Sponsored by:

Best 4"-5" low drone exhaust for 2005 6.0 Ex

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 11:28 AM
hink10
Fleet Mechanic
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best 4"-5" low drone exhaust for 2005 6.0 Ex

I'm looking for a good 4-5" aftermarket turbo back exhaust for my 2005 6.0 Ex. I had a 4" MBRP Installer series on my 7.3 and it was okay, but quite a bit of drone at certain highway speeds. The 6.0 may be different regarding the drone. The aluminized construction of the MBRP Installer held up very well in the midwest salt so I see no real need to go to a stainless. Just need a good stainless tip.

I want good flow but want to keep the drone to a minimum. Also wondered about the factory cat? It has 158K, how restrictive are they, are they prone to clogging up? Would you recommend an aftermarket or delete? A delete may be a problem as I'm having a shop do it and I don't know that they would agree to do a delete. I installed the exhaust in my 7.3, don't have it in me to do it again.

Thanks,
Steve

Old 09-26-2012, 11:46 AM
Jarhead97
Senior User
I've got the MBRP 4" Turbo back system on my 05 and spend a fair amount of time both highway and city driving. I can honestly say I have not noticed any sort of drone.

I can't speak to your CAT question.

Hope that helps!

Jarhead

Old 09-26-2012, 11:51 AM
04fivefour
Senior User
I'm running the diamond eye 4" turbo back kit its aluminized steel. I'm running NO cat and NO Muffler. I only have drone when I'm going up will with a trailer because it stays in high rpms in tow mode. The kit only ran me 280 or so and I couldn't be happier.

Old 09-26-2012, 02:39 PM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 278 Likes on 141 Posts
Just had this discussion with Forest and his '05 Excursion, you only need to remember 4 letters when it comes to this: MBRP.

The other thing is to remember is the man who has lightned our heavy wallets and taken our heavy trucks from mundane to insane on a budget, Clay of Riffraff Diesel.

He's in your neck of the woods, so your new pipes shouldn't take long to get to you.

Old 09-26-2012, 02:53 PM
hink10
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Toreador_Diesel
Just had this discussion with Forest and his '05 Excursion, you only need to remember 4 letters when it comes to this: MBRP.

The other thing is to remember is the man who has lightned our heavy wallets and taken our heavy trucks from mundane to insane on a budget, Clay of Riffraff Diesel.

He's in your neck of the woods, so your new pipes shouldn't take long to get to you.
Thanks! That's the way I was hoping to go. I'll check out Riffraff for sure!

Old 09-26-2012, 08:15 PM
kornfanjoe
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Toreador_Diesel

im curious everyone always refers to MBRP as the be all end all of diesel exhaust. why is that? im not saying i necessarily doubt it but whats the real difference?

i bought a 4" afe turbo back and sound wise i like it, a bit more roar and whistle would be nice. it was about half the price of an mbrp system.

downsides to it are the 3.5" down-pipe to allow the connection of the stock cat which i deleted anyways, less body mounts than the stock exhaust system and without the cat i lost another mounting point which lead to my exhaust falling down and splitting at the down-pipe.

I gotta say the 6.0 sounds absolutely INCREDIBLE with just the short down pipe and then dumped (bad for the colour of the undercarriage)

I did leave it down like that for a day to enjoy it, the whistle sounded like a 737 jet engine and the roar after 2,000 rpm was very pleasing but very loud. sorry for the rant

Old 09-26-2012, 08:43 PM
hink10
Fleet Mechanic
Anyone have an opinion on a cat delete and has anyone had a muffler shop do it? Any real advantage or just keep the cat and be done with it?
Thanks!

Old 09-26-2012, 09:08 PM
hink10
Fleet Mechanic
I was just looking at Riffraff diesel, great price on the MBRP! It says it comes with a stainless tip, I assume a basic 4" tip? I think I am going to get what I had before, a 5" dual wall tip, I liked it a lot. Anyone know what tip comes with the Riffraff 4" aluminized exhaust?

Old 09-26-2012, 10:36 PM
wickedbusa
Freshman User
I'm another supporter of MBRP. I just recently swapped in a 4 inch turbo back on my X. My X had 109K miles when I did the swap. I planned on keeping the cat, but upon inspection, I discovered that the cat was damn near completely plugged! I was surprised that my truck was even running as good as she was. Anyways, I ended up deleting the cat for the time being. I only really notice a drone if I'm cruising at 60mph, but it's very tame. I can hear the exhaust roar outside if I stomp on it, but the noise is all outside. In fact, I hear the turbo whistle more than the exhaust note, but I have an 03.

Old 09-27-2012, 06:09 AM
fishintheobx
Senior User
Great thread... Would love to see other brands discussed. I have often wondered about the drone issue myself, and is one thing I need to know more about before I pull the trigger on a new exhaust system. Occasionally my wife will run the truck for a few days at a time, so I do have to keep it rather tame.

Checked out RiffRaff's website. For the MBRP alumanized 4" Turbo-back, I assume that comes with a muffler? If you do a Cat delete, it sounds like you need to buy a Cat-delete pipe. Am I on the right track here?

Old 09-27-2012, 08:00 AM
kornfanjoe
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by fishintheobx
Great thread... Would love to see other brands discussed. I have often wondered about the drone issue myself, and is one thing I need to know more about before I pull the trigger on a new exhaust system. Occasionally my wife will run the truck for a few days at a time, so I do have to keep it rather tame.

Checked out RiffRaff's website. For the MBRP alumanized 4" Turbo-back, I assume that comes with a muffler? If you do a Cat delete, it sounds like you need to buy a Cat-delete pipe. Am I on the right track here?
Almost all aftermarket systems retain the stock cat unless you buy the "offroad" kit. Mbrp has one of those but I don't think it fits our ex's. All systems I've researched come with some sort of high flow muffler.

Old 09-27-2012, 10:53 AM
X-Hibition
Elder User
Unless something has changed since I purchased my MBRP kit, in glorious T-304 SS, both the muffler delete and cat delete are available. I have tried cat delete, muff delete, and both delete and have never been bothered by a drone. All joints are connected with SS band clamps from NAPA. Pretty, and easy to swap delete pipes.

Currently I am muff delete only because last time I went in for emissions the first thing they did was put a mirror under the X and asked where the cat was? In my garage for safe keeping, not the answer they wanted to hear. Oops...

Old 09-27-2012, 11:13 AM
hink10
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by X-Hibition
Unless something has changed since I purchased my MBRP kit, in glorious T-304 SS, both the muffler delete and cat delete are available. I have tried cat delete, muff delete, and both delete and have never been bothered by a drone. All joints are connected with SS band clamps from NAPA. Pretty, and easy to swap delete pipes.

Currently I am muff delete only because last time I went in for emissions the first thing they did was put a mirror under the X and asked where the cat was? In my garage for safe keeping, not the answer they wanted to hear. Oops...
Thanks for the reply! Do you think the SS MBRP is worth the money vs. the aluminized? The last aluminized I had was still very good after several years. Yeah, big oops on the cat at inspection! What do they do in a situation like that? Do they just fail you or fine also? We currently have no emissions inspection for diesels in Illinois.
Steve

Old 09-27-2012, 11:22 AM
X-Hibition
Elder User
At the time I installed the exhaust system I was working in Wisconsin and was amazed at how all the vehicles were rusting away. I knew I would be home to Idaho eventually and didn't want to take any chances with the pipes. As far as the emissions inspection went, they failed me and I went back after I re-installed the cat. No drama, no fine, no problem. Emissions in my state are in two counties only, mine and the next. We have the population, so we have the tests.

Old 09-27-2012, 11:39 AM
hink10
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by X-Hibition
At the time I installed the exhaust system I was working in Wisconsin and was amazed at how all the vehicles were rusting away. I knew I would be home to Idaho eventually and didn't want to take any chances with the pipes. As far as the emissions inspection went, they failed me and I went back after I re-installed the cat. No drama, no fine, no problem. Emissions in my state are in two counties only, mine and the next. We have the population, so we have the tests.
Thanks, I live in the 'salt belt' too but the aluminized held up very well. I was tempted to buy the SS on my last Ex but rolled the dice and went cheaper.

Quick Reply: Best 4"-5" low drone exhaust for 2005 6.0 Ex