6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

To Tune & Not Delete...thoughts on this? Delete = less back pressure = less throttle response ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 09:55 AM
Jayybird
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
To Tune & Not Delete...thoughts on this? Delete = less back pressure = less throttle response ?

Fellas,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
I spoke to one of the gentlemen over at KEM performance. I was inquiring getting set up with H&S custom tunes and deleting everything. The gentlemen i spoke to suggested leaving all emission control alone and to use their "green" tunes. He said to delete was no additional benefit on the 6.7 unlike the 6.4 & 6.0. Actually, he said that he was in the process of putting the DPF back on a truck because he found that it actually ran better. Removing the DPF and jacking with the emission stuff messes up the back pressure for the engine to run correctly (so he said). He said, having the DPF in place and improved throttle response and was better than a straight pipe and the 6.7 was designed around the emission control stuff . He recommended to at least try the green tunes leaving everything in place before deleting.<o></o>

This train of thought is new to me, as I had it engrained in my head to dump all the emission control stuff. Also, he said EGTs with all the emission control is not as much of a concern on the 6.7 as was on the 6.4 and 6.0.<o></o>

<o> </o>
Also, I thought this was interesting, he said with tuning alone and a CAI the truck actually regened less!! I had a long explanation that I can’t regurgitate. <o></o>

Thoughts on deleting now????<o></o>

Old 09-28-2012, 10:58 AM
parkland
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't have a 6.7, but I work with a few guys that have them, and a few friends too.
Those that tuned them seem to be very happy.

No regen + no EGR = longer lasting truck.

Any tuner voids you're warranty, so I don't see the point if you're gonna leave the emission stuff on.

Old 09-28-2012, 11:11 AM
FORDTUF1
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I took all the stuff off when I got it and it ran like a scalded dog being chased by a cheetah. It smoked too much and was too loud, I went with 5" straight no muffler, to tow our camper and have family in the truck all summer long.

I put all the emissions back on and ran DPF present, I guess that's what your guys calls "green tunes". Problem is half the reason I did this was to stop regens and wasting fuel, and to stop buying DEF.

New tunes and less smoke, my straight pie went back on but I got a 5" Flowmaster muffler. Now 50% less smoke and at least 50% less noise and it got back another 30-50 HP. I've heard gassers talk about back pressure being needed, I ran my street car with flowmasters for sound rather than back pressure though.

I'd think if you are concerned with back pressure run the 4" and get the muffler. I don't think you'll be concerned after that. If it's more power you want and don't mind buying DEF then go with it, the power is amazing with DPF present too.

Old 09-28-2012, 12:12 PM
Jayybird
Tuned
Thank you for the input. I think for now, i will try just tuning alone and not mess with removing stuff. If that keeps me happy, great. If not, then i'll remove the junk and I'll already have the tuner in place. One step at a time as its pretty expensive to do. I will be very cautious and watch temps.

THanks

Jay

Old 09-28-2012, 12:31 PM
FORDTUF1
Elder User
Go to H&S website, I think is where it's at, to get their recommended de-fueling parameters. Basically it starts backing off the power of the tuner if you reach pre-set levels.

I have mine at this I think.
Coolant Temp HOT 230 F
Coolant Temp COLD 120 F
Boost 30 psi
EGT 1450

The cold temp means you won't get the tuner power until the water reaches that limit. Once you do you'll see and hear the beeps as it goes from "No Power" (which is your stock rating form Ford) up to whatever point you have it set on.

Old 09-28-2012, 12:37 PM
darren32
Lead Driver

Received 736 Likes on 141 Posts
Getting rid of EGR is only GOOD

Old 09-28-2012, 01:51 PM
Jayybird
Tuned
Would be nice, to me atleast. To block EGR and run mild tuning and leave everything in place and functioning. Seems to me that would be the way to go. EGR is the root of any issue, just block it. Leave DPF in place, i would assume you would have less regens and I know less heat into the engine and less soot. Mild tuning, blocked EGR, leave DPF in place and sacrifice the occasional regen, and run mild tuning. That seems to the package that appeals to me the most assuming you can block EGR and leave rest in place, not sure if thats doable...

Also, KEM mentioned they got a little over 500HP at the rear wheels with tuning and CAI leaving DPF and emission alone. When removing it, they had no gain in HP and less throttle response.....just repeating what i was told.

Old 09-28-2012, 02:29 PM
darren32
Lead Driver

Received 736 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by Jayybird
That seems to the package that appeals to me the most assuming you can block EGR and leave rest in place, not sure if thats doable...

Also, KEM mentioned they got a little over 500HP at the rear wheels with tuning and CAI leaving DPF and emission alone.
I am not sure if you can do that either. Not that I know of. If you find it is possible please let us know.

I just wonder how the emissions equip will hold up over time. But they have been doing it for a while and everything I have heard is good.

Thanks

Old 09-28-2012, 08:04 PM
FORDTUF1
Elder User
I can say I've done it twice to my truck and I can tell there is more power with DPF deleted. As for responsiveness I know it's not any worse with it off, but maybe now with the re-tuning of the fuel delivery at lower turbo boost it may be a little more.

I'll be looking at updating to the last tune updates from this week.
I know it's louder and I like it to sound like a diesel with enough power to pull a house down! It's not a rattle trap like dudge, it a mean aggressive rumble with a muffler. If you want race truck sound just go straight pipes, when you stomp it everyone within a half mile will know it. Okay maybe only 2500 feet, but dang close to a half mile.

Old 09-28-2012, 09:48 PM
Andrew010
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Delete it or leave it alone!