Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Stage 1s or Stock Injectors?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 11:53 AM
Skinsfan6
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Stage 1s or Stock Injectors?

Hey guys. At 302,000+ miles I'm pretty sure my factory injectors are getting weak. I talked to Jody at DP Tuner and he recommends stock or Stage 1s. I was really only seeking a reliable replacement and not more power but he says Stage 1s should last longer because of the single shot design.

I am intrigued by the rumors of better mileage, longer life, and the same cost as stock.

I have given Jody my concern and I'm awaiting his response, but I will lay it out here so I can gather your opinions.

My concern is: I currently have an F5 with no other mods to my Ex. I do not abuse my truck or tow outside the weight suggestions provided by the DP tuner website. For this reason I passed on getting guages to monitor EGTs, etc. In the last 30,000 miles it has not come back to bite me. I really don't ever worry about it in its current form. Do you think Stage 1s with my tuner modified to accomodate them, would be any reason for more concern about not running guages? I don't want to run guages. If its an absolute must with my treatment of my vehicle, then I feel these injectors are not for me.

Basically I was content with the power I have with my F5 chip and everything else stock and original. But if there are really no negatives to going to Stage 1s and the price is the same, I may go for it.

Thanks in advance for your valued opinions/experiences.

Old 10-03-2012, 12:26 PM
indyF-350psd
you can't fix stupid!
if you dont plan on getting gauges then i would just go with stock sticks......

Old 10-03-2012, 12:44 PM
fordpride
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
X2^^^^^^^^

Old 10-03-2012, 12:53 PM
JT250
Cargo Master
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Souds like stock would be better for you. If you are happy with the power and want reliability stick with stock. You have to have special tuning with the singles. If you ever have to remove your chip your truck will idle like crap. The mpg gains are different for everyone on the singles. If you can keep your foot out of it you might get 1-2 more but there are never any gaurantees. I installed singles in march and my idle has not been right since. I have had my tunes tweaked and still not good. I just had to pull all 8 yesterday to send them back in to have them tested. However that could also happen with any reman injector, or new injector for that matter.

Old 10-03-2012, 01:36 PM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
well that sux, if you cant run the truck with no chip/special tuning with chip, and have stage 1's. Back to the draw'n board.

Old 10-03-2012, 02:07 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
FWIW - you can flash the PCM for singles and the idle-without-a-chip problem is solved.

I just got my singles and I can see the truck is a whole different creature that I have to learn all over. That being said, the singles have a lot more tuning control than the splits, making it easier to actually lower the EGTs on a "stock" tune, further reducing the need for a gauge. I'm not the tuning expert here, I only mention this so you can bring it up with Jody in your next conversation. If you have to pass emission tests, mention that as well.

An EGT gauge should really be put on any diesel IMHO. I learned from my own rig that things go wrong after a lot of miles and gauges are far more beneficial in the high-mile years than when new - they tell you when something expired. I threw a plathera of diagnostics at my engine and found plenty of issues without so much as a nudge from the truck.

This is not a suggestion from me... these are just things to consider and ask others about.

Old 10-03-2012, 03:05 PM
honeydew
Posting Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
See the link below for a relatively low-cost EGT gauge that is easy to mount without having to buy a gauge pod.

Automobile Multimeter for EGT, Boost, Green [SYL-1813G] - $57.50 : auberins.com, Temperature control solutions for home and industry

Old 10-03-2012, 03:50 PM
Skinsfan6
Elder User
Interesting. Looks almost unanimous towards stock at the moment. I realize that installing an egt gauge and pyrometers is not a huge deal, I'm just doing my best to keep this truck (my reliable, simple, try not to fiddle with daily driver) from becoming a project or too modified. Obviously from my sig I have done a few things important to me, but those that have seen my other vehicles know I like engine swaps, homemade custom parts and the like. I'm trying to keep this my reliable vehicle that can be fixed with a normal parts store and my wife can drive without a tutorial.

So essentially I'm all for single shots if the tuning has been developed to the point that I can install sticks and chip and drive another 300,000 miles with little worry. If so ill actually be pretty excited about the extra power, reliability, and possibly mileage.

Old 10-03-2012, 03:51 PM
Skinsfan6
Elder User
Thanks for the link honeydew ill keep that in mind if i go that route. Thanks everyone for the input. I am still standing by to hear more though.

Old 10-03-2012, 04:26 PM
JT250
Cargo Master
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
I wasn't trying.g to steer you away from the stage 1s it just sounded like u wanted to keep it simple. I am sure you can get as many miles out of them as stock.

Old 10-03-2012, 04:36 PM
DP-TunerSales
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We are a full line injectors dealer for Full Force Diesel and can set you up with the single shot Stage One for $1095 or the stock remans for $950, both offer a 18-month warranty. The final decision is really up to, but on average most of our customers that convert to Stage Ones are quite happy and offer positive feedback. They will require some custom programming to run correctly since you'd be converting to single shots, but we can tune these to run safely in an otherwise stock truck

We would still recommend installing at least a pyrometer gauge so you can monitor EGT's while towing, regardless of which injector size you choose to go with.

Old 10-03-2012, 04:46 PM
429 f-100
Laughing Gas
i kept mine stock from new with 7 miles to 250k until i stummbled across this site a couple years ago . i to want to keep this my ultra reliable dd tow any thing any where truck that said ive done a few things look at sig . but i love the differance now and can ride in stock tune and it isnt much different just much more power. if you hit it now in 80e or 100 performance this big old girl hauls butt!! big differance!! coming from old school racing with big block gas motors i always had to give up idle quality or reliabillity for power not with this motor combination it seems the best of both worlds! i now run new stock ss ac's / 38r / and some other stuff i think i can also get another 300k with this setup.if the block holds it.

Old 10-03-2012, 05:13 PM
Skinsfan6
Elder User
429 f-100 how was your mileage affected? Once you got the injectors in and retuned to match have you had to make any changes since?

Old 10-03-2012, 05:14 PM
Skinsfan6
Elder User
DP Tuner is reburning my f5 to match stage 1s included in the price of stage 1s?

Old 10-03-2012, 06:17 PM
429 f-100
Laughing Gas
you will be happy with your decision my mpg is better ill say 18-20 empty and with a semi heavy rt foot. was 16-18 before . as for changes since it is hard to stay out of it it makes this truck very capable of surges of power!!!

Quick Reply: Stage 1s or Stock Injectors?