Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-29-2012, 11:48 AM
New User

1999 F350 dually is starting off with a positive reputation.
early 99 powerstroke fuel routing

doing some random searches recently i found this statement posted:

"the late 99 and up powerstrokes have a dead-head fuel rail"

of course this could just be some yayhoo posting bad info, but i do not know. can anyone tell me- do the early 99's have a return line coming from the fuel rail? i have recently completed a wvo conversion that was designed on the assumption that the rail was dead-headed; if not i am sending wvo back to my diesel tank. no bueno. truck is parked until i get this figured out. i have tried to look in there but cannot tell.

thanks in advance.
Old 09-29-2012, 01:35 PM
I'm a cautionary tale

Tugly has a spectacular reputation.Tugly has a spectacular reputation.Tugly has a spectacular reputation.Tugly has a spectacular reputation.Tugly has a spectacular reputation.Tugly has a spectacular reputation.Tugly has a spectacular reputation.Tugly has a spectacular reputation.Tugly has a spectacular reputation.Tugly has a spectacular reputation.Tugly has a spectacular reputation.
Dead, dead, dead. The flaws in the Superduty/Powerstroke fuel system:
  1. Fuel starts in a fuel line with Quick-Disconnects to make dropping the tank easier. When the fuel gets low in the tank (about 1/4 tank), gravity stops pushing the fuel in the line and the pump starts to create a vacuum in the fuel line. QDs have o-ring seals, and these suck at sealing... well.... suction.
  2. Any air in the line from a bad o-ring seal enters the fuel bowl and the pressure regulator bleeds much of the air back to the tank - where a mixing chamber lies in wait. It then makes sure the air feels welcome with the fuel by mixing it with fresh fuel from the pickup - like a nosey aunt trying to pair you up with her friend's daughter. The air mixture gets a proper mixing with this aerate, return, aerate - until the fuel bowl makes a nice bubble bath and the injectors get a foam diet.
  3. There is no fuel pass-through on the head - except through the injectors. There is a threaded port on the end of each head for installing a test gauge, but the factory kept these pre-occupied with plugs.
  4. Back to the tank... there is a funnel-shaped pickup in there that sometimes falls off. Off! Leaving a tube at mid-tank tring to suck fuel up by... I dunno... Magic?
Cures? I have links in my signature for the Hutch mod and the FRx.
Old 09-29-2012, 03:35 PM
Elder User

1fixitman has a very good reputation on FTE.1fixitman has a very good reputation on FTE.1fixitman has a very good reputation on FTE.
Dwayne Dotson
Mine is dead headed. The SQUARE plugs on the early 99 for a FRx is at the rear of the drivers side head in a small inset that the intake plenum has curved into it. Same thing on the passenger side rail except the SQUARE plug is on the front.
Dwayne
Dwayne Early 1999 F250 2WD Extended cab. 190k B.E.S.T. Map CCV re-route, 50 cent mod, EBPV delete w/ blank pedestal, Resistor installed, 6637 filter w/pete's cover, Used 38R and Intl Up pipes(thanks for the great deal and getting that clamp back on...Jason), billet Plenums, new boots and clamps, AE, Stancor style GPR $38 http://www.aerialequipmentparts.com/...586-105111.htm. Window tint, Hutch and Harpoon mod, Parts on bench: HPOP re-seal kit, ICP, IPR, CPS, FRx, 4 way heater hose valve for cold AC mod, .
Old 09-29-2012, 03:39 PM
Elder User

1fixitman has a very good reputation on FTE.1fixitman has a very good reputation on FTE.1fixitman has a very good reputation on FTE.
Dwayne Dotson
If you plan on installing the FRx from Riffraff then you will have to grind on the up-pipe to collector connection on the drivers side for the new fitting. The late 99-03 has that connection 3/4 inch higher and you do not need to grind on the metal. I am going to wait to upgrade to the late99-03 setup with bellowed up pipes and a GTP38R after the fall this year.
Dwayne
Dwayne Early 1999 F250 2WD Extended cab. 190k B.E.S.T. Map CCV re-route, 50 cent mod, EBPV delete w/ blank pedestal, Resistor installed, 6637 filter w/pete's cover, Used 38R and Intl Up pipes(thanks for the great deal and getting that clamp back on...Jason), billet Plenums, new boots and clamps, AE, Stancor style GPR $38 http://www.aerialequipmentparts.com/...586-105111.htm. Window tint, Hutch and Harpoon mod, Parts on bench: HPOP re-seal kit, ICP, IPR, CPS, FRx, 4 way heater hose valve for cold AC mod, .
Old 09-29-2012, 05:41 PM
New User

1999 F350 dually is starting off with a positive reputation.
thanks guys. stellar and useful information as usual.
Old 09-29-2012, 05:41 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel