Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Converting EFI to Carb, please read before you roll your eyes.

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 08:45 PM
1800joedaddy
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Converting EFI to Carb, please read before you roll your eyes.

There are several reasons and most are invalid, that truth aside....
Everytime someone poses this question it ends up in a tailspin of heckling or mis-info. Is there an informative thread here or anywhere that goes in-depth to make the swap keeping most of the factory equip?

I've heard the E4OD could be made to work as long as the TPS could be married to the throttle lever. That and keeping the O2, MAP and IAC. The Fuel PSI can easily be regulated, the stock intake can easily be adapted to a 4150# Carb mount, anything I'm missing?

Please be constructive, I've read most of these threads and have heard all the critisims.

Old 09-23-2012, 10:54 PM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 964 Likes on 763 Posts
OK I read it all and I'm still rolling my eyes. I don't mind giving you constructive input.. you will need the TPS and MAP but not the O2 or IAC, but please do tell what do you think you'll gain from all this work?

Old 09-23-2012, 11:02 PM
Spktyr
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 1800joedaddy
There are several reasons and most are invalid, that truth aside....
Everytime someone poses this question it ends up in a tailspin of heckling or mis-info. Is there an informative thread here or anywhere that goes in-depth to make the swap keeping most of the factory equip?

I've heard the E4OD could be made to work as long as the TPS could be married to the throttle lever. That and keeping the O2, MAP and IAC. The Fuel PSI can easily be regulated, the stock intake can easily be adapted to a 4150# Carb mount, anything I'm missing?

Please be constructive, I've read most of these threads and have heard all the critisims.
What computer do you intend to use to control the solenoids in the E4OD? Because you have to have one. And since you have to have a computer to do that, and keep all the other sensors that you'd need to run it, and then have to apply $$$ mods to bring down the fuel pressure and other adaptations... why not keep EFI on the thing in the first place?

Old 09-24-2012, 12:17 AM
burnout400m
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, I read the whole thing. I guess that means I can do this.

I'm just messin with ya. Though I can't think of a good reason to swap to a carb.

Old 09-24-2012, 04:23 AM
1966Tbird
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What you need to do is get a carbed manifold of your choice and a 4bbl carb of your choice you will also new a distributor of your choice and a bypass fuel pressure regulator, Russell makes special fittings to adapt to your stock fuel lines that you can use, when I did my swap I enlarged the return line because I didn't think it was big enough to bleed off all of the extra fuel. If you go down to the emerita switch on your truck you can put a toggle switch in there to turn on the fuel pump in the tank or hook it to the ignition. I made a food thread a few years ago when I first did it, I've since modified my truck so much there isn't too much ford on it anymore and the info is hazy. You are in your own for the transmission though. Pirate 4x4 most likely has info on how to run it stand alone though. Any questions pm me if u want

Old 09-25-2012, 06:21 PM
1800joedaddy
Senior User
LOL I'm just trying to get the info. I agree that EFI is the better way. Am I swapping...? Not gonna lie... I've spent a ton of time on the subject. So far Im still able to make the peace with EFI so no concerns. The reason for the post is for the knowledge. IF.... I come to that final conclusion Id like to have an intelligent and informed map to follow.

Im asking because so far I haven't found a complete thread of reliable info. I don't know how, but Id like to.

I do understand the reason for vagueness am dissension is to turn folks back to fixing their EFI.

Old 09-25-2012, 07:21 PM
BrianDguy
Senior User
How about a stand alone transmission controller? Then you would only need to keep whatever electronics are required for that unit and not the engine.

I agree with the others that there is no good reason for this, but I can respect the search for knowledge.

Old 09-25-2012, 09:37 PM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 964 Likes on 763 Posts
The reason you don't see many complete threads on this is that most people give up when they discover how much work is involved with running a carb with an electronic transmission, if the truck has a C6, AOD, or manual it's a lot easier job but if you got to swap one of those gearboxes in that further complicates and adds expense to the job. The other thing is that there are a lot of transient posters that just come by here looking for help to solve their problem and when they do solve it or give up trying you never hear from them again so there is no followup on the thread to get all the details. There's nothing wrong with that but it means forums like this are never going to be a concise and comprehensive encyclopedia of information on all subjects, there is going to be lots of holes and you're gonna have to dig for the info.

Now that said a project like you're proposing is certainly doable, anything is doable, but the list of things needed is pretty long and if all you're after is a reliable driver then doing so is definitely going to be more difficult and expensive than just fixing whatever is wrong with the EFI system. If you're building a racing truck of some type that's different, the stock EFI system in these truck has definte limits, it's not at all hard to exceed those limits and when you do applying the necessary upgrades to allow the system to feed a high performance motor gets expensive real quick, so there is a time and place for this type thing.

Old 09-25-2012, 10:06 PM
1800joedaddy
Senior User
Fair enough.

I know there are expensive aftermarket fixes, what about a quick and dirty DIY?

1. Used intake $100
2. Used distributor and ignition mod $200
3. FPR $50
4. Fab mount and driver for TPS $?
Is this a good start?

Keep in mind this is using or reusing stock equip. Also that this isn't in contradiction to EFI.

Old 09-25-2012, 10:23 PM
studedude14
New User
Converting EFI to carb

Baumann Engineering makes a reasonable priced good stand alone controller (Optishift) for most transmissions.Basically you will be doing away with all computer controls. It would probably be cheaper to buy a good non computer controlled vehicle."George's Law' Given time and money anything is possible,and it a directly proportional formula, the more you have of one the less it takes of the other.

Old 09-25-2012, 10:38 PM
1800joedaddy
Senior User
We're missing the point.

How do we successfully run a carb on an EFI auto truck. Not the merits of doing so. Its a given that EFI is better and a carb truck is easier.

BTW I looked up the BE controller and it looks like about $600 for the kit. Add $300 for the used dizzy, intake, and carb. $1000 isn't unreasonable for a offroader or race truck.

Old 09-25-2012, 11:16 PM
Spktyr
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
We're missing the point.

How do we successfully run a carb on an EFI auto truck. Not the merits of doing so. Its a given that EFI is better and a carb truck is easier.

BTW I looked up the BE controller and it looks like about $600 for the kit. Add $300 for the used dizzy, intake, and carb. $1000 isn't unreasonable for a offroader or race truck.
Except you can keep all the stock stuff, plug a TwEECer into it, and adjust the tune on the fly with an offroader or race truck.

Old 09-26-2012, 12:07 AM
GNR22
Fabri-cobbler
Received 515 Likes on 340 Posts
A while back, probably 6 months or more ago, I asked about swapping and what it would take because I found some cheap parts to run a carb, and I was steered far from it after doing some research on MAF and what that would entail. Basically the statement that made me change my mind said that I will have all this money invested into a carb set up, but I will have 0 gain with it. Now that doesn't make any sense to throw money at something for no gains what so ever. And with 1000 dollars, I can build one hell of an EFI motor...I would have only had about 250 bucks invested into mine because I had most of the parts already, but still with that much money I could buy enough parts to make a much meaner EFI truck.

Old 09-26-2012, 08:33 AM
1800joedaddy
Senior User
Originally Posted by GNR22
A while back, probably 6 months or more ago, I asked about swapping and what it would take because I found some cheap parts to run a carb, and I was steered far from it after doing some research on MAF and what that would entail. Basically the statement that made me change my mind said that I will have all this money invested into a carb set up, but I will have 0 gain with it. Now that doesn't make any sense to throw money at something for no gains what so ever. And with 1000 dollars, I can build one hell of an EFI motor...I would have only had about 250 bucks invested into mine because I had most of the parts already, but still with that much money I could buy enough parts to make a much meaner EFI truck.
Im repeating myself, not looking for "Why" looking for "How".

Old 09-26-2012, 10:01 AM
firewood truck
Senior User
Im repeating myself, not looking for "Why" looking for "How".
I'll start with the fact that I haven't done this, so I'm just thinking out loud. I'd start w/ seeing if there are any stand alone controllers for the E4OD, I'm sure that there has to be something out there for the hot-rod crowd to use, they are a pretty resourceful group! Once you get a stand alone trans controller, it wouldn't matter if the engine is an old carb'd unit from the mid 60's or a EFI engine that has been swapped over to a carb.

I understand your frustration with the types of replies, I've gone through the same thing on here. Occasionally you get a response from someone w/ actual subject knowledge, but 95% is usually regurgitated babble from interwebz mechanics or people who think their opinion is the only one that matters.

Good luck w/ the search, if you find something that works please post it up.

Quick Reply: Converting EFI to Carb, please read before you roll your eyes.