Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-27-2012, 01:01 PM
Postmaster

BuckHammer has a good reputation on FTE.BuckHammer has a good reputation on FTE.
Pilgrim812
Which Gauges?

Okay, so I'm thinking that it's time for gauges, because I'm thinking about doing a chip on my truck soon after. My question is, which gauges are your trucks equipped with and what do you think about them? I've been looking at the ISSPro EV2 boost and pyrometer gauges, which I will link to below. Are these decent gauges? Let me know what you think.

Isspro EV2 Pyrometer
Isspro EV2 Boost Gauge

I also figured I'd buy the potentiometer wiring and the drill and tap set, just to make things easier.
1996 F-250 XLT 4x4, "Heavy Metal", 7.3L Powerstroke, ZF S5-42 transmission with Valair clutch and flywheel, Supercab, 8' bed, Riffraff 6637, HPX, Dieselsite 203 degree thermostat, 3" Downpipe to 4" straight pipe exhaust.
"you are not a troll. a pain in the --- sometimes, but not a troll." - tjc transport
Old 09-27-2012, 01:40 PM
Postmaster

tshrager has a good reputation on FTE.tshrager has a good reputation on FTE.
I've heard nothing but great things about the Isspro's. I've never seen them in person, but I really like my Autometer Phantoms. They Look great and so far they've performed marvelously. One thing to note on the Autometer's (I'm not sure if they're all like this) is that I had to buy the EGT probe separately.

96 F350 4x4 PSD, CCLB, E40D -> ZF5, 4.10ls, Riffraff 6637, 3" DP to 4" straight pipe, SD 17*, Autometer Phantoms, BTS tunes, 180/80 stage II's, DIY/Rebilld E Fuel, Aeroforce Scan Gauge
On The Shelf - Intercooler/pipes 350-380HP on the Travis Dyno
Old 09-27-2012, 05:00 PM
Post Fiend

strokin'_tatsch is a splendid one to beholdstrokin'_tatsch is a splendid one to beholdstrokin'_tatsch is a splendid one to beholdstrokin'_tatsch is a splendid one to beholdstrokin'_tatsch is a splendid one to beholdstrokin'_tatsch is a splendid one to beholdstrokin'_tatsch is a splendid one to beholdstrokin'_tatsch is a splendid one to behold
I run ISSPRO EV2s in my PSD and Autometers in my gasser. I like both sets of gauges a lot. Personally, I prefer the ISSPROs, but ISSPRO didn't have any tachs that I liked for my gasser so I had to go Autometer.

I've installed several sets of EV2s now. Wiring is pretty easy, they look nice, and they haven't given me any issues with the exception of one fuel pressure sending unit, but I've had the same issue with my Autometers.

On the ISSPRO pyro, the probe will come with the gauge, not sure why the Autometer that Todd got didn't come with the probe. I thought they all came with the probe. You will have to get a tee fitting to put the boost sensor in the map line. That fitting won't be included.

I installed my ISSPRO gauges with the potentiometer and installed a set for a friend of mine with out the potentiometer. The only advantage IMO is that you can set the maximum brightness of the gauges through the POT... Other than that it never gets used and the wiring was just as easy without the POT. Just run one wire for ignition to all gauges, one wire for ground, and one for the dimmer. The ignition, ground, and dimmer gets daisy chained up all the gauges.

ISSPRO

Click the image to open in full size.

Autometer

Travis- Death Row Diesel Inmate #7
1995 F-250 RC PSD- because race truck
2000 F-250 SC LB 4x4 ZF6- 4" TB, 6637, TW and Gearhead tunes, 160/100s, Driven Diesel full fuel system, S365..
1994 F-150 4x4

Old 09-27-2012, 06:57 PM
Post Fiend

fordman67 has a good reputation on FTE.fordman67 has a good reputation on FTE.fordman67 has a good reputation on FTE.
If u do gsuges ill swap drilling and tapping manifold for a used trans....i have good ol auto meters.cant go wrong with them ya know...
Old 09-27-2012, 07:03 PM
Postmaster

BuckHammer has a good reputation on FTE.BuckHammer has a good reputation on FTE.
Pilgrim812
I'll take you up on that. I have no idea what I'm doing in that area.
1996 F-250 XLT 4x4, "Heavy Metal", 7.3L Powerstroke, ZF S5-42 transmission with Valair clutch and flywheel, Supercab, 8' bed, Riffraff 6637, HPX, Dieselsite 203 degree thermostat, 3" Downpipe to 4" straight pipe exhaust.
"you are not a troll. a pain in the --- sometimes, but not a troll." - tjc transport
Old 09-27-2012, 07:12 PM
Posting Guru

Awitte58 has a good reputation on FTE.Awitte58 has a good reputation on FTE.Awitte58 has a good reputation on FTE.
I did glowshifts for the price at the time, but after hearing good things about autometer... and finding out that autometer is based out of il near me.. im all about autometer.

Got to go tour the place and make some connections.
I will be purchasing autometer from here on out. lol

Old 09-27-2012, 11:13 PM
Post Fiend

fordman67 has a good reputation on FTE.fordman67 has a good reputation on FTE.fordman67 has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckHammer View Post
I'll take you up on that. I have no idea what I'm doing in that area.
No problem. Be glada to helpthe out.hope thingsi are gonnathe slow downon at homethe a bitsmall here soon! also if u were to do auto meter contact me before u buy.
Old 09-27-2012, 11:38 PM
Postmaster

pjwoolw has a great reputation on FTE.pjwoolw has a great reputation on FTE.pjwoolw has a great reputation on FTE.pjwoolw has a great reputation on FTE.pjwoolw has a great reputation on FTE.
I'd go with the ISSPRO Performax. Expensive initially but cuts down on wiring. Central point under the hood. Allot cleaner installation.

Old 09-27-2012, 11:51 PM
Postmaster

Pilgrim812
Really? I'm all about cleaner installation, especially if cleaner = easier.

Edit: After a second glance, it looks like the price disparity is a little too steep for me.
Old 09-28-2012, 12:05 PM
Post Fiend

Talyn has much to be proud ofTalyn has much to be proud ofTalyn has much to be proud ofTalyn has much to be proud ofTalyn has much to be proud ofTalyn has much to be proud ofTalyn has much to be proud ofTalyn has much to be proud of
Before you order from clay on the wiring kit, I think he mentioned something to me about them including all the wires now so you don't have to get the dimmer kit to get the wire set.

If you hook yours up the way everyone else does, the dimmer kit is useless IMO. It will never see the power or brightness they are capable of pulling off an already stressed circuit.

Performax are for something completely different. That's kind of a silly suggestion PJ.

Call and talk to Clay about that sorta stuff. He knows more about it. He isnt' far from the factory either.

IssPro's warranty is awesome as well. I had sensor issues, they just mailed me a new sensor. Sensor ended up being fine, but they didn't ask questions. They juts took care of me.
1994 F250 XLT 4x4 Standard Cab - T-444E Direct Injection Turbo Diesel, 5 SPD M/T Z/F S5-420, Rosewood 160cc Stage 1's, PHP Tuner, 6637, Short Throw Shift Kit, Valair Kevlar/Ceramic, 140V IDM, T-500, 285/75/16 Cooper Discoverer ATR. Steyr C9-A1.
You can get more with a kind word and a 2x4 than you can with just a kind word.
Old 09-28-2012, 12:21 PM
Postmaster

Pilgrim812
Well, I can't really justify over $200 more for something that does the exact same thing with the exact same quality, anyway. I can reasonably afford the EV2 setup, but affording the Performax kit would be a little more stressful for me.
Old 09-28-2012, 01:50 PM
Post Fiend

strokin'_tatsch is a splendid one to beholdstrokin'_tatsch is a splendid one to beholdstrokin'_tatsch is a splendid one to beholdstrokin'_tatsch is a splendid one to beholdstrokin'_tatsch is a splendid one to beholdstrokin'_tatsch is a splendid one to beholdstrokin'_tatsch is a splendid one to beholdstrokin'_tatsch is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talyn View Post
Before you order from clay on the wiring kit, I think he mentioned something to me about them including all the wires now so you don't have to get the dimmer kit to get the wire set.

If you hook yours up the way everyone else does, the dimmer kit is useless IMO. It will never see the power or brightness they are capable of pulling off an already stressed circuit.
They do include the wires needed. So really the only point in the dimmer kit would be to set the maximum brightness, but mine are always turned all the way up and they are about like the stock gauges, maybe a little brighter.
Travis- Death Row Diesel Inmate #7
1995 F-250 RC PSD- because race truck
2000 F-250 SC LB 4x4 ZF6- 4" TB, 6637, TW and Gearhead tunes, 160/100s, Driven Diesel full fuel system, S365..
1994 F-150 4x4

Old 10-02-2012, 03:33 PM
Senior User

Bill97 is starting off with a positive reputation.
For what it's worth I'm running glowshifts. Seem to work fine for the price point. I did have an issue with my EGT gauge, and they replaced it for me. Overall pretty happy with them.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:37 PM
Post Fiend

Talyn has much to be proud ofTalyn has much to be proud ofTalyn has much to be proud ofTalyn has much to be proud ofTalyn has much to be proud ofTalyn has much to be proud ofTalyn has much to be proud ofTalyn has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by strokin'_tatsch View Post
They do include the wires needed. So really the only point in the dimmer kit would be to set the maximum brightness, but mine are always turned all the way up and they are about like the stock gauges, maybe a little brighter.
Thanks Travis.

They used to not include all the wires was what I was getting at. I remembered clay telling me something about it, I just couldn't recall how accurate my information was.

You used to have to get the dimmer kit to get all the wires needed, or use your own wire for 2 of the wires.
1994 F250 XLT 4x4 Standard Cab - T-444E Direct Injection Turbo Diesel, 5 SPD M/T Z/F S5-420, Rosewood 160cc Stage 1's, PHP Tuner, 6637, Short Throw Shift Kit, Valair Kevlar/Ceramic, 140V IDM, T-500, 285/75/16 Cooper Discoverer ATR. Steyr C9-A1.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:40 PM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill97 View Post
For what it's worth I'm running glowshifts. Seem to work fine for the price point. I did have an issue with my EGT gauge, and they replaced it for me. Overall pretty happy with them.
IssPro are made here in the US in Oregon.

Our feedback is put into their products.

They care.

Super High Quality Product.

Glowshifts and autometers are nice, but features don't mean **** to me when I need a gauge to give me info. I don't care how "pretty" it looks.
Function over Form.

Not ragging on your product, so dont take it that way.

IssPro is worth every penny.

Actually, I should put it this way.

If Clay is selling it on his website, that means whatever company he's listing Stands behind their product and cares. I trust his judgement on products.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:40 PM