Sponsored by:

Caliper placement

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 04:14 PM
sammie0126
Postmaster
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Caliper placement

I have a 2000 Ex with a build date of 5/2000 that has axles recently installed from an F250 (Dana 60 front and Sterling LS 10.5 in the rear). The guy who did the swap for me basically went through all 8 sets of rotors and calipers and found the best 4 of each an that is what he used. New rotors and calipers have been on the “to do” list but since this isn’t my daily driver it wasn’t pressing. Been having a small vib at about 40 mph and noticed it only starts once the truck gets warm and thought maybe I had a sticky caliper. So this weekend after a good hour drive I went around and felt all my hubs to see their temperature and noticed that the driver’s rear was almost cold to the touch, compared to the other three wheels which were very warm (as I expected). After looking at the wheels I see that both rear wheel calipers are rear mounted and the drivers side rotor appears to have little surface wear. It almost looks like it has road grime/rust showing on the rotor face. Here are pics of each.

Questions are:
Does anyone know if these calipers mounted correctly?
Both bleed lines are at the top and both are rear mounted, and according to another FTE thread for both to be on the top one should be front lead mounted, if they are the right calipers. There is another thread about the placement for calipers on a 2000 Excursion where I originally posted this but I thought I would try a new post to see if anyone could help.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-question.html

Is it possible that driver’s caliper is just not working – no contact to the rotor? And if so wouldn’t I have a light on or something? Don’t drive it much so haven’t had to really test the brakes yet but would to find out the hard way.

Driver Side Rear Caliper

Passenger Side Rear Caliper

Driver Side Rear Rotor Surface (not sure if you can see the surface well enough in photo)

Passenger Side Rear Rotor Surface (looks brighter and smooth no rust/grim on surface)

Thanks

Old 09-24-2012, 07:50 PM
labman1014
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Early build 2000 had the calipers mounted in the left side of the rotor as u were looking at them. Sometime in 2000 Ford change and put them all to the rear. My build date is 11/99 and I have the left mounted calipers. Just make sure when u replace them that the bleeder is on top and u will be ok.

Old 09-24-2012, 09:17 PM
sammie0126
Postmaster
Thanks. Ordered the rotors and ceramic pads today and am going to get the calipers local later this week - just makes core return easier.

With a 5/2000 build date it looks like I am right in the time frame when they changed it. I noticed when looking for calipers online that using the year 2000 you got 3 standard options, 1 was a rear to be used on either side and then 2 that have different part numbers and were left or right. Based on your answer I am fairly certain I need the specific left and right rears, as that is the only way to have both of them rear leading mounted and both bleed lines on top.

I will be sure to take my VIN with me.

Old 09-25-2012, 07:32 AM
Nsaan
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sammie0126
Thanks. Ordered the rotors and ceramic pads today and am going to get the calipers local later this week - just makes core return easier.

With a 5/2000 build date it looks like I am right in the time frame when they changed it. I noticed when looking for calipers online that using the year 2000 you got 3 standard options, 1 was a rear to be used on either side and then 2 that have different part numbers and were left or right. Based on your answer I am fairly certain I need the specific left and right rears, as that is the only way to have both of them rear leading mounted and both bleed lines on top.

I will be sure to take my VIN with me.
What rotors and pads did you order? I am about to do this myself and wondering what would be best for my 35's, you know bigger tires and all.

Old 09-25-2012, 07:39 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
I've seen some one post this deal before here. Kinda of weird but I have seen other vehicles with the same setup. Just cheaper/easier for the manufacturer.

Only pic of my 03 i could find. Both on the rear. I wonder if the 00's caliper bracket can be swapped around to accommodate the rear facing caliper.

Old 09-25-2012, 07:41 AM
sammie0126
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Snowseeker
I've seen some one post this deal before here. Kinda of weird but I have seen other vehicles with the same setup. Just cheaper/easier for the manufacturer.

Only pic of my 03 i could find. Both on the rear. I wonder if the 00's caliper bracket can be swapped around to accommodate the rear facing caliper.
If you swap it around the bleeder screw will be on the bottom which isn't good. Been there done that and had to go get a new one. I did figure it out though, thanks for your help and for posting the pictures.

Old 09-26-2012, 09:43 AM
sammie0126
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Nsaan
What rotors and pads did you order? I am about to do this myself and wondering what would be best for my 35's, you know bigger tires and all.
Powerstop plain rotors and Hawk Ceramic pads - got them both off ebay but I don't have the links handy. For all 4 corners I spent about $350 on rotors and pads. I am getting the calipers local (make core return easier) and so far I've been surprised to find that Napa has the best overall price that usually isn't the case, looks like those are going to set me back another $250 once I return the cores and includes brackets and hardware. Throw in some brake fluid and a new bleeder hose set and I'm about $625 into all new rotors, calipers and ceramic pads.

Old 09-27-2012, 07:53 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by sammie0126
If you swap it around the bleeder screw will be on the bottom which isn't good. Been there done that and had to go get a new one. I did figure it out though, thanks for your help and for posting the pictures.

Yes I know, I was implying swap the bracket around and getting the correct caliper for the rear facing bracket.

Just saying it would bother me if it were mine and I would want both sides the same.