1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Detroit locker install question

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 02:37 AM
Bird Hunter
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Funny! Great information. No snow here except up on the mountain during the winter; but it just so happens that I live in what is probably the rainiest town in the USA. I may have to rethink things. I really appreciate everyone chiming in with their experiences. Thanks so much guys!

Old 09-27-2012, 12:00 PM
dclack
Fleet Mechanic
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Bird Hunter
...but it just so happens that I live in what is probably the rainiest town in the USA...
Seattle?

To go back to you original post, the only lockers that won't work with a limited slip carrier are the kind that replace the spider gears (mini spool, powertrax, spartan...). As already said, Detroits, ARBs, and Yukons replace the whole carrier.

Old 09-28-2012, 02:02 AM
Bird Hunter
Freshman User
Thanks DCLACK I appreciate the information! Not Seattle , but Hilo Hawaii. Seattle gets I think about 50 inches of rain a year; our average rainfall is around 120 inches a year. That's right; like ten feet of rain! It's a beautiful place but I'm not sure if a locker is the right choice given the rain and that the truck is also a daily driver. I sure would like something tighter than the factory limited slip though. Back in the day I used to own a (here we go) Chevy full size blazer(I know, I know; it was before I knew any better) with a twelve bolt rear. I installed a Moroso Super Brute Posi which I really liked. It worked really well off road; tight but good on road manners. Is there something like this that works for the 10.25? Most of our wheelin' is on really crude roads bulldozed through fields of black volcanic lava; really hard on the tires. I get into some dirt and mud up on the mountain when I go hunting ; but mostly it's crawling over the lava rocks to get to our fishing grounds. Thanks again for your help!

Old 09-28-2012, 09:44 AM
dclack
Fleet Mechanic
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
I installed a brand new factory limited slip a few years ago and it seems to be holding up just fine. It turns real smooth and the tires won't break loose unless I'm trying to, but it will still spin both tires in the mud and snow. You might try replacing the shim packs and see how you like it. Here's a good write up on how to rebuild it... Sterling 10.25 Trac lock rebuild

Old 09-28-2012, 09:56 AM
rusty1161
Senior User
Thanks DCLACK I appreciate the information! Not Seattle , but Hilo Hawaii. Seattle gets I think about 50 inches of rain a year; our average rainfall is around 120 inches a year. That's right; like ten feet of rain! It's a beautiful place but I'm not sure if a locker is the rightchoice given the rain and that the truck is also a daily driver. I sure would like something tighter than the factory limited slip though. Back in the day I used to own a (here we go) Chevy full size blazer(I know, I know; it was before I knew any better) with a twelve bolt rear. I installed a Moroso Super Brute Posi which I really liked. It worked really well off road; tight but good on road manners. Is there something like this that works for the 10.25? Most of our wheelin' is on really crude roads bulldozed through fields of black volcanic lava; really hard on the tires. I get into some dirt and mud up on the mountain when I go hunting ; but mostly it's crawling over the lava rocks to get to our fishing grounds. Thanks again for your help!
How about a True Trac?

Rusty

Old 09-28-2012, 12:41 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The Detroit Truetrac would be a great option. No clutches to service, smooth, quiet, and works great off road. The only thing I don't know yet is how it will react with one wheel in the air. I haven't had one of my front wheels in the air yet.

You can also add more clutches in the stock traclok to make it more aggressive.

Old 09-29-2012, 01:14 AM
Bird Hunter
Freshman User
Thanks again for the info guys! The Trutrac sounds really good and it's something I was considering. The Eaton site doesn't recommend anything above 32's with it though. I'm not sure how the thing would hold up with 35's. Any experiences with it with larger tires? I don't beat on the truck, but wheeling through all those rocks worries me. This is why I started considering the locker in the first place. Thanks again!

Old 09-29-2012, 03:30 AM
DarkStarMedia
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks again for the info guys! The Trutrac sounds really good and it's something I was considering. The Eaton site doesn't recommend anything above 32's with it though. I'm not sure how the thing would hold up with 35's. Any experiences with it with larger tires? I don't beat on the truck, but wheeling through all those rocks worries me. This is why I started considering the locker in the first place. Thanks again!
does eaton make an e-locker for the 10.25/10.5? That would likely be the best option... Second would be an arb... More expencive but best of all worlds.

richard

Old 10-01-2012, 12:14 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm running mine with 33x12.50s. Not sure about running it with 35's. I'm probably going to jump up to 35's or 37's at some point, so I will find out, but it won't be for another year or two.