Haunted Jensen Stereo.....

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 09:19 AM
Supercab
Lead Driver

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Wink Haunted Jensen Stereo.....

We have a Jensen am/fm/cd/dvd unit in our 2012 Forest River Sierra tt.
lately it seems haunted in that when it is pluged into shore power it will come on all by itself: I have a thread going over on the Forest River Sierra forum-the tt will sit in the yard for over a month w/o being pluged into shore power and the radio will be fine, then within 6 hours of being pluged in it comes on-NO alarm set-we HAVE pushed the reset button several times-there is anouther person that reports the same problem.....we previously had the power converter replaced under warranty is there possibly any corelation?? ideas? thoughts? Thanks!

Old 09-23-2012, 10:29 AM
dknouse
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had this problem as well on my stereo. After a while I figured out that somehow the alarm had been set and activated and the stereo turned on every time the alarm time came along. Maybe check that.

Old 09-23-2012, 07:44 PM
Supercab
Lead Driver

Thanks! We have checked and rechecked the alarm, and its not set.....today I found out that if I turn the speakers off (3 buttons-6 speakers) it doesn't come on, but turn one of the sets of speakers on and within 3 hours it will come on....weird but true...

Old 09-23-2012, 09:05 PM
dknouse
Senior User
I did a quick search and found quite a few references to this problem. The most common cause is when the main power for the stereo and the ignition feed are wired together to a common source. If any small voltage fluctuation occurs in your camper power system, the stereo acts like it would if you were turning on the key in your car and your stereo automatically comes on.

They say the fix for this would be to wire a switch in on the ignition feed wire to the stereo. That way, there won't be any errant power fluctuations that may trigger your stereo to turn on. The solution above was posted on another forum by a Jensen rep so it must be a common thing to happen.

I'm going to check mine for that too.

One guy said he was asleep in the campground one night and his neighbour's stereo started blasting the external speakers at 3:30am. The problem was he wasn't there and they couldn't shut it off because everything was locked up. That would be a good way to get evicted from the RV park.

Old 09-23-2012, 09:31 PM
Supercab
Lead Driver

This almost sounds logical, you are speaking about an ignition like the stereo is installed in a motor vehicle, but this is in a travel Trailer.......so I would need to install some type of cutoff switch in the 12volt power wire in the back of the unit?
Can you share the link from the Jensen rep? Thanks Again!

Old 09-23-2012, 09:35 PM
dknouse
Senior User
Old 09-25-2012, 10:38 AM
Supercab
Lead Driver

Interesting....The Jensen folks are replacing my stereo/cd/dvd player no questions asked.........I have the original unit out and unfortunitly NO wireing diagram here....I'm wondering IF the secondary 12volt power source can be eliminated to solve this problem?....