Lightning, Harley-Davidson F-150, Roush F-150 & Saleen F-150 SVT Ford F150 Lightning, Roush, Saleen and other performance F150's

lightning engine swap?

Old 09-21-2012, 04:09 PM
AppocAlexx
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lightning engine swap?

I have an 01 F150 5.4L that is running up in miles and was really wanting to add the super charger off the lightning onto my truck. My question is can a engine out of a lightning go into my truck with no other things needed or what else will i need to get?

Old 09-26-2012, 07:59 AM
stoffer
Senior User
Originally Posted by F150in4x4
I have an 01 F150 5.4L that is running up in miles and was really wanting to add the super charger off the lightning onto my truck. My question is can a engine out of a lightning go into my truck with no other things needed or what else will i need to get?
considering the 2 valve 5.4's are 2 valve 5.4's and the only difference is the stock motor in the lightning uses a different piston than the N/A motor does it's a direct bolt in and not worth using the stock lightning longblock over your n/a one unless you do a rod swap...

as far as what's needed to make an eaton work on a N/A F-150 you need to start with the madenterprise "list"

Old 09-26-2012, 08:16 PM
jrflans
New User
I bought a complete wrecked ightning and put the upper part and all the accessories on mine , then I sold the remaining parts truck.
I knew I had all parts needed and just had my ecm reprogrammed. Best way In my opinion to do this setup.

Old 09-27-2012, 09:25 AM
BURNSTOUGHFORD
Posting Guru
lighting's had forged cranks and pistons i believe. Rods where the same.

You dont need either to to a L swap though. Just the intake,charger, and accessories.

Old 10-17-2012, 10:30 AM
Luthier
Freshman User
Wiring harness, ECU, GEM, Lower intake, upper intake, blower, All the EGR set up , Inner cooler, Radiator for inner cooler, inner cooler pump, hoses, throttle body,CAI, Etc. , Etc. Find a wreck and swap...

Old 01-12-2013, 08:35 PM
RedDragon777
Senior User
Ok I have a question here, why is it in order to do a lightning swap the ECM and wiring harness are needed? If the engine and everything is the same and lets say the IC parts are sourced through the after market could the swap be done with just the brackets pulleys and supercharger? Would it not be the same like when kenne bell was selling supercharger kits for the f150 and expedition. I ask because a friend found a HD engine for me for cheap but all it is, is the engine with all pullies and brackets but no computer or IC stuff. My F250 LD already has an E4OD so really I believe I just need the new style heads and the pulley bracket bolts since I plan on going with a MP pulley bracket and Whipple 3.4 of my buddies old engine.

Old 01-12-2013, 09:48 PM
jrflans
New User
Originally Posted by RedDragon777
Ok I have a question here, why is it in order to do a lightning swap the ECM and wiring harness are needed? If the engine and everything is the same and lets say the IC parts are sourced through the after market could the swap be done with just the brackets pulleys and supercharger? Would it not be the same like when kenne bell was selling supercharger kits for the f150 and expedition. I ask because a friend found a HD engine for me for cheap but all it is, is the engine with all pullies and brackets but no computer or IC stuff. My F250 LD already has an E4OD so really I believe I just need the new style heads and the pulley bracket bolts since I plan on going with a MP pulley bracket and Whipple 3.4 of my buddies old engine.
You can use your wiring harness and ECM. You will need the ECM reprogrammed though. You can utilize a different tank and pump for intercooler system connected to the factory intercooler under the blower.

Old 01-12-2013, 11:16 PM
Pili
Senior User
That harley motor has the same weak rods as every 5.4 has. And honestly the second you get into boost with that 3.4 you will have 8 holes in the sides of the block. Since the info needed is not here. i would suggest checking out lightningrodder.com, lightninggarage.com, or nloc.net. If you were serious about using that whipple i would have at least 15k put aside for a built long block, built trans, fuel system, ect.

Old 01-13-2013, 08:36 AM
RedDragon777
Senior User
The fuel system i am going to see if a member from the S197 forums can mod my current fuel set up with a walbro 400 and the trans i was already saving to have sent out to BTS to get beefed up. So would the rods be the only problem? Did the F250LD get anything different in the engine or is it the exact same as the Harley engine. I plan to keep and rebuild my current engine if possible. My truck has 125,000 miles on it where that Harley motor has close to 160,000.

Old 01-13-2013, 09:26 AM
Pili
Senior User
The fuel system i am going to see if a member from the S197 forums can mod my current fuel set up with a walbro 400 and the trans i was already saving to have sent out to BTS to get beefed up. So would the rods be the only problem? Did the F250LD get anything different in the engine or is it the exact same as the Harley engine. I plan to keep and rebuild my current engine if possible. My truck has 125,000 miles on it where that Harley motor has close to 160,000.
Most guys use 3 255 walbros, fore or modified stock hat, and metco rails. Im not sure if 1 400 will work i would suggest talking to your tuner about that. Being in TX PSI motorsports is the best lightning tuner there. I seriously doubt your E4OD will hold the power even if BTS builds it. I would suggest going with the 4r100 and having BTS build that. With the power the 3.4 can make it is known to kill transmissions. Yes rods are the weak point. In any 5.4 making 450-500 rwhp they tend to making windows in the block. To my knowledge the only difference between a N/A 5.4 and a factory supercharged 5.4 in slightly higher compression. And some had forged cranks and some didn't

Edit: Found the list of what you need http://www.madenterprise.com/scparts.htm Mike is good ppl with great customer service. You dont have to buy from him but the list gives you an idea of what you will need.

Last edited by Pili; 01-13-2013 at 09:33 AM. Reason: more info
Old 06-04-2013, 09:13 PM
coopdagook
Senior User
Originally Posted by Pili
That harley motor has the same weak rods as every 5.4 has. And honestly the second you get into boost with that 3.4 you will have 8 holes in the sides of the block. Since the info needed is not here. i would suggest checking out lightningrodder.com, lightninggarage.com, or nloc.net. If you were serious about using that whipple i would have at least 15k put aside for a built long block, built trans, fuel system, ect.
I have a 93L and I'm a member at nloc.net, check them out, when it comes to boosted trucks, these guys know it all...

Old 06-20-2013, 02:54 PM
stoffer
Senior User
Originally Posted by coopdagook
I have a 93L and I'm a member at nloc.net, check them out, when it comes to boosted trucks, these guys know it all...

Lightning Garage is starting to over shadow NLOC with Gen 1 stuff (the records on NLOC are there though)

and

Lightning Garage and Lightning Rodder are the sites for Gen2 / Harley related stuff

*EDIT* anyone who insist the ECM needs to be swapped over is a moron and should be ignored, as the 4r100 ECM won't operate a 4r70 transmission...