1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Here's What A Cream Puff Looks Like

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 06:41 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Here's What A Cream Puff Looks Like

Found this on a lot in Owasso today - the one across from the IHOP. It is a 1980, F100 Custom. Guy said he's selling for his buddy, who is asking $4,000. But, he would probably take a bit less. It has 90K original miles, original paint except for maybe the passenger's front fender which has a slightly different hue to it.

Had a topper on it all its life and the bed looks essentially new. Note the bed bolts.

And, I didn't think I'd ever see this, but both of the #$%^&*( sliding locks work.

Note the plexiglass protecting the chart:

Note the jack handle hold-down:

This might serve as a reference for what trucks are worth.

Old 09-29-2012, 06:58 PM
Fordzilla80
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Very clean truck for sure!

When I first saw the shift handle, I became excited. But then I remembered this was an F100, and only one transmission had the shift lever in that spot. SROD.

Old 09-29-2012, 07:17 PM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
Note the jack handle hold-down:
Looks like a drapery rod on a a home-made bracket but better-engineered than most shade-tree stuff.

Old 09-29-2012, 09:10 PM
FORD COASTIE
Supporter of Patriotism
Received 2,362 Likes on 1,708 Posts
Man, that is a nice looking old truck! If it were a little closer to me, I might have to buy it.

Old 09-29-2012, 10:38 PM
Corner Gas
Lead Driver
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Nice looking truck for sure. I have never seen any sliding locks work, make me envious.

Old 09-29-2012, 10:49 PM
Fordzilla80
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Corner Gas
Nice looking truck for sure. I have never seen any sliding locks work, make me envious.
They all have the ability to work, you just have to put small screws through the rear bracket first.

Old 09-29-2012, 11:00 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by Fordzilla80
They all have the ability to work, you just have to put small screws through the rear bracket first.
Say more. What do you mean?

Old 09-29-2012, 11:06 PM
Fordzilla80
Postmaster
Say more. What do you mean?
Usually when the slide locks fail, it's because the plastic "welds" separate from the holes in the metal bracket. If you insert small screws between the four little stems and the four holes in the bracket, it acts as a wedge between the stems and the bracket, and keeps the two halves from separating. The screws have to be small, and you can't tighten them all the way down or else the slider won't be able to move.

I did this to one of my old slide locks three years ago, and it still hasn't come apart.

81-F150-Explorer can probably describe it better than I can, I learned about this little trick from one of his older posts.

Old 09-30-2012, 09:41 AM
Dorsai
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
That's a pretty sweet truck. Feel free to grab me the snorkus hose off it when nobody's looking, that's about the only thing I'm missing on mine.

And, I didn't think I'd ever see this, but both of the #$%^&*( sliding locks work.
This can't be *that* rare, can it? Both of mine work, no problems.

Old 09-30-2012, 12:09 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by Dorsai
That's a pretty sweet truck. Feel free to grab me the snorkus hose off it when nobody's looking, that's about the only thing I'm missing on mine.

This can't be *that* rare, can it? Both of mine work, no problems.
I have two 81's and have two working locks between them.

Old 09-30-2012, 12:13 PM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
My father did something very similar to what Shaun described to my locks... he inserted some pieces of wood into which the bbrackets were screwed, I think the wood was held on with JB Weld.

Been this way for ~5 years now.

Old 09-30-2012, 03:14 PM
81-F-150-Explorer
Post Fiend
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Here are my observations from the pictures...

Wow, a almost totally no factory options truck there.

The only factory options I see is Dual Tanks, Long wheelbase and the tranny.

It's had a dealer radio kit installed, dealer A/C installed. Most likely when it was new, and looks period correct. The Super Cooling radiator was installed when they did the A/C, so they did a good job there. Should have added the fan shroud at the same time though. It's got an aftermarket slider... Also period correct... Aftermarket or homeade bumper. Is there a picture from the rear?

It's got wheelip mouldings, but it looks like it's been added on at a later date. Too many screws are observed holding it on on the left front side. Dealer installed would have used the same screws as the factory. The Left front wheel lip moulding also does not seem to be placed on the fender correctly, looking at the picture.

The wheel covers are wrong for the 1980. Could be dealer stock as they are period correct for the 1979. The wheels would also be black if those wheel covers were stock. I see white showing through. Most likely had the standard argent painted FoMoCo scripted dog dishes used at the time.

No power steering, no power brakes, idiot lights, the 300-6, all standard equipment.

Some of the things that I don't like... The upper radiator hose. The Tach and what looks like a vacuum gauge. The plexiglass over the sticker, although it does protect it, and the improvisation of the jack handle clip. The way the front wheelip moulding is fastened on the left front fender. The bed liner tailgate cover. Why is the bottom of the door sills a different color? New floor pans? and the Door latch striker bolt on the left door looks taped.

Some of the things I do like, looks like original paint, the bed looks great. I see factory crayon marks on various parts of the engine bay. Floor mat looks great, pedals don't seem to be replaced, and has the right amount of wear on them. The steering wheel looks like it has most of it's texture as well.

My thoughts without seeing it in person... A low mileage truck, very basic low optioned truck, with some dealer accessories added at time of sale, and a few things added later. Some of it that wasn't done quite right though.

I'd offer him $2000 and see what happens. Haggle etc...

Old 09-30-2012, 04:16 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
You are spot-on. The only thing I didn't catch was the door sill bottoms and the dealer-installed radio. The owner of the lot has already told his friend the tach and vacuum gauge HAVE to go. The wheel lip moldings look correct but just installed incorrectly. And, I knew the wheel covers weren't right and told the guy, but didn't know from whence they came - thanks for that. And, he and I stood there and talked about the tailgate cover. No idea why it is on there as the bed hasn't had a liner or cover.

But, I'm not in the market. I have more trucks than I need now. Just wanted people to see what a babied truck looks like. And, if they are buying a truck that's what I'd look for since, IMHO, it is far less expensive to buy something good up front than to pull one out of a field and try to make it a show truck.

Anyway, thanks for all the input.

Old 09-30-2012, 06:06 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Buddy of mine just bought that trucks twin. 81 3006cyl, 3 on the tree. original owner, 78k. $1800

Old 09-30-2012, 06:30 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Yep, that one sure looks a lot like it. That was a good price if the truck is as clean as it appears.

Quick Reply: Here's What A Cream Puff Looks Like