Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > Southwest Region > Arizona Chapter
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Arizona Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: kermmydog

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-23-2012, 02:26 PM
Posting Guru

kedwinh is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
4.6 into an 85 F150?

Hey everyone.
Hope y'all are having a great weekend.
Ok, does anyone know anywhere I can check to find out what it takes to put a late model 4.6 in an older 85 F150? I've been running it through my mind for some time and think I'd like to find out more about whether or not it would be a worthwhile swap.
Thanks again.
Keith
Old 09-25-2012, 05:00 PM
Post Fiend

Bill W has a superb reputationBill W has a superb reputationBill W has a superb reputationBill W has a superb reputationBill W has a superb reputationBill W has a superb reputationBill W has a superb reputationBill W has a superb reputationBill W has a superb reputationBill W has a superb reputationBill W has a superb reputation
A 4.6 into any truck would be way cool! i know Kevin (Kstone's63) did a 4.6 cammer motor in his 63 f100 and it is bad to the bone! i think it would be worth while to do a swap like it. being i have never done anything of the sort... i really can't help.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:36 PM
Senior User

kstones63 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Make sure that you get the computer and any engine control modules that you need. The Detail Zone makes a wiring harness for the 4.6 conversions. It is pricey but it is a whole lot easier than dissecting the harness yourself. I did my harness myself and probably have 75-100 hours in it. I needed to lengthen wires to move the computer into the bed of my truck and change quite a bit of the harness. If you are up for the challenge, it can be done.
People are swapping these engines into early Fox body Mustangs all the time. Check in over on www.modularfords.com , they have a mod motor conversion section. I got some valuable info from them. They are kind of hard to get info out of but don't ask stupid questions and somebody will reply after a while. It kind of seems like they need to get to know you first. I asked several simple questions at first and responded to some to kind of break the ice first. They have some very knowledgeable people on that sight so it is worth the effort to go there. Their website is really a Mustang website but people do work on a lot of different vehicles.

Sorry for the long winded answer.

Kevin
29 Ford Sedan Delivery
99 F250 SD, CC, Diesel, 4x4
95 F350 Dually Flatbed Diesel
Old 09-25-2012, 11:03 PM
Posting Guru

kedwinh is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Thanks for the replies.
I've been running this through my mind for a few years now and think I'd like to learn more, and maybe even get started on the swap.
I had figured on an aftermarket harness just because it would make things a lot easier, but building one myself isn't out of the question either. What I don't know is what sensors/power leads are needed and what other inputs to the computer also.
Is there a curtain year range I should be looking for? Is one model better than another? I'm thinking I'd probably want a motor from a Mustang rather than a truck. I don't know that there's much difference but there usually is between the them. And it's a street truck not a work truck.
Now that Uncle Sam's decided I'm retired I've got the time, so why not build what I want. The truck has so much sentimental value it'll probably never get sold anyway.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:14 PM
ALIEN FTE AZ CL

kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.
Don't overlook the 4.6 out of Police vehicles. The weak link on them is the transmissions. The guys I know that have them like them but if you run them up to close to there max the trannys won't take it. A mechanic for a County in Nevada told me the answer was to change the shut off to a slower speed & the cops needed to use their radios instead of the throttle.
Craig
Old 09-26-2012, 08:14 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > Southwest Region > Arizona Chapter