Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Battery light flickering

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 07:40 PM
cutlass
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Battery light flickering

I know- another flickering battery light thread. Well, my battery light flickers at idle and when I increase the RPM's, the battery light stays on steady.

Alternator or voltage regulator?

Since I started writing this thread, I decided I needed the voltage at the batteries while the truck was running and the battery light was on constantly no matter what RPM I was running it at. I checked battery voltage when the truck was not running and it read 12.6 volts for each battery. While running they read 12.4 volts.

What does everyone think?

Old 09-22-2012, 07:53 PM
indyF-350psd
you can't fix stupid!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
alternator......with increased rpm its putting out more juice so the light quits.......time for a new one....

Old 09-22-2012, 08:02 PM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I say a reputable rebuild, alt..

Old 09-22-2012, 08:32 PM
roostercrows
Elder User
I agree with the first 2 posts, the same thing happened to me.

Old 09-22-2012, 08:54 PM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I concur with all the above. But I would start by taking the alt. off and going to a parts store and have them bench test it. Also I would stay away from the remans done in Mexico or China.

Old 09-22-2012, 09:40 PM
cutlass
Elder User
As I've had a little time to think about why it quit on me, I remember when I was trying to start my new engine for the first time, I was not able to start it after many cranks. A short while later I realized my DP tuner was not pushed all the way into the CPM.

Since all that cranking drained the battery, I hooked up a charger and a buddy suggested I switch the starter over to START mode. I told him I thought that wouldn't be good for the electronics in the truck but he reassured me it wouldn't harm a thing. So I tried to start the truck with the charger on START mode at 75 amps.

Could that have fried my alternator?

Old 09-22-2012, 09:43 PM
cutlass
Elder User
Originally Posted by indyF-350psd
alternator......with increased rpm its putting out more juice so the light quits.......time for a new one....

The battery light was actually constantly on when I was at higher RPM's and dropped back down to a flicker at idle.

Now, the light is on no matter what RPM it's running at.

Old 09-22-2012, 10:27 PM
landmobile
Senior User
12.4V running = bad alternator. I agree that a good local shop is the best place for a rebuild.

I don't think cranking the engine with the charger connected damaged the alternator. Most battery chargers can't supply enough current to start a 7.3 on their own. When the engine is cranked, the voltage just drops too low to fire the injectors or turn the starter motor. The only electronics problems I have seen were from using a 24V battery charger/engine starter on a 12V vehicle.

Chris

Old 09-22-2012, 10:33 PM
1fixitman
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
HOW MANY MILES ON YOUR TRUCK?
It is possible that your brushes in your alternator are about to fail and near the springs. It could also have bad bearings and causing failure. Loosen the tension on your belt, slip the belt off and check your alternator shaft. You can not feel bad brushes but you most certainly can feel bad bearings. Check up down, left right, in out play. Have a good shop rebuild your alternator. They at least will put in new brushes and bearings. I would specify brand new bearings and ASK them how long to get the parts and get it done. Sometimes they have to order parts to get it done. I am sure they will not order parts unless they have your alternator in thier hands.
Dwayne

Old 09-22-2012, 10:34 PM
1fixitman
Laughing Gas
Also, what is your location?

Old 09-22-2012, 10:40 PM
cutlass
Elder User
Originally Posted by 1fixitman
Also, what is your location?

Kansas City

Old 09-22-2012, 10:42 PM
cutlass
Elder User
HOW MANY MILES ON YOUR TRUCK?
It is possible that your brushes in your alternator are about to fail and near the springs. It could also have bad bearings and causing failure. Loosen the tension on your belt, slip the belt off and check your alternator shaft. You can not feel bad brushes but you most certainly can feel bad bearings. Check up down, left right, in out play. Have a good shop rebuild your alternator. They at least will put in new brushes and bearings. I would specify brand new bearings and ASK them how long to get the parts and get it done. Sometimes they have to order parts to get it done. I am sure they will not order parts unless they have your alternator in thier hands.
Dwayne
218,000. The alternator is an aftermarket and I have no idea how long it's been on the truck.

Old 09-22-2012, 11:06 PM
1fixitman
Laughing Gas
If it is after market then just get another aftermarket and give them the core. No sense in rebuilding if it is not OEM. Check the parts websites for reviews on alternators before purchasing. I replied to the thread on soldering. I hope it all makes sense logically.
Dwayne

Old 09-23-2012, 09:13 PM
cutlass
Elder User
If it is after market then just get another aftermarket and give them the core. No sense in rebuilding if it is not OEM. Check the parts websites for reviews on alternators before purchasing. I replied to the thread on soldering. I hope it all makes sense logically.
Dwayne
Thanks Dwayne.

Old 09-23-2012, 11:17 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
I just replaced the alternator in my son's F350 yesterday while he was down visiting for the weekend from college.

I got him one of the O'Reilly re-manned specials with a lifetime warrantee and then gave him the volt meter I had plugged in my cigarette lighter and told him to glance at it every time he starts his engine from now on.

BTW, if I had been thinking, I'd have gotten him his own volt meter as preventive maintenance like Greg posted about way back when, in this thread: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post10806422

Originally Posted by Shake-N-Bake
Last fall we added a second 7.3 to the family which became my wife's daily driver. I decided to purchase some cheap electronic volt meters that plugs into the cigarette lighter socket to monitor the battery and charging system.

What I like about these meters is that my wife doesn't have to know anything about vehicle electrical systems to know when something is wrong. I explained to her that the light should be green before she turns the key on, then it will be in the red while the glow plugs are warming, yellow when the engine starts (glow plugs still on...) and finally green again when the GPs turn off and/or the system is charged up again.
I just ordered two more, one for my rig since I gave mine to my son and one for my Lightning since it only gets driven on weekends now.

Stewart