, and is very helpful,and accessible by phone to answer questions.I'll look to see if he's still selling them.

Meanwhile,CPP sells a similar unit:

Classic Car and Truck Brake, Steering and Suspension Parts

For your info,the stock power brake booster was not firewall mounted, it was frame mounted.The brake master cylinder and clutch master cylinder are too close together.Automatic transmission trucks may have been firewall mounted, I dunno.

Old 10-05-2012, 09:20 PM
chetspencer
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by ibuzzard
I have one of the assemblies you speak of,sitting unused in my shop,some day it may get installed.

They have a smaller brake booster to fit beside the clutch master cylinder,and a dual-chamber master cylinder.I am just holding out hope of acquiring an original frame mount booster,a Midland or HydroVac unit.To me, that assembly would look out of place on my mostly stock truck.

The price,however,is right at under 200.00 5 years ago, if I recall.The guy sells them on eBay,is from Texas, and is very helpful,and accessible by phone to answer questions.I'll look to see if he's still selling them.

Meanwhile,CPP sells a similar unit:

Classic Car and Truck Brake, Steering and Suspension Parts

For your info,the stock power brake booster was not firewall mounted, it was frame mounted.The brake master cylinder and clutch master cylinder are too close together.Automatic transmission trucks may have been firewall mounted, I dunno.
I like your idea of keeping it original with the Hydrovac system and I think that's available from Autozone of all places but that wouldn't solve the single vs dual reservoir safety issue.

I'd did find a all-in-one unit on ebay but it's all blinged out with chrome.

Power brakes FORD TRUCK , CHROME,1957-1972, F-100, F-250 CHROME | eBay

If I could figure out what parts this is made from I'd be all set.

Old 10-05-2012, 09:27 PM
ibuzzard
Panties NOT in a Twist

Chet, that is the guy I bought mine from, New Mexico, not Texas as I thought.Forgive my CRS disease.

He sells one that is the same ,but without the chrome.You can ask him a question through the question function on his listing,he'll talk with you if you request a tel. number.

I'm guessing you could not piece it together for less than what he sells it for, there is also the bracket and arm that adapts to your stock brake pedal arm.

Good luck,Steve

Old 10-05-2012, 09:55 PM
chetspencer
Posting Guru
Chet, that is the guy I bought mine from, New Mexico, not Texas as I thought.Forgive my CRS disease.

He sells one that is the same ,but without the chrome.You can ask him a question through the question function on his listing,he'll talk with you if you request a tel. number.

I'm guessing you could not piece it together for less than what he sells it for, there is also the bracket and arm that adapts to your stock brake pedal arm.

Good luck,Steve
Thanks! Got it saved in my wish list.

Old 10-06-2012, 09:31 AM
vntgtrk
Elder User
Anybody try this? I'll be running a 223/4sp and don't see the need for power brakes. A dual M/C is a neccessity though and this looks like a cheap, reliable wat to go that = parts available @ Grand Theft Auto

57-62 Ford 1/2 ton Pickup - Adapts EC-445 Mustang master cylinder to pedal assembly. Comes complete with hardware.
EC-412............................................... ..................$ 84.95

http://www.ecihotrodbrakes.com/ford_...r_systems.html

Old 10-06-2012, 09:33 AM
ibuzzard
Panties NOT in a Twist

48-52 Ford P/U - Adapts EC-445 Mustang master cylinder to stock 39-40 pedal assembly. Includes hardware. Uses stock Ford pushrod and boot.EC-410A.............................................. .................$ 49.95
Anybody try this? I'll be running a 223/4sp and don't see the need for power brakes. A dual M/C is a neccessity though and this looks like a cheap, reliable wat to go that = parts available @ Grand Theft Auto.
Incorrect for our years.Application is for 48-52.

Old 10-06-2012, 09:37 AM
vntgtrk
Elder User
Incorrect for our years.Application is for 48-52.
Yeah I know, I fixed it. Gimme a break, I just woke up!

Old 10-06-2012, 09:40 AM
ibuzzard
Panties NOT in a Twist

Gimme a break, I just woke up!
I'm almost done with my first pot of coffee before watering the garden,then going to wire a buddy' s shop.

Old 10-06-2012, 09:59 AM
vntgtrk
Elder User
I'm almost done with my first pot of coffee before watering the garden,then going to wire a buddy' s shop.
I got some coffee in me now too. I just wired my shop beginning of spring. Nice having my compresson again.
Also I'm working toward 25 posts so I can make a WTB. Basket cases that are 'complete' usually aren't.

Old 10-06-2012, 10:46 AM
chetspencer
Posting Guru
Could that adapter be modified? That would be the quick and dirty I need to get this truck drivable. Thanks

Old 10-06-2012, 11:31 AM
vntgtrk
Elder User
Originally Posted by chetspencer
Could that adapter be modified? That would be the quick and dirty I need to get this truck drivable. Thanks
I fixed my first post. This company has one for the 57-62 ford pups. It would be the fastest and easiest way. I'm considering it for hydraulic clutch master cylinder clearance as well as no brake booster. The only other mod I'm doing is to go with self adjusting brakes. IIRC it's just a matter of ordering the cable and star adjuster kit for a '62 (64?). I have a local parts guy who knows his fecal matter. I'll check with him before I order the wheel part of the brake system

Old 10-06-2012, 11:35 AM
chetspencer
Posting Guru
I fixed my first post. This company has one for the 57-62 ford pups. It would be the fastest and easiest way. I'm considering it for hydraulic clutch master cylinder clearance as well as no brake booster. The only other mod I'm doing is to go with self adjusting brakes. IIRC it's just a matter of ordering the cable and star adjuster kit for a '62 (64?). I have a local parts guy who knows his fecal matter. I'll check with him
Glad he know's his fecal matter, That sounds like a nice easy upgrade right there. Thanks for the help!

Quick Reply: Upgraded OEM brake master cylinder with power