Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Other Ford Engines > Flathead V8 & Flathead 6
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-28-2012, 09:04 AM
Freshman User

cajunspice is starting off with a positive reputation.
51 ford hard top v8 flathead running hot

I put a dual point dist. in a v8 flat head . I set the timming by hear and the way it starts and run ..it starts and runs great .. but running hot and spitting out when turned off. rad. was worked 2 new water pumps and thermosatats.. could timing be off ??? to cause this??

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 09-30-2012, 06:14 PM

Beechkid is a splendid one to beholdBeechkid is a splendid one to beholdBeechkid is a splendid one to beholdBeechkid is a splendid one to beholdBeechkid is a splendid one to beholdBeechkid is a splendid one to behold
Timimg might be an issue but to fast flowing of the collant will cause this also......back in the 50's, they use to install washers (flow reducers) in the upper rad hose intake to slow it down giving time for heat transfer.......
Old 10-20-2012, 07:23 PM
Senior User

geomechs is starting off with a positive reputation.
Those restrictors are a bit of contraversy in the circles I travel in. I do understand that if your water pumps are those new style ones with the curved turbine blades they recommend that you use restrictors. Otherwise use something like 160 thermostats.
Hope one of those works for you.
GMS
Old 10-20-2012, 10:34 PM

Beechkid is a splendid one to beholdBeechkid is a splendid one to beholdBeechkid is a splendid one to beholdBeechkid is a splendid one to beholdBeechkid is a splendid one to beholdBeechkid is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by geomechs View Post
Those restrictors are a bit of contraversy in the circles I travel in. I do understand that if your water pumps are those new style ones with the curved turbine blades they recommend that you use restrictors. Otherwise use something like 160 thermostats.
Hope one of those works for you.
GMS
Just an fyi- my dad (in his 80's now) is an ol salt flats racer, still has a 3-window (purchased in the early 60's- barn find in West LA), with a 1948 Merc flathead (one of his original race engines from 1949- turned 211 at El Mirage in a streamliner & 149 in the flying mile in a 1936 coupe)....he still runs a restrictor in the upper radiator intake with a 165 degree thermostat....runs typically 180 degrees in all weather....and he still likes to jump on it to show a corvette or two just exactly what a flathead can do (grin). He ran with art Christman, Stecker Brothers, SoCal speed, Speed Donaldson, Jerry Green, Futz, Agajenian, Ed Eskenderian- was well known in the area of Thunder Alley for his engines (one was featured in HRM in 1955)...and swears it is the best way to keep em cool.
Old 10-20-2012, 10:34 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Other Ford Engines > Flathead V8 & Flathead 6