1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

If I can... You can, A tribute to FTE members

Old 10-03-2012, 05:17 PM
ssj7kids
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If I can... You can, A tribute to FTE members

Last weekend we lost a longtime fellow FTEr, Randy Jack. I never met Randy other than on-line, but we became friends and emailed frequently. If you saw his gallery, or read any of his posts, you quickly learned that he did some amazing stuff to his truck.
Randy gave me the encouragement, at the beginning of my build, that I needed. ONE thread and that was all it took. He said that he had never welded before he started on his truck... I had never welded either, or done body work.
My truck is almost drivable now, I have driven it a couple times. And I want to encourage EVERYONE, especially us guys who really don't know what we are doing, that YOU CAN DO IT.
I want to tell all you guys to check out my gallery, NOT because I'm good, but because I'm not. My truck isn't a "show" truck, and I know some guys want that, but I am more excited to be able to say "I DID IT", rather than having a perfect paint job, that glistens in the sun.
I DID IT... I did the body work, I welded stuff, and I painted the sucker in my barn.
IF I CAN DO IT, YOU CAN DO IT.

If you know me, you know I lost my wife 7 years ago... Now Randy, and others too have left us. Guys, take a moment and thank those who have helped you, or thank your wife for her "putting up with your crazy hobby". None of us are guaranteed tomorrow, so say what you need to say today.

Randy encouraged me, and if you look at my pix, he even made a die to make me a patch panel for my running board... Never met the guy, but that's the spirit all over this FTE board, there are other guys, happily still on the board that have helped me and others as well. I don't want to name names here, as I have (hopefully) thanked them already... and want to dedicate this "YOU CAN DO IT" moment to Randy Jack and his wife Diane.

Thanks to all you guys and gals here on this board, and your dedication to our hobby, and your willingness and generosity to help others.

Blessings,
Steve

Old 10-03-2012, 05:41 PM
teardropty
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RIP Randy Jack.... He too made a difference in my builds. People like him make FTE a wonderful resource and truck rebuild companion. Enjoy that Ford truck in the sky Mr. Jack....

Old 10-03-2012, 06:09 PM
dennisb56
Laughing Gas
Received 48 Likes on 25 Posts
Steve, great post this is a great place, I am glad to be a part of such a fine group of people sharing a common interest.

Old 10-03-2012, 06:25 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 757 Likes on 369 Posts
Great Post! There are so many people that have helped me. I have learned so much from guys here on FTE. I still have so much more to learn. Everyone has always been helpful and tolerated all my uneducated questions.

Shoot, guys here have answered the same question tons of times without complaint. A great group of guys I have never actually met.

Old 10-03-2012, 06:35 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Excellent post. I drove my truck for the first time today, in great part because of the help I received here. I did it all myself... but I didn't really have all that much to do. It just took me a long time to get it done. But I'll repeat... I could not have done it without the help I've gotten here.

Old 10-03-2012, 07:25 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,781 Likes on 1,822 Posts
Well said my good man, well said

Bobby

Old 10-03-2012, 09:45 PM
Brian's 48
Senior User
Nicely said. This is an incredible forum, I think I probably would have givin up on my truck by now without all the information I've got here. I don't post much as it takes me forever to type but I read most of the posts every day. Because of the info here I hope to have my truck on the road next summer.
Brian

Old 10-03-2012, 11:17 PM
Rojak
Posting Guru
Words of wisdom Steve. Thanks for sharing. I'm one of the guys you're referring to. Never paid much attention to my Dad growing up and now that I'm very interested in this stuff I find I have the desire and a great base for a project but not the knowledge. This forum has been very motivational and encouraging for me from the beginning. I've met some great people here both in cyberspace and in person.

Just a quick hijack to back up what you're saying... a member our local antique vehicle club passed away suddenly recently. Was rehabbing after back surgery and died in his sleep. I attended the visitation and then went on to our club meeting. I stood right next to a table that a couple was at that I had become very good friends with over the years. After returning home from the meeting a little while later at about 10:15pm I got a phone call. Our club treasurer was calling to tell me that on the way home from the meeting my friend developed some serious health issues. His wife immediately headed for the nearest hospital but he died before she could get him there. I had just attended the visitation for the one guy and another passes the same night. You just never know when your time in the great garage of life might end.

Old 10-04-2012, 04:52 AM
55 f350
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i read randy's posts as well as keith cruz cab , and they helped jump start the darkside in me once again . at current count i have had 11 people who were aquaintances or friends die this year many from cancer , and i'm getting tired of the losses . all you peeps need to go to the local fountain of youth and take a nice long bath in it till i wander off to the great junkyard in the sky !! only had one die that as much as it sounds cold and bitter , i was happy about , let's just say .... DING DONG THE WITCH IS DEAD , THE WITCH IS DEAD ...... goes against everything right and moral but she made my life a living hell and i have three children that i haven't seen , and they don't want to know me as they believed the lies so ...... i express my condolences to one and all who have lost any one period , and pray that the great spirit guides them safely to the next life where all will be happy and live in peace without the pain and suffering we endure in this life . bless you one and all .Name:  angel smiley.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  2.7 KB

Old 10-04-2012, 06:57 PM
john smith jr
Senior User
Priceless amounts of generous, very knowledgeable, nice folks here. Randy helped me and so have many others. No way I could have a running truck without this forum. Thanks to all

Old 10-04-2012, 07:08 PM
khadma
Carpenter Local 745

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I started this thread a while back, along similar lines.

A great way to acknowledge many FTE contributors.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-the-best.html

Old 10-04-2012, 08:01 PM
topmoo
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
An excellent post Steve. I think almost everyone here has learned things and been inspired by others here. I know I have, there are some things that I have done that I wouldn't have even tried if not for the help offered here. Not only help and inspiration, but humor as well! A very good group of people here. Thanks FTE.

Old 10-04-2012, 08:22 PM
calorchard
Senior User