1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a USED F250....tips ??

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 02:59 AM
Philip Sanders
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Buying a USED F250....tips ??

I have been wanting to buy a F-250 7.3 for the last 5yrs. (only now do I have the money) I have found one on Autotrader.
Cars for Sale: 2000 Ford F250 4x4 Crew Cab Super Duty in Addison, TX 75001: Truck Details - 327961977 - AutoTrader.com

What are the things that are "typically" worn out by 150k+ miles?
I have read about the R4100, Ball joints every 30k, and it burns up brake rotors?

Could I get some pointers on how to get the most for my money? I have 10-15k I cant afford to spend 15k on the (link above) truck, then pay 4,000 for a woods trans, 1,000 for ball joints, and 750 for new brakes and rotors.

I have been looking for a manual. CF6 trans? (is that correct) But they are hard to find, and my truck needs to be a crew cab. A manual would be cheaper to rebuild if required ??

Would I be better off to find a truck with 250k + miles for around 10,000. Then use the rest of the money to replace all the typical things that get worn out. That way in the end I have a solid running truck for another 300k miles?

The attraction I have to these trucks is that if properly maintained they last forever. Dependability is my main goal. I hope to put at least 300k on what ever truck I buy. The problem is I don't have the money to buy one new, so I need to do as much research as possible.

I really appreciate "ANY" comments or suggestions. Im so excited to get this truck, im afraid I will rush in and make a mistake

Thanks for all of your time and expertise!

Old 10-05-2012, 03:07 AM
Philip Sanders
New User
Old 10-05-2012, 08:00 AM
mikeismadness
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I would check out to see if the transmission was replaced. And also check to see if you the truck was regeared for the bigger tires. I wouldn't pay $15,000 though. I paid $12,000 for my 05 V10 Lariat CCSB with a few less thousand miles.

Old 10-05-2012, 08:02 AM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome to FTE.

Well, this truck looks like it has been modded. But, it looks like they have done some good mods on this, like cold air intake, gauges, and a DP-TUNER. This could be a double edged sword. This guy either ran the crap out of the truck, or took great care of it beings he has some of the best mods on it. I don't know what part of the mods are BANKS, hopefully it is only the exhaust. . I say, have it checked out by a diesel mechanic before. If it checked out, I would not be afraid to buy this truck. I would also ask the owner for pics of the engine. We could tell lots from looking at those pics.

The truck does look good. Let us know how this works out and if you have any questions, JUST ASK.

Old 10-05-2012, 08:42 AM
00Dave
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Where are you located? I tried looking @ your profile but didn't seem to find that info.

2003 lifted lariat F250 4x4 crew cab(need to move)

This one is in Ardmore, OK. Fairly close to Tx.

Old 10-06-2012, 03:01 PM
Philip Sanders
New User
Thanks for the welcome miller feed. I also agree with you. If it has allot mods it is either ragged out or pampered. MIKEISMADNESS..The price is a lil high, so im paying for the mods along with higher mileage. I'm looking hard for a manual trans less risk, I think. Also cheaper to rebuild.

BRAKE ROTORS? Is it true these trucks tend to warp rotors? Is it due to heavy braking while pulling big loads, or is it just a design flaw? I wont be towing much, should I consider a aftermarket braking system ?

BALL JOINTS ? I hear these trucks go through these also? Again, is it from high stress from heavy loads, or just a design flaw ? Is there a fix for this ?

Any other things I need to look out for?

OODAVE, I live in Alabama. you have a beautiful truck! But I need something with less miles.

Thanks Yall

Old 10-06-2012, 06:59 PM
Hotpocket
Elder User
mine warps rotors from pulling heavy loads..bout once a year i replace..or deal with the hopping...i have had the same moog ball joints for 100,000 with no problems with regular greasing

Old 10-08-2012, 12:41 AM
Philip Sanders
New User
Thanks Alan. That is good to know.

Old 10-08-2012, 01:13 PM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
i installed Moog ball joints when my truck was only four years old and had 41k on it at the time. I just use full synthetic grease in them and i pump them up ever 4k when i change my oil

Old 10-08-2012, 03:16 PM
BigPigDaddy
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Philip Sanders
I'm looking hard for a manual trans less risk, I think. Also cheaper to rebuild.
That is why I searched until I found a manual trans.

BRAKE ROTORS? Is it true these trucks tend to warp rotors? Is it due to heavy braking while pulling big loads, or is it just a design flaw? I wont be towing much, should I consider a aftermarket braking system?
They have no more problems than any other truck pulling big loads and braking heavily. You should be fine.

BALL JOINTS? I hear these trucks go through these also? Again, is it from high stress from heavy loads, or just a design flaw ? Is there a fix for this?
Again, nothing unusual. Chebbys tend to go through hub assemblies, which are hundred$ each. Mine went about 150,000 on the originals and the replacement is no big deal.

Old 10-11-2012, 07:33 AM
Philip Sanders
New User
BigDaddy- thanks for the reply. So since i don't tow much, the only thing I really need to worry about is the trans.
I found a 02 crew cab (6spd), leather, 4x4 for 16k, But it has 162k miles on it.
On the contrary
Found a 200 crew cab, leather, 4x4, Auto, for 15k, with only 100k miles on it.

I think I just need to have more patience. I really like both trucks. But 162k miles seems too many, when I can find the auto with 62k less miles, and 1,000 bucks cheaper.

Guess I will just hold out and keep looking.
Anyone know of a 99-02, SWB,CREW CAB,leather, manual F250, 120k miles, for around 15k ? LOL,. .... THANKS YA'LL

Old 10-11-2012, 12:10 PM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
6 speed is indestructible, auto is ah so-so. And for a grand less for a auto isn't worth it, when it does go its gonna cost at least 3-4 thousand for a rebuilt auto trans. Plus who doesn't like to shift a diesel?

Old 10-11-2012, 12:11 PM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
i had stock rotors until 90k on my F350 and never had a problem, i replaced them because i don't like to cut them so i replace instead.

Old 10-11-2012, 03:55 PM
Hotpocket
Elder User
Originally Posted by SuperDutyScaler
6 speed is indestructible, auto is ah so-so. And for a grand less for a auto isn't worth it, when it does go its gonna cost at least 3-4 thousand for a rebuilt auto trans. Plus who doesn't like to shift a diesel?
i don't think it is that much...the kit is maybe $600(guessing) plus torque converter.....mine was 2k with the heavy duty rebuild kit..and a u-joint replaced at the same time...also towed it in on a friday and had my truck monday

Old 10-12-2012, 02:25 AM
Philip Sanders
New User
Originally Posted by SuperDutyScaler
I agree with you! I love a manual. But I was referring to the miles on the 2 different trucks. The one with the auto has only 100k and it is 15k. The one with the manual has 162k and the price is 16k. I just don't understand that one.

Your comment on the rotors makes me feel better. I don't have anything to haul, so I don't think it will be much of a problem.

Patience is a virtue. just wish I had more of it! I will continue to hold out, till I can find a lower mileage manual.

Quick Reply: Buying a USED F250....tips ??