Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-24-2012, 01:23 AM
New User

cyco is starting off with a positive reputation.
engine miss and kill when warm. p1280, p1211

Engine misses or kills when warm. p1280, 1211

I started with an occasional miss which would kill the truck after it had been idling a few minutes. No engine light would flash and the truck would start right up. This happened maybe three times over a month. The engine always cranks quickly. Then the engine died suddenly while driving. Again no engine light. The truck would not fire at all when cranking. After it cooled for an hour waiting for a tow it cranked right up. After towing home, it would still crank and run for a while fine when cold but it may miss a few times then eventually kill and not restart after warmed up. The icp did have slight oil in the plug. I tried disconnecting the icp when it killed and it still would not restart. Once the engine cooled it would run again. Up to this time I did not have any engine light. I did have p1280 icp low and p0340 cam sensor. Both of these would clear and not return until the engine missed or died again. (Typically 5-10 min once it heated up)

I replaced the cam sensor. No change. The same problem as above except P0340 did not return.

I again tried unplugging the ICP but did not find it made a difference when the engine died. I also tried cleaning the IPR and ICP plugs. Still no change.

I replaced the IPR with a new IPR. Now the engine light stays on. P1280 stays on with key on engine off and will not reset. After the engine runs a few seconds the P1211 (IPRnot controlling) will also set. The engine will start missing once it warms up again.

I tired wiggling the wires to the IPR and the engine would not miss. I also deep cleaned the IPR plug as it looked like it had never-seize compound and dirt on the wire side. The rubber seal which stayed with the old IPR was also broken and may have had heat damage. Even though the ICP had a slight leak, I thought it was ruled out with the unplug test. I also replaced the oil and oil filter.

Iím worried because the problem is getting worse as if new IPR or plug is bad. My next thought is to go to international and get an IPR pigtail and maybe also replace the ICP. Is this correct? Any other thoughts?
2002 f350 stock 7.3 210k miles
Old 09-24-2012, 01:49 AM
Post Fiend

Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyco View Post
..... My next thought is to go to international and get an IPR pigtail ...
That would be my next step as well. If you happen to have an old Under Valve Cover Injector harness you can source a pigtail that way....(the injector connector is the same as the IPR and EBPV solenoid connectors).

I have been seeing more and more issues with the IPR wiring harness lately....maybe they have reached their maturity and are just now starting to fail.
Old 09-24-2012, 10:22 AM
Postmaster

Pitcrw6 has much to be proud ofPitcrw6 has much to be proud ofPitcrw6 has much to be proud ofPitcrw6 has much to be proud ofPitcrw6 has much to be proud ofPitcrw6 has much to be proud ofPitcrw6 has much to be proud ofPitcrw6 has much to be proud ofPitcrw6 has much to be proud of
Riffraffdiesel has both those parts and might be alot cheaper.
Old 09-24-2012, 10:53 AM
PREMIUM SPONSOR

DP-Tuner is a splendid one to beholdDP-Tuner is a splendid one to beholdDP-Tuner is a splendid one to beholdDP-Tuner is a splendid one to beholdDP-Tuner is a splendid one to beholdDP-Tuner is a splendid one to beholdDP-Tuner is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyco View Post
Engine misses or kills when warm. p1280, 1211

I started with an occasional miss which would kill the truck after it had been idling a few minutes. No engine light would flash and the truck would start right up. This happened maybe three times over a month. The engine always cranks quickly. Then the engine died suddenly while driving. Again no engine light. The truck would not fire at all when cranking. After it cooled for an hour waiting for a tow it cranked right up. After towing home, it would still crank and run for a while fine when cold but it may miss a few times then eventually kill and not restart after warmed up. The icp did have slight oil in the plug. I tried disconnecting the icp when it killed and it still would not restart. Once the engine cooled it would run again. Up to this time I did not have any engine light. I did have p1280 icp low and p0340 cam sensor. Both of these would clear and not return until the engine missed or died again. (Typically 5-10 min once it heated up)

I replaced the cam sensor. No change. The same problem as above except P0340 did not return.

I again tried unplugging the ICP but did not find it made a difference when the engine died. I also tried cleaning the IPR and ICP plugs. Still no change.

I replaced the IPR with a new IPR. Now the engine light stays on. P1280 stays on with key on engine off and will not reset. After the engine runs a few seconds the P1211 (IPRnot controlling) will also set. The engine will start missing once it warms up again.

I tired wiggling the wires to the IPR and the engine would not miss. I also deep cleaned the IPR plug as it looked like it had never-seize compound and dirt on the wire side. The rubber seal which stayed with the old IPR was also broken and may have had heat damage. Even though the ICP had a slight leak, I thought it was ruled out with the unplug test. I also replaced the oil and oil filter.

Iím worried because the problem is getting worse as if new IPR or plug is bad. My next thought is to go to international and get an IPR pigtail and maybe also replace the ICP. Is this correct? Any other thoughts?
2002 f350 stock 7.3 210k miles
What is the part number for CPS you installed? Color of the CPS?
Get Tuned! 828-221-0076 ext. 802
Become our Facebook Fan
Old 09-24-2012, 10:53 AM