1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F250 4x4 V10 automatic questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 06:36 AM
Kingfisher591
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
F250 4x4 V10 automatic questions

I am new so bear with me about all of this.

I have a F250 4x4 V10 Automatic Super Duty.

The Vehicle is a rebuild. From a wreck to the front end that I was told from the person I purchased the vehicle from. Things aren't equating out to what is going on.
I am having Transmission shifting issues. No speedometer I took it in and had it put on a scanner. One of the alarms is a "P0500" "Speed Sensor" Also "B1342". I went to parts store pick up both sensors one for the rear-end and the other for the transmission. The Tech. Suggested I start at the sensors.
The one for the rear-end was a easy find. The transmission is another story. I Dropped the cross member. Searching the tail end of the transmission. Ahead of the transfer case. I have been unable to locate it. I found the plug on the wiring harness. But not where it is located on the transmission. There is a Cast Iron adapter to bolt the transfer case to the transmission. (That serves as a tail housing). I would assume that the sensor would be located in this adapter. I spent like 3 hours looking for this sensor yesterday. The truck was a farm truck and there is alot of dirt on top of the transmission. I have blew off and pressure washed what I could access. I pulled the boot off of the cab floor that engages the transfer case. I used inspection mirrors to try and locate the sensor. Having removed the transmission cross member, to have better access to view the top side easier. I spoke with a Ford Service Tech and he explained the sensor is located on the top of the transmission towards the rear.

I have not ran the VIN to find out what drive train came with this vehicle.
I am thinking that some components have been changed out on the vehicle. Also the wiring harness the way that it is routed the plug for the transmission speed sensor will not reach the top of the transmission without rubbing the drive-line going to the front differential.

My questions are.

Is this sensor supposed to be located on the adapter or main transmission housing?

Is it possible that the adapter was replaced possibly from a standard transmission?

Or does the standard transmission also have a speed sensor on it?

Were there any automatics transmissions manufactured that didn't have the speed sensor?

Is it possible that the computer reads from the rear-end sensor?

Is it possible to reprogram the computer to read the rear-end sensor?

Is it possible that the computer was replaced and is formatted to read a transmission sensor?

Thank in advance

Old 09-21-2012, 11:02 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,573 Likes on 1,051 Posts
I think the sensor is on the cast iron extension housing between the transfer case and the trans. It might be just in front of that, I can't remember.

Your transmission is a 4R100. It has a speed sensor at the front of the trans and the rear of the trans. The extension housing might have come from an E4OD, which was the predecessor to the 4R100. It did not have a speed sensor.

The computer needs all of it's sensors.. With any of them missing it is going to have issues. It is possible to reprogram the computer to ignore the sensors, but it is not practical. You will need to find someone that is proficient in Ford programming language, and someone that understands the software and transmission function well enough to tell that person how to develop a new computer program that can operate the trans without that information. You could buy brand new truck for less than what this would cost.

Old 09-25-2012, 07:14 AM
Kingfisher591
New User
Mark,

Thank you for the reply.

Just to make a update about what I have discovered so far.

The ABS sensors are not there. The wires behind the splash guards are though.
Also I am not seeing the sensor mounting bracket around the hub. spindle, caliper or where ever it attaches. I did not see the counters that activates the sensors. I have had the hubs disassembled because the axle seals had to be replaced.

Question is their a place to take the computer to see what parameters are set to see how this vehicle is set up for speed sensing?

Also I am needing some help with parts that are reasonably priced.

Both axles. Where they run on the needle bearing is worn drivers side .025 passenger is .03

I am also looking for the mounting brackets for the ABS sensors.

Also the pieces (Not sure of the name) that activate the ABS sensors.

Does anyone know what year models will interchange with this truck?

It seems This project is turning into a small nightmare. Of getting it back working properly

Thanks

Old 09-25-2012, 07:59 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

If the computer is running a V10 automatic it is expecting a 4R100 with a turbine speed sensor, an output speed sensor, and a vehicle speed sensor located on top of the rear differential.

Old 09-25-2012, 09:15 AM
Kingfisher591
New User
Mark,

How can a layman tell the difference between these 2 transmissions

4R100 E4OD

Thanks

Old 09-25-2012, 03:33 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

The 4R100 has two speed sensors on top of the transmission, the E4OD has none.

Old 09-25-2012, 05:39 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Some of the early super dutys did not have abs sensors on the front unit bearings because it only rear abs. That is why both abs and non abs unit bearings can come up when searching for parts Most stores and shops will stock the abs unit bearings because you can use an abs bearing on a non abs truck. They just cut the wire off at the abs sensor on the non abs trucks. The abs sensor on the unit bearing reads a tone ring on the inside of the unit.

You can get the needle bearings and stub shafts at RockAuto Auto Parts and their prices are some of the best. I actually was just pricing needle bearings on there the other day.

Here is some info on the needle bearing job.
Welcome to guzzle's 4x4 Needle Bearing Maintenance Web Page

Old 09-26-2012, 03:31 PM
Kingfisher591
New User
Mark,

I really do appreciate your help here. Thank you. Please bear with me. I have more questions.

Would the wiring harness for both of the front and rear speed sensors be in the same Wiring Loom?

Because the harness only has 1 plug that a sensor would plug into. It will NOT reach the top of the transmission. It then leads over the the solenoid valve plug. With no other plugs hanging loose. There is another set of wires going to the plug next to the shifting mechanism. But no loose plug for a sensor as you are stating. There is now where I am seeing a plug that would be designated for the front sensor as you mention for a 4R100 transmission. Which would depict going to the front speed sensor. Its not there.

I spoke with a Ford mechanic the other day. He stated that it could be sensing off of the front and rear ABS sensors. Is this a possibility?

So how do I track down how this vehicle is set up currently? To detect Speed Sensing?

Is there someplace that can plug into the computer and read the parameters and see how it is set up?

I don't care to go get a 4R100 trans if it is not set up for one.

Is there a way to run the VIN to tell what trans came in this truck?

Also how the ABS was set up? Because the cables are hanging that go to the front axles.

When I spoke with my local ford dealer the guy told me that they can only go back 10 years.

Old 09-26-2012, 08:58 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Originally Posted by Kingfisher591
Would the wiring harness for both of the front and rear speed sensors be in the same Wiring Loom?
I don't know how the wiring harness is built.

Because the harness only has 1 plug that a sensor would plug into. It will NOT reach the top of the transmission. It then leads over the the solenoid valve plug. With no other plugs hanging loose. There is another set of wires going to the plug next to the shifting mechanism. But no loose plug for a sensor as you are stating. There is now where I am seeing a plug that would be designated for the front sensor as you mention for a 4R100 transmission. Which would depict going to the front speed sensor. Its not there.
I wonder if someone replaced the harness with an older model harness that was for an E4OD that didn't have the speed sensors.

I spoke with a Ford mechanic the other day. He stated that it could be sensing off of the front and rear ABS sensors. Is this a possibility?
Not for a 4R100 transmission.

So how do I track down how this vehicle is set up currently? To detect Speed Sensing?
What is the part number of the PCM?

Is there someplace that can plug into the computer and read the parameters and see how it is set up?
Not that I know of. Maybe one of the aftermarket chip vendors could do that? I don't know.

Is there a way to run the VIN to tell what trans came in this truck?
Transmission data is not in the VIN. Until the truck is 10 years old a Ford dealer can input the VIN into their computer and print an "as built" report. The data is dumped once the truck turns 10, so your's is gone.

Also how the ABS was set up? Because the cables are hanging that go to the front axles.
Not my area of expertise.

When I spoke with my local ford dealer the guy told me that they can only go back 10 years.
That's correct.