1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help with a (sometimes) noisy 5.4...

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 06:39 PM
Bubble-City
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help with a (sometimes) noisy 5.4...

I have a 2005 F250 Super Duty, 5.4, with just over 56k miles that I need help diagnosing an engine noise issue. When the engine is cold, it runs great but is just slightly noisier than I think it should be with these miles. It has good acceleration and will drive great for a very short distance. With no warning signs, the engine will start to rattle, like it looses oil pressure. Sounds mostly like top-end rattle, similiar to an older engine with worn-out lifters, only much louder and more pronounced. Shut the truck off, wait a couple seconds, and restart...no noise. It may do this after a mile or two or maybe just 1/4 mile. Occurred once when I lost traction and tire was spinning. Always under accelleration, but not sure at what RPM.

Originally, it had codes that indicated bad cam position sensors. Not knowing about the 5.4 cam phaser/VCT solenoid issues, I changed the cam sensors. Obviously, this did not fix it. So I researched a little more and what I read led me to change the VCT solenoids, which I replaced with new Ford parts. Drove the truck 3-4 miles, and it seemed like it was fixed. Went for a drive today and made it 1/2 mile before it happenned again.

I am not sure where to go from here. From what I have read, cam phasers make noise cold, and all the time. Mine is fairly quiet cold, but rattles like crazy, suddenly, when under accelleration and at operating temp. And is always quieted down when restarted. It will do this over and over again. So, where do I go from here? I don't mind spending the money for the phasers, but after just spending almost $200 for the VCT solenoids, I'd like to make sure that the phasers will cure it. Or is there something else that I am missing? If the oil pump were weak, I'd think that I would have spun a bearing by now. Any suggestions???

Old 09-27-2012, 07:32 PM
Bigpipes 35
Cargo Master
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Bubble-City
I have a 2005 F250 Super Duty, 5.4, with just over 56k miles that I need help diagnosing an engine noise issue. When the engine is cold, it runs great but is just slightly noisier than I think it should be with these miles. It has good acceleration and will drive great for a very short distance. With no warning signs, the engine will start to rattle, like it looses oil pressure. Sounds mostly like top-end rattle, similiar to an older engine with worn-out lifters, only much louder and more pronounced. Shut the truck off, wait a couple seconds, and restart...no noise. It may do this after a mile or two or maybe just 1/4 mile. Occurred once when I lost traction and tire was spinning. Always under accelleration, but not sure at what RPM.

Originally, it had codes that indicated bad cam position sensors. Not knowing about the 5.4 cam phaser/VCT solenoid issues, I changed the cam sensors. Obviously, this did not fix it. So I researched a little more and what I read led me to change the VCT solenoids, which I replaced with new Ford parts. Drove the truck 3-4 miles, and it seemed like it was fixed. Went for a drive today and made it 1/2 mile before it happenned again.

I am not sure where to go from here. From what I have read, cam phasers make noise cold, and all the time. Mine is fairly quiet cold, but rattles like crazy, suddenly, when under accelleration and at operating temp. And is always quieted down when restarted. It will do this over and over again. So, where do I go from here? I don't mind spending the money for the phasers, but after just spending almost $200 for the VCT solenoids, I'd like to make sure that the phasers will cure it. Or is there something else that I am missing? If the oil pump were weak, I'd think that I would have spun a bearing by now. Any suggestions???
When was the last time you changed the oil ? I only ask because it sounds like maybe the oil filter has collapsed or is plugged. Are you using the motorcraft oil filter? I have heard about issues with other filters because they dont have a silicon valve.

Old 09-27-2012, 09:31 PM
Bubble-City
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry forgot to mention that I changed the oil before I replaced the VCT solenoids. I had heard about the possible aftermarket oil filter problems, but I removed a Motorcraft filter and replaced it with a Motorcraft filter and 5W20 oil. I did notice some sludge-type buildup inside the valve covers, but nothing too extreme given the mileage.