Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Super Duty & Heavy Duty 1999 to current Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines SPONSORED BY:

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-24-2012, 11:18 PM
New User

highcountry4 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Better gas mileage in 2004 F-250 Powerstroke

What Can i do to get better then 8mpg? I drive a 2004 f-250 powerstroke that is lifted 6 inches with 38' inch tires. It has an edge performance tuner. Is that good? Should i put a bully dog in it? Anything else that i can do in order to get better mpg other than droping it.. Thanx
Old 09-24-2012, 11:19 PM
New User

I am averaging 8mpg right now
Old 09-25-2012, 07:00 AM

redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.
Your lift and tires are the first reason. The lift causes more aerodynamic drag. The 38 inch tires cause more rolling resistance.

As for the tuner, I can't say one way pr the other.

A big factor in mileage is your driving. Power Stroke owners report good mileage gains by taking it easy on the throttle and never letting the engine go above 2000 RPMs.

2007 F-250 Super Cab Short Bed 4x4 XLT Sport Package 5.4L 3.73LS Tow Command

Stuart
Retired Master Sergeant

FTE Guidelines
Old 09-25-2012, 10:06 AM
Senior User

blueline970 is starting off with a positive reputation.
If you have an automatic trans need to trash the edge tuner. Hell on the trans. Might try looking into custom tunes for your truck though may only be able to squeze out about 1mpg. Post/search in the 6.0 forum and you will probably get more info.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:07 AM
Disgruntled Texan

texastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputation
As long as your truck's description includes "6 inch lift and 38 inch tires" anything you do will be pissing into a headwind. More air resistance, more rolling resistance, literally everything you've done to the truck makes is less efficient. As for adding a tuner, if you can square making more power by burning more fuel as a way to decrease fuel consumption you're going to be a rich man.

Well, less rich if you run a Bully Dog. That new trans you're going to be buying will eat into any economy savings you manage to imagine that you're gaining. If you want to tune it run a custom tuned SCT or PHP Gryphon paired with PHP FICM tuning, and at least the truck will be more fun to drive while still getting 8mpgs.

I'm all jacked up on America right now! Anyone want to hear me recite the Constitution?
Old 09-25-2012, 11:19 AM

Toreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputation
The only thing that can most effectively fix your mileage situation is gears...4.56 gears to be exact. You can't expect your truck to continue to get good fuel economy with bigger tires.

4.56 gears will put your truck back to 3.73 with your 38s. When I had 3.73 gears with my 35s, it caused a drag and I averaged 13-14 mpg even with a chip. After regearing to 4.10, I regularly average anywhere from 16-19 mpg even lifted.
Excursion & 6.7 Forum Mod Death Row Inmate #21
Black Beauty The Mighty 6.0: 2005 Ford Excursion Limited, 4wd "The 6.0" Bulletproofed by Powerstroke Enginuities Straight pipe, Atlas 40, Heavily RiffRaff'd, and Gearheaded
Big Red Beast The Mighty Excursion: 2001 Ford Excursion Limited, 2wd, "The 7.3" Built with blood and sweat by Me and Riffraff Diesel, heavily modded, also Gearheaded
FTE Guidelines
Old 09-25-2012, 12:21 PM
MMNC (SS)

Tylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputation
Regear 4.56 or 4.88
Old 09-25-2012, 08:39 PM
New User

So my best option is to regear to 4.56 or 4.88 gears. With that 6" lift will I be looking at a few more miles per gallon or just a small amount? What will the gears do to everyday driving? I can afford the bully dog system. I jut don't know if it will help enough to make that worth it. Thanx everyone for the knowledge and input. Any more ideas are welcome
Old 09-25-2012, 09:02 PM
Junior User

ktm101 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I am lifted 6 1/2"s running 37's and average 15mpg.. i am running 4:56 gears also to bring it back..dont let everyone fool you about the lift and tires..you just need to finish the job with some gears..
Old 09-25-2012, 09:13 PM
Post Fiend

Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.
With the Bully Dog start saving money for the new transmission you will
need it. Your better off with the STC and some tunes from Matt at Gearhead.
His tune does not eat transmissions and can help after you re-gear the truck.

Banks and the Dog bad news
Come over and visit and ask what people think
6.0L Power Stroke Diesel - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Sean
6.0l Forum Map : Ask me About It
Old 09-25-2012, 09:13 PM