6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Need help My Air Conditioning blowing hot air..

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 09:46 PM
rhinorider660
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help My Air Conditioning blowing hot air..

Hello I'm new in this forum, I'm looking to get some help. I have a 2008 Ford F250 disel truck 6.4 with 99k miles I'm the 2nd owner the 1st owner had a clean carfax well maintained and service as it should. This is my first disel truck so really don't know to much as far as working on them or what to look for. I have always owned Fords and never experians any problems with my trucks. The problem I'm having is that the air conditioning is blowing hot air, it was working fine two days ago, could it be it just needs air coolent? No sings as far as check eng light on or anything. Hope some one could guide me to the right direction before I take it in to dealer. Thank you

Old 09-27-2012, 05:11 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,414 Likes on 1,009 Posts
with 99K it sounds like a freon leak.

Old 09-27-2012, 10:17 AM
tangster
Junior User
Have you connected a set of Gages to the service ports to check the refrigerant levels ? As senix suggested may be a simple leak ? Its is a problem with auto systems

Old 10-02-2012, 09:11 PM
rhinorider660
New User
Originally Posted by senix
with 99K it sounds like a freon leak.

but no sings of leaks at all everthing looks good to the eye......

Old 10-02-2012, 09:16 PM
rhinorider660
New User
Originally Posted by tangster
Have you connected a set of Gages to the service ports to check the refrigerant levels ? As senix suggested may be a simple leak ? Its is a problem with auto systems

As I told senix I see no signs of any leaks at all.....I towed my toy hauler that week the ac stop working but like I said the truck drove fine did not over heat or eng check light or anything. I made appointment to have it look at by a Ford dealer hope this does not coast me a arm...I just purchase the truck about 3 months ago and know having problems early on......thank you guys for your help.

Old 10-02-2012, 11:02 PM
tangster
Junior User
If its leaking on the low side thats leaves little tell tail sysmpthoms as just low pressure gas is escaping on the liquid High side then you may find a wet oily fitting or section of hose that looks wet cross out the Low Pressure switch to ensure the clutch is engaging is not then several things to look for could be a bad fuse or relay to suppl,y the clutch with power to spine the compressor . If you are getting current to that clutch pack then you have either low gas or could be a blockage on the hide side but you really need a guage set to set lkike taking B/P you have to know the high and low side stioilic and distolic (: I've been in refergeritation work for 50 yrs not much surprised me any more (: Make sure the clutch is locking up.. I can send you a set of gages to iuse if you promise to send them back ..Make sure the clutch is energizing
Roger

Old 10-03-2012, 07:25 AM
washley1
New User
My 08 350 has the dual sided climate control. The recurring problem that I have had over the past two and a half years is that while my side is blowing cold, the passenger side would suddenly blow hot. The dealer has replaced condensers and electric boards several times; they checked out the air dams to make sure they were opening and closing right. We drove over 16K this summer, half of it hauling our 5th wheel, and only had the problem come up once, but I cannot say for sure that the issue is resolved. Glad I bought the ESP! What I'm trying to say here is you may not have a freon leak. It may be something far harder to figure out.

Old 10-03-2012, 03:47 PM
Terry SD
Freshman User
My 2010 SD 6.4 started blowing hot air,
The dealer had to put me a new fan clutch
on and all is well now ,Is there a squealing noise?

Old 10-05-2012, 03:51 PM
rtaylor537
Freshman User
Balance door motor

I had the same problem and it was the motor that controlled the balance door(s) which feed the air vents in the dash. Evidently they sometimes fail as it is not too rare that this happens.
The dealer had to take out the interior dash to get at the problem. Was a labor intensive job for a small priced motor failure.

Old 10-08-2012, 10:54 PM
gwcon
Posting Guru
Is there a clicking noise coming from the center of the dash like a cd player skipping before you start the truck? Hot on one side cold on the other? If either of those are happening my bet is one or all of the three actuator doors. I have had this problem on all three of my 6.4's.

Old 10-09-2012, 06:45 AM
Gearitis
Elder User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would tend to look at the blend doors. I had to have the actuators replaced earlier this summer. I was having nothing but hot air coming in but the air conditioner lines were cold and actually freezing over. I have the Premium ESP and Ford did the repair. Both blend door actuators were replaced and it has worked without the bangs and clicking noises and such going on since.

Old 10-09-2012, 04:39 PM
aquaman
Posting Guru
You can check the temperature of the condenser under the hood with your hand while the A/C is running. As a rough test, if there's no freon, it won' t be hot.

Busted blend door motors are probably more likely. Both driver side and passenger side in mine were replaced under warranty (fortunately!!) on 2 separate occasions. It involved removing the dash each time! They were constantly ticking as the gear used to move the doors was worn out or broken

The only way to check the blend doors without getting to them is to get a scanner such as AutoEnginuity that reads the door position PIDs. There's also a TSB on this, so it's a common problem
https://www.ford-trucks.com/tsb/full...p?tsb=09-12-15

Old 10-10-2012, 04:11 PM
dogger
Freshman User
I had this exact same problem with it being the balance door. First the tech could not find the problem, then it took multiple tries to get the problem sorted out. And since they touched it, I now have a squeak behind the dash they cannot figure out. I just live with it now, as I am tired of them screwing with it.

Originally Posted by rtaylor537
I had the same problem and it was the motor that controlled the balance door(s) which feed the air vents in the dash. Evidently they sometimes fail as it is not too rare that this happens.
The dealer had to take out the interior dash to get at the problem. Was a labor intensive job for a small priced motor failure.

Old 10-18-2012, 11:29 PM
mlbmd
Junior User
Door actuator on mine also. Irritating, but fixable. Hopefully a one time fix.