Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust system interchange,

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 04:22 PM
danr1
Lead Driver
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Exhaust system interchange,

I removed this system from my 87, its a RCLB F250 4x4 dual tanks with 5.8l 4b C6.

It was custom bent for the truck, nothing "off the shelf" as it were.

Any reason I'm missing that would prevent it from fitting on a 94 RCLB F250 4x4 dual tanks with 5.8l EFI E4OD?

I looked at em both, some small change in the exhaust manifolds not readily seen by eye? or in the trucks framework etc?

Looks like a direct fit but thought I'd ask before hacking the system from the 94 only to find its just a hair off, something won't see until actually trying to put it on.

94 no longer has its cat and the system would need a O2 sensor bung welded in other then that anything?

The 94 is gonna need a new tail pipe in the near future, likely before the snow flies. I'd rather not put another cent into what's there now. Its pretty much one big patch job from the cat's collector flange back and the O2 bung is iffy at best these days.

Old 09-22-2012, 08:08 PM
danr1
Lead Driver
Thought someone here would know off top of their head, save me some searching.

I looked it up, dynomax for example shows F2/350 "88" tru "94" same part number for "kit" full single exhaust system. Notable and all important omission "87" in that interchange listing.

So looked up the manifold part numbers see if something was different there, single digit change in the numbers. There is a difference in the exit angle on the left side, for the right the exits length is slightly longer for the 94 model year.

So its either swap or just replace manifolds or have the pipe reconfigured, bent again to adjust for differences. Later of the two sounds highly unlikely and a big pain to try likely in the end = scrap metal!

Any reason I can't put 87 carbed 351 exhaust manifolds on a 94 EFI 351? There'd be no change/difference in heads right? Napa's part search site (assuming its right) given all pertinent info for both trucks, it shows Part/casting numbers for head same both models. So no unforeseeable issues far as that goes or otherwise?

Old 09-23-2012, 07:46 AM
Freightrain
Lead Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I just bought that basic dual kit from LMCTruck for my '89 302/aod. Looks basically just like yours.

True dual kit in the middle of the page.
Truck Parts and Truck Accessories

It lists it as 80-91? Not sure what makes it not fit newer?

It was NOT a bolt on. Pipes were off here/there and took a welder to make it fit at all. Not bad for the money.

Old 09-23-2012, 07:54 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
I cant see why it would be different. Unless the C6 uses a different crossmember than the E4OD

Old 09-23-2012, 08:12 AM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 963 Likes on 762 Posts
Exhaust manifolds on the EFI motor are slightly different and no you can't put the carb versions on because the EGR connects to the front passenger manifold on that motor. The easiest soution is to just have those pipes modified to fit and also have an O2 sensor bung welded in near the passenger side collector. The EFI truck also has an air injection system that connects to the exhaust between the stock cats, so you'll have to either delete the whole system(recommended) or fab up another connection point for those air tubes.

Old 09-23-2012, 01:45 PM
danr1
Lead Driver
I looked at the cross member and while it is a little bit different for the E4OD it looks to actually provide for more room rather then less. That is the kinda thing was looking for, are the frames different, "look" the same or close enough no major change that might effect clearance between the two.

The EGR yea had not considered that, while I would be willing to do away with it to use that pipe I'd still rather retain it if can be done easily enough. As in right combination of parts.

The AIR system while still all there is useless as there in no longer any cat. Eliminating it at the same time is part of the plan. Its injected into the back of the manifolds on both sides.

Anyone put a second alternator where the AIR pump was removed? Putting one there might kill two birds with one stone. Maintain original belt routing (not a big deal though) and provide the plow/lighting more juice especially when running at night. Most plowing is done in the dark.

That pipe while is likely 15 years old or better it is stainless steel, dirty yes but solid as the day it was installed on the 87. If it was common cheap steel I wouldn't waste my time.

The EGR, I looked at a 87 f150 right side manifold but doesn't appear to have the port for one. Where did the F150/5.8l egr get its exhaust gas from? Perhaps only need reroute the tube, get one for a F150...... section of copper tubing appropriate size/fittings hand bent to fit perhaps.

While I'd like to keep it, loosing it in the deal to run that pipe isn't a deal breaker. Spends most of its time in parking lots, short runs at highway speeds between them.

Old 09-23-2012, 02:00 PM
Conanski
FTE Legend
EGR is internally routed through the intake manifold on carb engines, on the 5.8EFI version it's attached to the front of the passenger side exhaust manifold despite the fact that the EGR passages still exist in the cylinder heads and could have been routed through the intake!!!

Old 09-23-2012, 02:19 PM
danr1
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Conanski
EGR is internally routed through the intake manifold on carb engines, on the 5.8EFI version it's attached to the front of the passenger side exhaust manifold despite the fact that the EGR passages still exist in the cylinder heads and could have been routed through the intake!!!
Yea on the carbed motor, however the 87 "F150" and with the 5.8L? it was EFI was it not?

And the carbed version while "non catalyst" still had the AIR system, pumping air into the exhaust system on both sides.

Old 09-23-2012, 03:09 PM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Originally Posted by danr1
the 87 "F150" and with the 5.8L? it was EFI was it not?
Well it's your truck you tell me. If it is that would have been the first year for it so who knows what Ford did, the first year for the 5.0EFI truck motor was an oddball things with all sorts of unique parts so it wouldn't surprise me if the 5.8 was similar. If that exhaust is from an EFI truck it should have an O2 bung already though right?

Old 09-23-2012, 03:51 PM
danr1
Lead Driver
Well it's your truck you tell me. If it is that would have been the first year for it so who knows what Ford did, the first year for the 5.0EFI truck motor was an oddball things with all sorts of unique parts so it wouldn't surprise me if the 5.8 was similar. If that exhaust is from an EFI truck it should have an O2 bung already though right?
My 87 is a F250 and over 8500 gvwr so it was still exempt at that point the F150 as I understand it was not so it was EFI? that what I was attempting to verify.

If so where did it tap into the the exhaust system stream for egr gas.

Had look it all over again it won't matter at this point, took a second look over the whole deal now that had more information to work with.

The passenger side is a simple bend only needing the pipe put back in a bender and corrected slightly. Not an intricate piece of pipe by any stretch so while not a pipe bender myself, seen/understand the process, putting it back in the bender should not be an issue.

The driver side, only change is manifolds exit length, exit angle remained the same. If need be can cut out short section of the pipe and weld it back together shorting it, to clear drive shaft it'll probably require some adjustment.

Allows me retain the EGR saving me hassle of changing manifolds.

Anyway short of it is, no it will not fit. Not without a quick trip back to the muffler man and his equipment. A simple bolt up affair would have been preferred/ideal but such is life.

Thanks much for all the input.

Old 09-23-2012, 09:49 PM
Conanski
FTE Legend
OK.. so while you have the pipes at the muffler shop have them install a bung for the O2 sensor, that has to be installed in the exhaust or you might as well put a carb on it.

Old 09-24-2012, 06:46 PM
danr1
Lead Driver
OK.. so while you have the pipes at the muffler shop have them install a bung for the O2 sensor, that has to be installed in the exhaust or you might as well put a carb on it.
Oh no, no carb I intended to weld in a bung myself if did the swap here in the driveway. Yea the muffler man can do that too while he has it.

Save me getting stainless welding wire, he'll have it and will use shielding gas rather then flux core all that good stuff I don't have here anyway. Maybe even a "stainless" bung too. In fact now that mentioned it I'm going to check with him well in advance. So if he doesn't have any stainless bungs on hand, he'll know he's going to need one have some lead time get it.

Thanks again.