1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

So you want GPS and cell phone in your truck

Old 09-23-2012, 02:40 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,051 Likes on 802 Posts
So you want GPS and cell phone in your truck

Before I start this post I want to acknowledge I found most of this information on the Model A board on the Ford Barn site and the HAMB.

I recently went on a rather long trip to Truckstock 2012 in my stock '49 F-2. For added convenience and safety I wanted to use my GPS system and charge my cell phone but I thought I had to add some kind of 12 volt converter. I started research the subject on the above boards and found that the new electronic devices run off of 5 volts, they use a smart charger and as long as they can sense a voltage source as low as 6-7 they'll send out the needed 5 volts to charge the device.

Here's my contribution to the subject. I started with a dual port power port I found at my local farm supply store. I liked this unit for a few reasons. First it's made of metal, I've had problems in the past with plastic ones that the mounting ears broke off after inserting and pulling out the plug. Second, it had two ports, one for my GPS and one for my cell phone. I could have both plugged in at the same time. Third, I thought it looked kind of period correct and it tucked under the dash it wasn't as noticeable as the larger, clunkier plastic ones I found.

Here's what I started with:

Custom Accessories dual cigarette lighter receptacle part#49997
Custom Accessories - DUAL CIGARETTE LIGHTER RECEPTACLES

Two 1/4" round head nylon round headed bolts
Two 1/4" Keps nuts, eliminates the need for a lock washer
One crimp on ring terminal with a 1/4"
One crimp on ring terminal with a #10 hole
One plastic insulator, I just cut a piece of 1/8" thick piece of plastic to fit
Solder iron and solder
Heat shrink tube

If your truck is like mine and has the stock positive ground system you will have to maintain a negative ground in the power receptacle. You will have to insulated the case of the power receptacle from the metal of the dashboard.

I cut the red wire coming from the center post of the receptacle, keeping the fuse holder for later use, attached the 1/4" crimp ring terminal.

I soldered the fuse terminal to the black wire coming from the receptacle and covered it with a piece of heat shrink tubing. On the other end of the fuse I crimped on smaller #10 ring terminal to attach to the accessory post on the ignition switch.

I cut the piece of plastic to fit and inserted it between the receptacle and the bottom of the dashboard, using the 1/4" nylon bolts and Keps nuts to fasten it to the underside of the dashboard. I also inserted the 1/4" ring terminal between one of the Keps nuts and the metal dashboard.

I used this set up on my 1600 mile trip without a problem. Both my GPS and cell phone worked great. Whenever my cell phone got low I'd plug it into the receptacle and it would charge to full. I didn't notice if it took longer to charge in my F-2 than it did in my daily driver but I doubt if it did it was much longer.

Old 09-23-2012, 04:03 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,776 Likes on 1,819 Posts
Dang, just look at the trouble you purists have to go through....lol

Just kidding. Until i started reading your post I hadn't even considered that it was an issue. Looking back, the last time I had a 6V Positive ground daily driver was way back before I had to worry about cell phones.

Nice clean solution
Bobby

Old 09-23-2012, 04:41 PM
yamagrant
Lead Driver
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Bob, I did not know that. That is very good info for the purist's. It's also very good for us darksider's worried about current draw. Kudo's to you my friend.

Old 09-23-2012, 04:57 PM
BigPigDaddy
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
This needs to be added to the sticky for Tips and Tricks!

The cell phone charger is the whole reason I considered going to 12V.

Old 09-23-2012, 05:32 PM
53 tonner
Tuned
Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
That's great info Bob. All I need now is to get my truck put back together so I can give this a try. Probably a year or two away yet. Thanks,

Grant

Old 09-23-2012, 06:22 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,051 Likes on 802 Posts
Originally Posted by BigPigDaddy
This needs to be added to the sticky for Tips and Tricks!

The cell phone charger is the whole reason I considered going to 12V.
I made a brief mention on the Tips and Tricks post but thought I'd do a specific post here on the main board. This way is some one does a search it would be easier to find.

Old 09-23-2012, 06:46 PM
medctr1
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
great idea....is soon as my truck is back together,I'll install some 6v recharging stations in my glove box.....
Great idea....great tip

Old 09-23-2012, 07:33 PM
48ATOY
Tuned
Received 33 Likes on 6 Posts
I put a 6v to 12v inverter with a double outlet
1 I plug a 12v radio in the other is open for phone or gps
all in the glove box

JOE

Old 09-23-2012, 07:33 PM
SloppyJoe1955
Junior User
That is perfect now I can charge my phone in my 55. Gonna do this next weekend.

Old 09-23-2012, 09:13 PM
ssj7kids
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bob,
Great post, very simple, and practical.

Old 09-24-2012, 12:30 AM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Bob, this is a great idea, and I'm subscribing so I can find it later.

Old 09-24-2012, 12:55 AM
badger_hound
Laughing Gas
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Very cool tip!

Old 09-24-2012, 07:16 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 48ATOY
I put a 6v to 12v inverter with a double outlet
1 I plug a 12v radio in the other is open for phone or gps
all in the glove box

JOE
Any info on the brand or where you bought it?

Bob,

This is a great how-to write up. Great job!

Old 09-24-2012, 07:48 PM
55 f350
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i as a cdl a driver { all cdl drivers here cannot } cannot use my cell in any way shape or from unless i want to wear an ear roach , and thats what they look like , a roach or something climbing outta that empty space we call our noggins , and absolutely no for texting period , and not in school or construction zones . they are working on making the usage illegal period for everybody , and the texting and school / construction zones apply to all now . so i have now convinced the wife too dispose of the damn pain in the **** bain of humanity cell phones period !!!!!!!!! can't use them for work when i need it the most for the postal peeps to call and find me or see what goodies i may be bringing , warn me of road issues etc. so why keep them ?????? i a long time ago wanted to return to the golden years of no personal communication devices from my fave sci-fi show star trek , and now i am going to do just that when the dain contract runsd out . it'll save me 200 plus per month !!!! i'll buy one of those el cheapo pay as you go for the glovebox of any ride i'm wandering long distances in otherwise .... WHERES WALDO ??????????? OOOOOOOOOOOOPPPPPS I MEAN THE ARSEHOLEASAURUS ????????????? the laptop is now hooked up to another internet provider at a much lower rate than my cell company so ................ oh yeah as a truck driver i learned the value of learning to read a map and even when she has her gps in her van i take my atlas and geuss who can find the right and quickest , most convenient way long before that computerized turd .................. my rant is over ! why do we need the devices anyway ???????

Old 09-25-2012, 04:48 PM
Sparky2531
Senior User
Great idea Bob...I'm subscribing so I don't lose this.

Thanks

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: So you want GPS and cell phone in your truck