1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

86 Ranger 2.3 - Gas will not keep engine running.

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 03:33 AM
bozo4ford
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 86 Ranger 2.3 - Gas will not keep engine running.

86 Ranger 2.3 - Gas will not keep engine running.

Hello fellow ford rangers out there.....
Ok...here we go again. I'm still having issues, but it's intermittent.
1986 Ford Ranger / 2.3 EFI / 140 CID OHC /4-Cyl/5 speed

So the last time I was here, I was having doggy issues which I thought were fuel related. I'm still having issues, although it appeared to cleared up a bit.

When I start the engine, it cranks over, I'd give it some gas, it would rev up, then suddenly die, no matter if I pressed down on the gas pedal or not. After two or three times doing this, it would turn over and maintain a steady idle, then off I go.........

The problem now?
Well, late today I tried to get it going, and after about 15 times, I gave up. It would not stay idling, it would crank over then die. I did not want to ruin the starter. It seems the gas pedal is worthless after the engine decides to conk out, and no matter how many times I step on the gas pedal, nothing happens.

It would be so pleasant if I could get close to pinpointing this cause, instead of playing the expensive process of elimination game. I DO realize what a long shot that would be, for someone to just tell me, "Hey, dude, check your ##$@&&, that's definitely your problem!", but life seems never to be easy.

Has been replaced within the last few months:
Fuel filter regulator,
Inline fuel filter,
Cap and rotor,
Lucas fuel injector cleaner,
ECC computer, and Fuel relay switches, (multi-function relay/connector switch)
Air Control Valve - Removed and cleaned.
Checked all vacuum hoses.

Has not been replaced:
Map Sensor, (was told it's located on Pass. fender wall, but can't find it, according to the manual)
EGR Valve and sensor,
Throttle Position Sensor,
EVP sensor,
Spark plugs, (two years ago)
Plug wires, (two years ago)
Ignition control module, (replaced about six years, or more)

So, I can sure use some help from anyone who experienced these symptoms, and what did you do to correct the problem?

With trying to keep the gas going to turn it over, it does not, so to me, it seems to be more of a fuel problem than electrical, but I'm no mechanic. Thank you for any help! :-)

Old 09-25-2012, 06:14 AM
critterf1
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What's your fuel pressure look like?

Old 09-25-2012, 12:09 PM
bozo4ford
Senior User
Silly me....If I only had a fuel pressure gauge. My friend has one, but not so close. If they are expensive, I'd rather throw that money in repairs. But i;ll ask him and do the test. will post after that.

Maybe it's the pump. I only had the inline fuel filter changed out, and at that time, he noticed shavings in the filter, which suggested the pump was breaking down, buit only after, not during the filter R&R, otherwise I would have done that too. Thanks.

Old 10-03-2012, 08:12 PM
bozo4ford
Senior User
1986 FORD RANGER 2.3 EFI / 5-Speed / 4 banger / SOHC / 140 CID
Present mileage - 155,801.8

1) Replaced Spark plugs, and wires two years ago.
2) Replaced Ignition switch about five years ago.
3) REPLACED 02 SENSOR FEW YEARS AGO.

RECENTLY -
June 4, 2012 -
Replaced In-line fuel filter and removed IAC valve, cleaned out.

Since then, I've replaced, or cleaned the following:
1) Replaced Cap and Rotor

2) Replaced Fuel pressure regulator

3) Replaced corroded Fuel Pump relay switch/connector to the harness.

4) Replaced corroded Multi-Function ECC/EFI Fuel Pump Relay
Switch/connector to the harness.

5) Replaced Battery - within a few months.

PROBLEM: I have experienced rough idling and when I came to a stop light, I'd have to rev up the gas to keep the engine from dying.

Thinking it was the filter, I replaced that in June, which seemed to help, but in the last couple months the engine will crank only a few times, then it would turn over on the third or fourth try.

The other day, I tried it and now it only cranks, and does not remain idling.

So, would it be safe to assume that if I smell gas after trying to start the engine several times, that would indicate a fuel problem, ( ie: clogged injectors, bad fuel pump) BUT if I don't smell gas, that would most likely be a starter, bad plugs/wires, TFI, relays, etc.?

I pulled all four plugs out today and number #1 Cylinder's gap was about twice the size if the recommended .044. The other three were close to the gap, but all had carbon at the tips.

On one of the plug wires, when I removed it, the inside round metal contact separated from the cable, and stuck on the plug....It's been a few years since I bought plugs/wires, so maybe new plugs and wires would be nice, regardless if it's been less than 3 years.

If I have this truck towed o the repair shop, he will charge me $$100.00 to diagnose the problem(s). I am trying to replace the most obvious repairs myself, BEFORE he tells me all it was bad plugs or wires. DOH!

In 26 years, I have never replaced the fuel pump, but last June of this year, I replaced filter. It was still running doggish even after this, but now nothing.

So basically, when I crank the engine, it just dogs out, and when I try to accelerate the gas, nothing happens. I turned the key on accessory and then tried to listen to the fuel pump initiate by listening with the gas cap off, but I did not hear anything at all. Maybe it is the pump.

Thanks for any insight!

Old 10-03-2012, 10:27 PM
Furyus1
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think you're on the right track with the plugs, wires and maybe the fuel pump - definitely the plugs and wires, though...

Old 10-04-2012, 03:33 AM
michigan66
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did you ever figure out where the shavings came from? Insufficient fuel delivery certainly can cause the problems you describe. Testing fuel pressure and fuel volume should be done. The number of miles on your truck and its age warrant checking out the fuel delivery system.

Let us know what your mechanic comes up with for a diagnosis.