1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Which Gauges?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 12:01 PM
BuckHammer
Cargo Master

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts
Which Gauges?

Okay, so I'm thinking that it's time for gauges, because I'm thinking about doing a chip on my truck soon after. My question is, which gauges are your trucks equipped with and what do you think about them? I've been looking at the ISSPro EV2 boost and pyrometer gauges, which I will link to below. Are these decent gauges? Let me know what you think.

Isspro EV2 Pyrometer
Isspro EV2 Boost Gauge

I also figured I'd buy the potentiometer wiring and the drill and tap set, just to make things easier.

Old 09-27-2012, 12:40 PM
tshrager
Lead Driver
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I've heard nothing but great things about the Isspro's. I've never seen them in person, but I really like my Autometer Phantoms. They Look great and so far they've performed marvelously. One thing to note on the Autometer's (I'm not sure if they're all like this) is that I had to buy the EGT probe separately.

Old 09-27-2012, 04:00 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I run ISSPRO EV2s in my PSD and Autometers in my gasser. I like both sets of gauges a lot. Personally, I prefer the ISSPROs, but ISSPRO didn't have any tachs that I liked for my gasser so I had to go Autometer.

I've installed several sets of EV2s now. Wiring is pretty easy, they look nice, and they haven't given me any issues with the exception of one fuel pressure sending unit, but I've had the same issue with my Autometers.

On the ISSPRO pyro, the probe will come with the gauge, not sure why the Autometer that Todd got didn't come with the probe. I thought they all came with the probe. You will have to get a tee fitting to put the boost sensor in the map line. That fitting won't be included.

I installed my ISSPRO gauges with the potentiometer and installed a set for a friend of mine with out the potentiometer. The only advantage IMO is that you can set the maximum brightness of the gauges through the POT... Other than that it never gets used and the wiring was just as easy without the POT. Just run one wire for ignition to all gauges, one wire for ground, and one for the dimmer. The ignition, ground, and dimmer gets daisy chained up all the gauges.

ISSPRO

Autometer

Old 09-27-2012, 05:57 PM
fordman67
Hotshot
Received 389 Likes on 266 Posts
If u do gsuges ill swap drilling and tapping manifold for a used trans....i have good ol auto meters.cant go wrong with them ya know...

Old 09-27-2012, 06:03 PM
BuckHammer
Cargo Master

I'll take you up on that. I have no idea what I'm doing in that area.

Old 09-27-2012, 06:12 PM
Awitte58
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did glowshifts for the price at the time, but after hearing good things about autometer... and finding out that autometer is based out of il near me.. im all about autometer.

Got to go tour the place and make some connections.
I will be purchasing autometer from here on out. lol

Old 09-27-2012, 10:13 PM
fordman67
Hotshot
Received 389 Likes on 266 Posts
Originally Posted by BuckHammer
I'll take you up on that. I have no idea what I'm doing in that area.
No problem. Be glada to helpthe out.hope thingsi are gonnathe slow downon at homethe a bitsmall here soon! also if u were to do auto meter contact me before u buy.

Old 09-27-2012, 10:38 PM
pjwoolw
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd go with the ISSPRO Performax. Expensive initially but cuts down on wiring. Central point under the hood. Allot cleaner installation.

Old 09-27-2012, 10:51 PM
BuckHammer
Cargo Master

Really? I'm all about cleaner installation, especially if cleaner = easier.

Edit: After a second glance, it looks like the price disparity is a little too steep for me.

Old 09-28-2012, 11:05 AM
Talyn
Hotshot
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
Before you order from clay on the wiring kit, I think he mentioned something to me about them including all the wires now so you don't have to get the dimmer kit to get the wire set.

If you hook yours up the way everyone else does, the dimmer kit is useless IMO. It will never see the power or brightness they are capable of pulling off an already stressed circuit.

Performax are for something completely different. That's kind of a silly suggestion PJ.

Call and talk to Clay about that sorta stuff. He knows more about it. He isnt' far from the factory either.

IssPro's warranty is awesome as well. I had sensor issues, they just mailed me a new sensor. Sensor ended up being fine, but they didn't ask questions. They juts took care of me.

Old 09-28-2012, 11:21 AM
BuckHammer
Cargo Master

Well, I can't really justify over $200 more for something that does the exact same thing with the exact same quality, anyway. I can reasonably afford the EV2 setup, but affording the Performax kit would be a little more stressful for me.

Old 09-28-2012, 12:50 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Talyn
Before you order from clay on the wiring kit, I think he mentioned something to me about them including all the wires now so you don't have to get the dimmer kit to get the wire set.

If you hook yours up the way everyone else does, the dimmer kit is useless IMO. It will never see the power or brightness they are capable of pulling off an already stressed circuit.
They do include the wires needed. So really the only point in the dimmer kit would be to set the maximum brightness, but mine are always turned all the way up and they are about like the stock gauges, maybe a little brighter.

Old 10-02-2012, 02:33 PM
Bill97
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For what it's worth I'm running glowshifts. Seem to work fine for the price point. I did have an issue with my EGT gauge, and they replaced it for me. Overall pretty happy with them.

Old 10-02-2012, 05:37 PM
Talyn
Hotshot
Originally Posted by strokin'_tatsch
They do include the wires needed. So really the only point in the dimmer kit would be to set the maximum brightness, but mine are always turned all the way up and they are about like the stock gauges, maybe a little brighter.
Thanks Travis.

They used to not include all the wires was what I was getting at. I remembered clay telling me something about it, I just couldn't recall how accurate my information was.

You used to have to get the dimmer kit to get all the wires needed, or use your own wire for 2 of the wires.

Old 10-02-2012, 05:40 PM
Talyn
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Bill97
For what it's worth I'm running glowshifts. Seem to work fine for the price point. I did have an issue with my EGT gauge, and they replaced it for me. Overall pretty happy with them.
IssPro are made here in the US in Oregon.

Our feedback is put into their products.

They care.

Super High Quality Product.

Glowshifts and autometers are nice, but features don't mean **** to me when I need a gauge to give me info. I don't care how "pretty" it looks.
Function over Form.

Not ragging on your product, so dont take it that way.

IssPro is worth every penny.

Actually, I should put it this way.

If Clay is selling it on his website, that means whatever company he's listing Stands behind their product and cares. I trust his judgement on products.

Quick Reply: Which Gauges?