6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

EBC Brakes - Who's Gottem?

Old 09-28-2012, 08:32 PM
berick
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
EBC Brakes - Who's Gottem?

So today I heard the faintest sound of metallic noise when applying my brakes. I was hoping to squeeze by this winter and change out pads and rotors in the spring but I am not that lucky.

I had switched to EBC pads on all my ATV's after a friend had told me about them and I was so impressed with them in that aspect that I thought I would research them a bit for my pickup.

Has anyone used these pads and rotors and are they noticeably better? They sell different colored pads and by the looks of it for a 1 ton that hauls a travel trailer every once and awhile in the summer, I figure the Yellowstuff pads look the best. Not too happy that they make a bit more dust than the stockers but I will take a little better braking if it means a bit more dust.

Old 09-29-2012, 06:56 AM
Nice Work Truck
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I put on rotors and pads from ART and like them a LOT.
I have also heard good things about ECB.
Just make sure you flush your brakes and power steering when you do them.

Old 09-29-2012, 07:51 AM
Fulthrotl
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by berick
So today I heard the faintest sound of metallic noise when applying my brakes. I was hoping to squeeze by this winter and change out pads and rotors in the spring but I am not that lucky.

I had switched to EBC pads on all my ATV's after a friend had told me about them and I was so impressed with them in that aspect that I thought I would research them a bit for my pickup.

Has anyone used these pads and rotors and are they noticeably better? They sell different colored pads and by the looks of it for a 1 ton that hauls a travel trailer every once and awhile in the summer, I figure the Yellowstuff pads look the best. Not too happy that they make a bit more dust than the stockers but I will take a little better braking if it means a bit more dust.
i use and love hawk pads.
seat of the pants feel is double the braking power on a
10k# work van. and vans have smaller front brakes than trucks.

summit racing sells them.

Old 09-29-2012, 08:56 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
I had EBC's on my Chevy and wasn't at all impressed. I've had great luck with the Motorcraft premium replacement pads on my CC truck. Great wear, great stopping power, and no dust.

Old 09-29-2012, 10:26 AM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,453 Likes on 1,700 Posts
Originally Posted by npccpartsman
I've had great luck with the Motorcraft premium replacement pads on my CC truck. Great wear, great stopping power, and no dust.
+1 !

Old 09-29-2012, 12:20 PM
berick
Elder User
I had EBC's on my Chevy and wasn't at all impressed. I've had great luck with the Motorcraft premium replacement pads on my CC truck. Great wear, great stopping power, and no dust.
Hmmm.... not what I was hoping to hear. I put the order in last night for new EBC Rotors and Yellowstuff pads. I got more than triple the life I got with my factory pads on my ATV and much better braking, so I figured automotive applications would be an upgrade as well. They seemed to get good reviews on the net.

Maybe it was the type of pads you were using? They have 5 or 6 different pads they sell for different applications.

Old 09-29-2012, 02:00 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
I was running the EBC Green stuff on my 02 Ranger 4X4. I really liked
them. I am thinking of going with EBC when I have to re-pad this truck.
Yes even with the Green Stuff there was a little gust, But it did not
turn rust red.

Sean :drink

Old 09-29-2012, 04:16 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by berick
Hmmm.... not what I was hoping to hear. I put the order in last night for new EBC Rotors and Yellowstuff pads. I got more than triple the life I got with my factory pads on my ATV and much better braking, so I figured automotive applications would be an upgrade as well. They seemed to get good reviews on the net.

Maybe it was the type of pads you were using? They have 5 or 6 different pads they sell for different applications.
Maybe it was the greens and not the yellows, but it's been 7 years since I put them on. They didn't last 25K miles and stopping was no better at all. I study things quite a while before I purchase and they would have had to be good or I wouldn't have spent my $$$.

Old 09-29-2012, 06:41 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 58 Likes on 41 Posts

X3 here as well

My MC Pads went 75K on the rear end and 85K on the Front end

Iv never had a After Market set come even close to that Half that would be luckey

Old 09-30-2012, 09:40 AM
mustang9701
Tuned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i tried the ebc yellow once and took them off within 1000 miles, noisiest pads i ever ran

Old 09-30-2012, 06:06 PM
Benchwrench
Posting Guru
just installed stock rotors and EBC's a couple months back
have just reached the break in mileage time to do the required 60mph-20mph E stops in order to transfer brake media to the rotors. When they were first installed they were very noisy for the first 100 miles or so but they haven't peeped a squeal since then.
These brakes shine under duress. Give 'em heat they love it. This is what they are made for.
When under normal braking there is no indication of a premium brake pad installed.
However under a load or in a panic stop they will put you through the windshield.
The green stuff or any other brake media will work just fine under normal circumstances and normal driving habits.
But this is what I was told from EBC: what the YellowStuff does best is... it is designed to progressively offer greater stopping power under duration and heat rather than fade.
So in summary, if you occasionally tow, anything you want to buy would work but if you want heavy tow brake pads, these are that kind of pad media you want.
I went with this pad media because of a bad experience I had when towing as I was headed West from Denver on I-70 outside the Eisenhower tunnel, very scary.
It was a tough trying to choose which pad to buy but I've always used this European made pad on my motorcycles. so I thought; why not the truck?
They also wanted to impress upon me that they will exhibit higher than normal brake dust but this is the trade off for this type of pad media.

I think Hawk also sell a heavy tow pad as well but chose EBC instead

Old 09-30-2012, 08:33 PM
berick
Elder User
When we take the truck and trailer out in the summer months, I always have to crank up the gain on the trailer brakes. I have had to stop hard a few times and it always feels as though the trucks factory brakes were straining..... this is the reason I went with the Yellowstuff pads. I realize they may leave a little more dust but at the end of the day I want the stopping power and I am hoping these accomplish just that.