1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

86 Ranger CMore to the point, does aheck Engine Light

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2003, 12:45 PM
chazcal
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

More to the point, does an '86 Ranger XLT 2.9 Ltr, 4x4 w/ 5 spd man trans have a "Check Engine Light" enabled? I have a Smog tech who want to see it (California), but I opend the console and checked the connectors- nothing there for that trace on the printed circuit. ????? TIA

Old 05-18-2003, 08:20 PM
Ken00
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to FTE!!!

I'm thinking it should but I'm not real familar with the 1986s, I'm sure someone else will help confirm this.

Old 05-18-2003, 09:21 PM
chazcal
New User

Thanks for the welcome, Ken.

I have been getting conflicting responses from supposedly knowledgable agencies- like Ford. Some say yes, some say no. I have nothing on any wiring diagrams, and more importantly, there is nothing existing for a circuit to provide the Engine Check circuit any electric power for a non-existant bulb.

Old 05-18-2003, 10:33 PM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

According to this article, Check Engine lights on EEC-IV Fords were not used until 1988:

http://www.smpcorp.com/download/view/Tt4Q98.PDF

Hope it helps. Welcome to Ford Truck Enthusiasts

Old 05-18-2003, 11:02 PM
mmorto
New User

I don't know if this would be what you are looking for but, I have an 87 and there is a light to check emissions. from what i have found out this light will come on after a specified amount of time and stay on until it is turned off. It might be serving the same function. by the way, can anyone tell me how to shut it off? I have a manual that says there should be a reset button but I have not been able to find it. Four different shops all said to disconnect the battery and that should take care of it. No Luck

Old 05-18-2003, 11:11 PM
chazcal
New User

Thankyou. I have taken digital pictures with my handy HP camera to illustrate the absence of wiring, and the article you referred me to bolsters my claim. Again, many thanks.

Old 05-18-2003, 11:35 PM
chazcal
New User

I happen to know something about that- there is a small hole your dash compartment, upper right, which when using a smallish probe will reset the EMISS light, set for 60000 mile "tuneup". Its in Chiltons. Check it out. Thanks again.

Old 05-19-2003, 02:01 AM
Jason Does
New User
Question 86 Ranger CMore to the point, does aheck Engine Light

I'm glad you brought this up. I've never seen the cel on my truck and was once told that Pin 17 on the computer was where the power for that originated. The question I have is this, can I put a test light on the pin connector like a normal circuit? Is there anyhthing between the pin and the light that I want to watch out for?
I just thought of this while typing my question. I could use my digital multi meter and see if the pin is hot............duhhhh

Old 05-23-2003, 07:53 AM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Lightbulb 86 Ranger CMore to the point, does aheck Engine Light

Link(s) to another tech article on accessing Ford trouble codes on older vehicles. Note that the article (Part I) also states that "Check Engine" lights on EEC-IV Fords were not used until 1988:

Accessing Ford EEC-IV Service Codes Part I (KOEO)

Accessing Ford EEC-IV Service Codes Part II (KOER)

Also, here is a link to a page with a list of EEC-IV Fault Code Definitions:

EEC-V Fault Code Definitions

Last edited by Rockledge; 05-23-2003 at 08:36 AM.
Old 05-23-2003, 10:20 AM
LDS54111
New User
Talking 86 Ranger CMore to the point, does aheck Engine Light

the fact of the matter the 1986 for ranger indeed does have a check engine light. it should come on for a brief few seconds when the key is first turned on. if it does not do this. given the year i would start by checking the light bulb behind it..it is in the the center light on the bottom between the gauges..in fact the computer that controls the light is above the glove box under the dask cover. the only way to get to it is by taking off the dash cover. But indeed the 1986 ranger has a check engine light. I have a 1986 ford ranger as well. It has the 2.9 ltr and Came with a automatic transmition which i just recently swapped out for a 4 speed manual. alot more torque for off roading. I worked in a ford dealership for a few years as a auto technician..so if you have any more questions about this then just write to me at ktwok@frontiernet.net.....Hope this helps..

Ps I was wounderintg what kind of fuel milage everyone elese gets..and if anyone has a 4x4 with the 2.9ltr and a 4 speed. I am getting 25mpg.

Old 05-23-2003, 01:32 PM
chazcal
New User

I opened the dash and discovered 1.) there was never a bulb installed behind the "Check Engine decal -little plastic window there) and 2.) there is no conductor in the connector that would mate with the trace leading to that lamp socket. Feed back from Ford Motor company indicated that this model, a 1986 2.9 liter, 4x4 w/5 speed manual trans, was equipped with an EMISS warning light, for the 60000 mile maintenance check.

Old 05-23-2003, 05:51 PM
mmorto
New User

Can you describe the location to reset the EMISS light?
I have looked for it again. still no luck. Nobody around here has Chilton's. Only Haynes. Less then worthless.

Old 05-23-2003, 06:11 PM
chazcal
New User

According to Chilton's, making sure the key is OFF, locate the sensor (above the right front cover of the glove box) and "lightly push a Phillips screwdriver or small rod tool through the 0.2 inch diameter hole with the sticker labeled "Reset" and lightly press down and hold. Then while holding the reset down, turn the key to the Run position. The EMISS light should come on for as long you hold down the switch.Hold the switch down for 5 seconds. Remove the tool, and after about 25 seconds, the lamp should go out and the light has been reset. If the light goes out, turn off the ignition and then turn the key back to the RUN position and verify that the EMISS light illuminates for another 25 seconds, then goes out. This will verify the circuit is reset. If not, go back to step 1...."...supposed to have been present from '85 on.

Old 05-24-2003, 11:59 PM
mmorto
New User

I'll try it sometime this weekend when I get a chance.