General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Cottonwood (a tree) into a outhouse

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2003, 08:56 PM
Ultramagdan
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking Cottonwood (a tree) into a outhouse

I like cutting down trees. I make time to do it and it's a form of mental and physical therapy.

Some friends I know, want me to cut down a 6' thick Cottonwood tree. Those of you who know how big and massive a cottonwood can get may understand just how much mass we are talking about. I have a Stihl 44 with a 30" bar and I'm pretty sure I can do it so long as they spot for me.

Now the funny part. They want the tree cut down so that the trunk can be hollowed out and made into a outhouse!

Has anyone else tried this? Or am I charting new ground?

Old 05-16-2003, 10:20 PM
Like M. Fords
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The opening in the side probably won't be that tough, just time consuming and lost of plunging cuts. The part that I would be concerned about would be digging down around the roots. With all the dirt and rocks, your chain (and bar) won't last long down there, but in order to dig down, you must clear out the roots. Most outhouses are placed after the hole is dug; obviously, you can not do that in this case. Is it possible to dig the hole using a fireman-sized water hose after you reach dirt/root level with the saw. Yes, you will get wet and muddy doing it this way, but at least the outhouse wasn't used yet.

Old 05-16-2003, 10:21 PM
TheWiz427
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think your charting new ground.

Old 05-16-2003, 10:50 PM
alanscott
Posting Guru

Originally posted by Ultramagdan
I like cutting down trees. I make time to do it and it's a form of mental and physical therapy.

You Sir, would be a good friend to have

Old 05-17-2003, 04:26 AM
1997RangerXLT
Posting Guru

Cutting down a cottonwood tree is one thing, but making an outhouse is a pretty crappy job.

What kind of sap would use the outhouse made of solid wood? Would you get splinters in your butt? The whole idea goes against my grain! Besides if the wood isn't seasoned right you could have a big, nasty SPLIT (sp) in there

Old 05-17-2003, 07:45 AM
big1
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A very unique idea. And a lot of work.

Old 05-17-2003, 08:48 AM
Ultramagdan
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by Like M. Fords
The part that I would be concerned about would be digging down around the roots. With all the dirt and rocks, your chain (and bar) won't last long down there, but in order to dig down, you must clear out the roots. Most outhouses are placed after the hole is dug; obviously, you can not do that in this case.
I think they intend to take a section of trunk, hollow it out and place it over the hole. That way you would avoid trying to remove tap roots and ruining a bar and chain.

Alan, it has made me a popular. I've been called 9:00 at night to come cut down trees (a fire had got away and it was moving into the crowns of other trees). Helped others when trees had fallen on their homes and just gone to clear cut areas for others.

I think some of my friends like to make bets with others who don't know me. "You're going to call someone on this 95 degree day and their going to come and cut down that 60" mulberry tree? Ya, Right! I'll bet $20 they don't come!"