Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-24-2012, 12:57 PM
Posting Guru

eatont9999 is starting off with a positive reputation.
WMO and WATF procurement issues

Hey guys,

I have gone to a few shops asking for waste engine or transmission oil to burn in my car and eventually the truck. I have been told two different stories by shop owners.

The first: (a corporate tire and lube shop) they have a contract with a recycler because it is corporate policy and they have to pay to get rid of the engine oil.

The second: (a small transmission repair shop) They get paid $1/gal for WATF and they have to have the recycler sign off on paper for the state or whatever.

My question to y'all is how do you procure waste oil and is it just my state that has some kind of regulation on its disposal? Any suggestions are helpful as I want to start blending higher concentrations of WMO/WATF. I currently only burn what I have saved from past oil changes and that has been long gone for a while now.

I will post this on other forums as well to garner more opinions.

Thanks!
Old 09-24-2012, 08:28 PM
Postmaster

joshofalltrades has a good reputation on FTE.joshofalltrades has a good reputation on FTE.
depending on your work schedule and other issues, you could start a small business changing oil and doing other minor auto maintenance. then you get paid for the work done, and get to keep the waste oil as a bonus.
personally, i run a mobile auto mechanic business full-time, and that keeps me busy. but i will mention that i'm running through my supply of waste oil fairly fast because i don't focus on oil changes, i focus on bigger repairs
Old 09-25-2012, 01:31 PM
Posting Guru

eatont9999 is starting off with a positive reputation.
That is a good idea but I don't have time to do it. I work 9-6 M-F and on the weekends I am with the girlfriend or wrenching on my own stuff. I'm going to keep looking for a supply, though. I have checked on craigslist but most of the time, the amount of oil is too small and far away. I do have an ad up there explaining that I am looking to get oil from a small shop or someone similar.
Old 10-23-2012, 08:09 PM
Junior User

Blind Driver is starting off with a positive reputation.
Craigslist
Old 10-31-2012, 10:48 PM
Senior User

racer30 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Here in WA we get the EPA guy's in here every few years and they want to see paperwork on who we have pick up are waste oil. They don't know for sure how much oil we send out so when a few gallons of it goes home with me on the weekend its just fine with me. Finding a shop close to you might be hard to do unless you can find someone that works there and needs some fuel made for trade. I am stocking up on WMO and WATF when I get the chance. Its not easy to find a good source of oil with all the regulations now.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:48 PM