Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Excursion - King of SUVs
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-03-2012, 10:05 PM
Senior User

amsk8er1983 is starting off with a positive reputation.
weight distribution hitch reese dual cam vs equalizer

hey guys just looking for a little input I am purchasing a new wolfpack toyhauler travel trailer 35' and can't decide on which wd hitch to get. I have heard both the dual cam reese and equalizer are good but which one is better for towing with the excursion any thoughts or experience? Also I have a 5" suspension lift and 35" tires can't decide on which drop shank I need equalizer makes a 6" max drop and also a 9" max drop should I go with the 9" just to be safe?
Edge Juice, S&B Intake, 4" MBRP, EGR Delete , 5" Icon Dynamics Suspension Lift, Icon Dual Steering Stablizers, 35" Toyo M/T's On 17" XD Revolver's, Dfuser Coolant Filter Kit, Red Head Steering Box, 58v FICM, Blue Spring, 6.4 Banjo Bolts, ELC Coolant, Warn Premium Hubs
Old 10-03-2012, 11:01 PM
Posting Guru

housedad has a spectacular reputation.housedad has a spectacular reputation.housedad has a spectacular reputation.housedad has a spectacular reputation.housedad has a spectacular reputation.housedad has a spectacular reputation.housedad has a spectacular reputation.housedad has a spectacular reputation.housedad has a spectacular reputation.housedad has a spectacular reputation.housedad has a spectacular reputation.
They both will work well, but I will give a warning about the Reese. Some of their stuff is not coming through with good quality control. All the Reese stuff is now made in China. I ended up scrapping my one year old Reese Dual cam due to quality issues and tried something else. Some folks are getting good sets, some are not. To see the specific things to watch for, read and look at the diagrams on the folowing link:

RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Towing: Not happy with my Reese Dual Cam

Bion
2005 EXCURSION now called "ZOMBIE CRUSHER" by the kids. XLT V10 Silver More mods than I want to think about.... (see my gallery)
Ford Towing Guides click here Ford Owners Manuals Click here
Watch out for the Zombies.....
Old 10-04-2012, 06:02 AM
Senior User

Ya I was leaning more towards the equalizer anyways because I haven't heard a bad review yet on its performance. The only negative reviews have been on it being a little noisy. I just want to make sure I get the best one especially with having a suspension lift because I live in Colorado and make two or more trips to Florida a year and just want to be on the safe side. What do you think on the drop shank?
Edge Juice, S&B Intake, 4" MBRP, EGR Delete , 5" Icon Dynamics Suspension Lift, Icon Dual Steering Stablizers, 35" Toyo M/T's On 17" XD Revolver's, Dfuser Coolant Filter Kit, Red Head Steering Box, 58v FICM, Blue Spring, 6.4 Banjo Bolts, ELC Coolant, Warn Premium Hubs
Old 10-04-2012, 09:23 AM
Posting Guru

ExxWhy has a superb reputationExxWhy has a superb reputationExxWhy has a superb reputationExxWhy has a superb reputationExxWhy has a superb reputationExxWhy has a superb reputationExxWhy has a superb reputationExxWhy has a superb reputationExxWhy has a superb reputationExxWhy has a superb reputationExxWhy has a superb reputation
Shank Sizes

They make it easy to pick the shank. Do a couple measurements and plug it in the formula on their website.

I have an Equalizer. Easy to set up, easy to hook up and seems to do it's job well. Only complaint is it's noisy at times. Can be made pretty quiet with fresh grease in the right places.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:58 PM
Junior User

rschwarzwalder is starting off with a positive reputation.
+1 on the Equalizer, works great with my Jayco 314BDS. Noise is only on sharp turns and ya get used to it. People around you don't so you get entertainment from the looks too!
Old 10-04-2012, 07:47 PM
Senior User

bergy 2000 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I have a Reese dual cam sway set up. I didn't realize that there were so many complaints. When I got home I double checked all my hardware. After 2 years and over 20 trips at about 150-200 miles per trip, it all looks great. I like the way it pulls and distributes the weight. No complaints from me. The bars and cams have min. wear and look like they are wearing evenenly. Reese has my vote
2000 Excursion XLT 2wd V10 4.30 rear/ Rancho RS9000XL/ Firestone Air Bags (Rear)/ Hellwig Rear Sway Bar/ Gibson Stainless Side Swept Exhaust/ Scan Gauge II/ 6.0 Trans Cooler/Prodigy P2 brake controller/Reese Dual cam hitch

Keystone Springdale 303 BHSSR Travel Trailer
Old 10-04-2012, 09:09 PM
Senior User

matt1751 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I recently purchased the Reese Strait-Line Weight Distribution System w Sway Control - Trunnion Bar # 66084 to use with a Jayco 31DSLB we got 2 months ago. So far I'm happy with it. Seems to be heavy duty compared to some others I've seen. I've had no problems with it so far.
2005 Kawasaki Brute Force 750
2013 Jayco Whitehawk 31DSLB
To many past Fords and others to list
Old 10-04-2012, 10:15 PM
Senior User

Eric H has a good reputation on FTE.Eric H has a good reputation on FTE.
I'm happy with my Equalizer combined with v/b code springs. I tow a 30' TT.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:00 AM
New User

grndpakent is starting off with a positive reputation.
@grndpakent
First you are talking about two separate issues here. The Reese Dual cam is sway control not weight distribution. The Equalizer dores have a product which does both sway and WD. I tow a 32' Airstream and have used both with satisfactory results. Presently I am using an Airsafe hitch with the Equalizer for WD and sway. This combination has given me the best ride, and safety while towing. The draw back is the greasy bars, and actual weight of the Airsafe and Equalizer. There are newer products on the market which utilize just chains to achieve the WD. I will most likely switch to one of these to avoid the weight and grease.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:04 AM
New User

grndpakent is starting off with a positive reputation.
@grndpakent
The chain system is called Anderson No Sway WD Hitch, Andersen No Sway Weight Distributing Hitch field test by www.MrTruck.com - YouTube
Old 10-05-2012, 10:10 AM
Senior User

bergy 2000 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by grndpakent View Post
First you are talking about two separate issues here. The Reese Dual cam is sway control not weight distribution. The Equalizer dores have a product which does both sway and WD. I tow a 32' Airstream and have used both with satisfactory results. Presently I am using an Airsafe hitch with the Equalizer for WD and sway. This combination has given me the best ride, and safety while towing. The draw back is the greasy bars, and actual weight of the Airsafe and Equalizer. There are newer products on the market which utilize just chains to achieve the WD. I will most likely switch to one of these to avoid the weight and grease.

I think you're mistaken. The Reese is a weight distubeter please see this link.
Strait-Line Weight Distribution with Sway Control - Trunnion Bar - 10,000 lbs GTW, 800 lbs TW Reese Weight Distribution RP66073
2000 Excursion XLT 2wd V10 4.30 rear/ Rancho RS9000XL/ Firestone Air Bags (Rear)/ Hellwig Rear Sway Bar/ Gibson Stainless Side Swept Exhaust/ Scan Gauge II/ 6.0 Trans Cooler/Prodigy P2 brake controller/Reese Dual cam hitch

Keystone Springdale 303 BHSSR Travel Trailer
Old 10-05-2012, 11:41 AM
Junior User

Magilla_v6.0 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I had an Equalizer brand for my Rubicon toy hauler, it worked great. You will need the 9" drop, I had the 6" on my ex with a 4" lift and shorter tires it was at the bottom of the shank.

03 Dodge 3500 Quad/laramie HO Cummins 6speed
Pullls a Keystone Raptor toybox or...
a Bloomer LQ Horse trailer.
Old 10-06-2012, 09:54 PM
Senior User

Thanks for all the info guys I have decided to go with the equalizer with the 9" max drop shank. One more question though I was going to go with the 1,200/12,000 hitch but the dealership thinks I should go with the 1,400/14,000 hitch just in case I decide to upgrade my tow vehicle and trailer later on will that be overkill?
Old 10-06-2012, 10:50 PM
Posting Guru

rlh68050 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.rlh68050 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by grndpakent View Post
Snake oil. It may work ok for light loads being towed by vehicles that shouldn't be towing anything in the first place but that's it.
1995 F-150
Old 10-07-2012, 12:28 AM
Posting Guru

housedad has a spectacular reputation.housedad has a spectacular reputation.housedad has a spectacular reputation.housedad has a spectacular reputation.housedad has a spectacular reputation.housedad has a spectacular reputation.housedad has a spectacular reputation.housedad has a spectacular reputation.housedad has a spectacular reputation.housedad has a spectacular reputation.housedad has a spectacular reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlh68050 View Post
Snake oil. It may work ok for light loads being towed by vehicles that shouldn't be towing anything in the first place but that's it.

Uh-huh.. Snake oil.

It seems to pull my 34 foot 9000lb travel trailer with a 1250lb tongue weight pretty well.

Sure wish I had talked to you before I bought one. I sure could have saved myself from being happy with it.

Bion
2005 EXCURSION now called "ZOMBIE CRUSHER" by the kids. XLT V10 Silver More mods than I want to think about.... (see my gallery)
Ford Towing Guides click here Ford Owners Manuals Click here
Watch out for the Zombies.....
Old 10-07-2012, 12:28 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Excursion - King of SUVs