6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Couldn't make it 10,000 miles....

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 08:31 PM
Andrew010
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Couldn't make it 10,000 miles....

....without a failure.

My driver's side mirror finally broke. It will no longer power fold. It's been slowly dieing over the last few weeks, getting slower and slower. Now it won't move on it's own and the electric motor hardly makes any noise/effort trying to move the mirror.

I would assume that should be replaced under warranty but who knows...

We'll see what service says about it tomorrow.

Old 09-30-2012, 08:46 PM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
Received 1,447 Likes on 893 Posts
That sux... Should be a warrenty repair.

I wouldn't get caught up in this Ford won't warrenty this or Ford won't warrenty that! A few months ago my wifes '11 Ford Edge engine stalled in the parking lot and the CEL light came on. I came over to pick the Edge up and drove it to the Ford dealer/service department. No hassles, no fussing, no problems.... Ford repaired it under warrenty.... Who would've guessed!

Old 09-30-2012, 09:46 PM
bridge
Sick 'n Tired
Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts
I've never had an issue while under the 3yr-36Kmiles warranty. I've had shocks, window regulators, the plastic cap on the F-150 shifter, front suspension, HVAC service, etc replaced without incident. Under the ESP they're a little more picky, but the service writers can usually sell the ESP folks on the coverage.

While you're already taking it in to the dealer, check the TSB's that apply and make sure they perform those as well. Its free while under warranty. Once out of the bumper-to-bumper they won't due them w/o charging you.

Old 09-30-2012, 09:48 PM
Andrew010
Posting Guru
I don't do any of the TSBs as Ford can not reprogram my computer. H&S is all I need!

Old 09-30-2012, 10:02 PM
bridge
Sick 'n Tired
Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew010
I don't do any of the TSBs as Ford can not reprogram my computer. H&S is all I need!
In that case, put some duct tape over your OBD port to make sure the service guys stay the hell away from your PCM.

Just the same, you never know when Ford might release a TSB regarding the A/C, suspension, body/frame or something that doesn't apply to engine management.

Old 09-30-2012, 10:05 PM
02transam
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sorry to hear but it should be covered under warranty no problem.

Old 09-30-2012, 10:17 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
This should be a quick warranty repair.
Ford has no reason to deny a mirror issue because your powertrain is modified.

Old 09-30-2012, 11:05 PM
Minzbig
New User
....without a failure.

My driver's side mirror finally broke. It will no longer power fold. It's been slowly dieing over the last few weeks, getting slower and slower. Now it won't move on it's own and the electric motor hardly makes any noise/effort trying to move the mirror.

I would assume that should be replaced under warranty but who knows...

We'll see what service says about it tomorrow.
I have 30k on mine, just coming up on my first year with the truck and all I have been to the dealer for has been oil changes and a driver side mirror that stopped folding.....weird? Be prepared to have pictures taken of it for damage. I made an appointment thinking they would see it didn't fold and 20 min later I would be out the door.....nope, first they took pictures of the truck and the mirror to get approval from Ford. They they called me later the same day to tell me the pictures they took didn't get it approved, so back I went. I got a call the next day with approval...so three times to the dealer to get a mirror fixed.

I understand why they did what they did, and my dealer was apologetic for the hassle. Just be prepared, they want a picture from all angles. 6 total.

Old 10-01-2012, 06:18 PM
Andrew010
Posting Guru
Dam mirror wouldn't fold all weekend, including this morning. Went to show the service writer what was going on and wouldn't ya know, it works again. FML. Now I have to wait again for it to "break" and stay broken to show the service guys. This is the 3rd time the mirror has stopped working then started working again. It's like it needs lube or the motor doesn't have enough power to fold the mirror sometimes. This has been going on for 3 months or so now. Hopefully it will completely die sometime soon and I can get it replaced.

Old 10-01-2012, 06:29 PM
Adventure Rider
Senior User
Unfortunate example of Murphy's Law - hate when that happens

Won't they look at it just on word that it has been failing?

Old 10-01-2012, 06:30 PM
Minzbig
New User
Dam mirror wouldn't fold all weekend, including this morning. Went to show the service writer what was going on and wouldn't ya know, it works again. FML. Now I have to wait again for it to "break" and stay broken to show the service guys. This is the 3rd time the mirror has stopped working then started working again. It's like it needs lube or the motor doesn't have enough power to fold the mirror sometimes. This has been going on for 3 months or so now. Hopefully it will completely die sometime soon and I can get it replaced.

Our trucks were clearly built on he same day....

Mine did the same thing in front of the commercial service manager. I went to show him it didn't work and of coarse it folded....three times in a row....but not the fourth! I think the issue with mine showed up after the people at the car wash folded it manually.

Try this, take and fold the mirror manually when you are having issues with it, either it will make it better, or it will make it worse.

Old 10-01-2012, 06:33 PM
Andrew010
Posting Guru
Folding mine manually seems to make it better for awhile. Eventually it will completely break or the truck will be traded in. It's a race! We'll see who the winner is this coming spring/summer.

No, they wouldn't replace the mirror based on my word. It has to be broke and they see it. "Could not duplicate customer complaint" came to mind...

Old 10-02-2012, 07:46 AM
Rod Bensken
Senior User
My truck had 350 miles on it when the right mirror quit extending. They took all sorts of pictures and had to send them to Ford to prove it hadn't been damanged by me. Took them 2 days to get a new one in.

Old 10-02-2012, 09:29 AM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Received 7,061 Likes on 2,214 Posts
Maybe a piece of her tiara fell off and jammed the gears in the mirror?

Old 10-02-2012, 09:31 AM
Rod Bensken
Senior User
Originally Posted by SavageNFS
Maybe a piece of her tiara fell off and jammed the gears in the mirror?

LOLO...She thinks she's a princess.

Quick Reply: Couldn't make it 10,000 miles....